Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannodale or Trek?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannodale or Trek?

First time poster, and what a great forum .

Am going this week to purchase a Cyclo, have two models I am interested in.

Cannondale XR7 - deciding factor is disc brakes , and like its styling.

Trek X01 - I like the color and frameset , and wheels, but it lacks the disc's, also lacks top bar brake levers, but that is not a big problem to install.

The Trek top tube looks to slope more than the Cannondales at standover point.

Both bikes have been priced to me identical ($1300 range), and I am used to having discs , and wont be racing this bike in true Cyclocross races, mainly it will be my road/ fun bike for daily 10-20 mile rides.

I really like the XR7 the best, but wonder if I am trading one thing for another by overlooking the Trek?

The forum here on Cyclocross has been a great source of info on these bikes. If you reply, please give opinions on these two bikes only , I don't want to get more confused by the dozen of other brands!

I have a Giant NRS2 with discs, been riding MTB, and have always wanted a road bike in addition. The features of the Cyclocross best fit my style of riding.

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 07-09-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonder if the moderator will correct my thread topic misspelling of Cannondale? lol
Old 07-10-08, 08:09 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, the Cantis on the XO-1 are going to have enough stopping power- I have a friend who uses his as a road bike during the spring and summer and he's always been fine. The XR7 has decent disc brakes, but not super nice ones. As well, the XO-1 has much better components on it.
Old 07-10-08, 08:14 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek.

... Brad
Old 07-10-08, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C-dale
Old 07-10-08, 09:56 AM
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canti's > non-hydro discs

Go with the Trek.
Old 07-10-08, 11:45 AM
GJD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Cannondale X6 and prefer it over the X7 for cross. Frame on the X6 is CAAD9, adapted for cyclocross. Probably hard to find a stiffer frame for racing. Its actually cheaper too.....
Old 07-10-08, 07:23 PM
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definately the trek. The C-Dale has 9 speed sora, vs 105 on the Trek.
Old 07-10-08, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Beater Managerie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hard to go wrong, you seem to like the Cdale, have you tried the X-6?
Old 07-12-08, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xr7

Have been trying to post this, my posting wouldn't go through.

Have been trying to reply for a couple of days, something wrong with the forums server.

Well, the deal is done, went to the bike shop and purchased the XR7 before reading all the good advice here.
They had to special order it, and it turned out it was the last 2008 XR7 Cannondale at the factory from what I understand. I am not sure I can cancel the order and get either the XR6 or the Trek XO1 now, but both of those bikes are the same price as the XR7 , I think.

I also bought some Shimano combo pedals,SPD on one side, platform on the other , ultralight, $85 bucks, and some Bontrager road tires, I wanted a wireless cyclometer, but the shop only had one style, which was too expensive and I didnt get. Total for Bike,pedals ,tires and tax was $1536 ($1299 for bike). Note: XR6 at same shop $1249.

I want a CatEye wireless , cyclo computer any suggestions? One thing concerns me about having the discs is if in the future I decide to purchase another wheelset in order to keep the road tires ,I do believe the setup for it is going to be much higher in cost than the cantilever brake setup..

Thanks once again for all your advice, even though most people favored the Trek or Xr6, I just hope I am not dissapointed in my choice. The bike should be here next week.

Note: I did call the bike shop and was unable to change my order as it had already been shipped , and my order was termed "special order" . I think I will be please with it, as I am not gping to race it, it will mainly serve as my combo bike for my rides. My concern is the sizing right now. 5'9"/30" inseam and they sized me with the 52cm frame .

Once again thanks to all for your advice, whats done is done...I will post either some pictures or a report sometime next week. I am just curious however, why did they install the lower end (Sora) components on this bike?

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 07-12-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 08:34 AM
another guy who rides

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale ST400 touring / 2008 Cannondale X7 cyclocross commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just special ordered an XR7 through my LBS here in NoVA, they told me to bring it back if I really didn't like, I'm sure your LBS will work with you if you aren't happy with it. (If they care about bikes, they care about making their customers happy.) I commute on my bike and the LBS didn't recommend anything more for what I was going to use it for. Supposedly there where only 9 left at the factory when I ordered it, they were sold out because of the upcoming cyclocross season.

I currently have an 18 yo touring bike and wanted something faster and for rain that would still take some abuse and have drop handlebars, without getting caught up in whatever the "best" or "optimal" is. Tonight is my first real ride on it, it's going to be a long day until then. ;-)

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-08, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dkeagle

Oh , it helps, I am glad you got your bike, mine still hasn't arrived.

What you told me is reassuring , I just simply liked the styling and features on the XR7 bike, most likely the Sora shifters will be okay for my riding. The XR7 looks uncluttered, if I had wanted to race this bike , which is way beyond my ability, I would have gone with the other models.

I wanted a combo bike, a trail bike and a road bike, and the XR7 fit the bill, in addition to disc brakes.

You are lucky about your LBS standing behind should you not like it. The one I ordered from didn't offer that option.

I am anxiously awaiting the bike. Thanks for posting. And most important , let me know what you think.
Old 07-16-08, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have an 07 Cannondale cyclocross disc Optimo 2 and I love it. Discs on a road bike are awesome.

I use this bike for everything. Mine has a 105 rear, and I upgraded to 105 brifters. I also run a Brooks Swift saddle for a touch of retro. I run road tires almost all the time and ride group rides with the local bike club with no problem.

Note the Disc and Canti Cannondales are very different frames, and the CAAD9 Cyclocross frame has little to do with the Road CAAD 9. My Optimo frame looks more like my wifes CAAD8 road frame than the Canti frame with its unified upper seat stay. My seat stays are curved and really ride nice even though the whole bike is alu even the fork. The down tube is massive, this is a seriously stiff main triangle yet it rides great on road and off.

I am sure you will love your new cannondale.

Brooks
Old 07-16-08, 09:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skier

Going to pick up my bike tomorrow, sounds like you really like your model!
Old 07-17-08, 09:40 AM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
FWIW I think you will love the disk brakes on the Cdale. No squeaky breaks and fussing with canti's = greatness IMHO.
Old 07-17-08, 12:33 PM
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't let the bitter trek riders try to make you feel miserable with your decision. That C-dale will be more than enough to suit your purposes.

Always remember: Riders aspire for C-dales, unfortunately some "settle" for a ... Trek.

Every Trek rider I've met has harbored deep down anger and remorse. Such a bitter and angry crowd they are... especially when they get their a**ses kicked by Cannondales.

The only good thing about Trek was the Lemond line.

Now well.. pretty much pushin recycled Taiwanese scrap metal. Ugly too.
Old 07-17-08, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Those Bikes"

Ha! Thanks for putting things in their correct perspective!
Don't let the bitter trek riders try to make you feel miserable with your decision. That C-dale will be more than enough to suit your purposes.

Always remember: Riders aspire for C-dales, unfortunately some "settle" for a ... Trek.

Every Trek rider I've met has harbored deep down anger and remorse. Such a bitter and angry crowd they are... especially when they get their a**ses kicked by Cannondales.

Also for giving me a big smile, my new ride (XR7) is soo nice, I rode it twice today! I may ride it twice tomorrow too! I don't regret my decision .
Old 07-18-08, 07:08 PM
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrianFly

OMG stop the world I'm getting off!! How on earth could a C-Dale owner call any other brand of bike ugly? C-Dale wrote the book on how to build ugly bikes.
Old 07-21-08, 12:04 PM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
My Trek OX-1 imo was a really nice cross bike but the AL frame was really stiff. The Lemond I just picked up in OX Platinum is the smoothest bike I ever have ridden. I'm not a bitter Trek owner just being honest. And I have a Cdale 29er coming in and I can't wait to ride that puppy
Old 07-21-08, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happens if we own Trek's and Cannondales and love each equally? All I know is I hate non-hydro discs. Seems like Magura would have something for drop bars by now, remembering the old HS-33 for drops...