Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpado or Italvega

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Torpado or Italvega

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torpado or Italvega

Hi,

I bought a vintage bike, sold to me as a GIOS. Doing some research I found out that it may be either a TORPADO or a ITALVEGA. I`m not worried about that it si NOT a GIOS but for a proper restoration I need more information about built and year. It has some characteristcs of the "superlight" and some of the "super record". It is equipped with a Shimano Crane rear derailleur, Dura Ace 1st gen. front derailleur, crank set, headset and brakes/brake levers a 3ttt stem the 3ttt supperleggero handlebar, There are no Braze-on cableguides and the rear wheel space is 120mm.
I was happy if anybody could help.

Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seat_lug.jpg (74.4 KB, 69 views)
seatlug_and_stay.jpg (79.6 KB, 71 views)
between_the_chainstays.jpg (98.3 KB, 72 views)
BB_wo_SN.jpg (93.7 KB, 75 views)
fork_top.jpg (97.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-10-08, 05:37 AM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no clue what it is, but it is clearly a sweet frame. Good score!
-- Leon Briggs
Old 07-10-08, 07:23 AM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
The Italvega frames were produced by Torpado. I would guess the group on it is not original to the bike if your conclusion about the frame is correct. Looking at the catalog on Mark Bulgier's site, I think the Super Record is eliminated as the seat caps are clearly different from what you have. Of course this catalog is 1976 and it may be different in other years. The Super Speciale is also a possibility.

Either way, nice frame. Restoring it as a Superlight would be interesting and probably a bit difficult unless you are handy with a drill.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-10-08, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I think it's a Torpado. It is similar to a Italvega Superlight, but I do not think they were still branding them as Italvega's by the time the cable routing went under the BB. At least I've never seen a IV SL built like that. Post to the CR list as Mark Agree can probably tell you exactly what it is, and may have images of an original build.
Old 07-10-08, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
I think it's a Torpado. It is similar to a Italvega Superlight, but I do not think they were still branding them as Italvega's by the time the cable routing went under the BB. At least I've never seen a IV SL built like that. Post to the CR list as Mark Agree can probably tell you exactly what it is, and may have images of an original build.
Thank you for your hint. I' m afraid I need some help to post to the CR List. Where can I find it? How can I post something there?

Sorry but you see: "Newbie"
Old 07-10-08, 12:35 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
you need to join the CR list (go to the main website and click through to the Join the Email list link)
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/
be sure you follow the strict sign-off rules, or you'll be drop-kicked.
I strongly suggest using the "journal" option (whatever they call it) unless you love getting *boatloads* of email.
Once you get somebody's email address you can correspond off-list, which spares everybody's email boxes and saves bandwidth. Some of those expert personages are extremely giving of their time, some are very prickly and have no sympathy or patience for newbies (cause they were born experts, right?).
Since Chuck Schmidt isn't acting as policeman anymore, let me be the first to offer you this time-worn greeting:
"Check the archives!!!"
Old 07-10-08, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you

unworthy1, now I'm IN and expecting the things to come.
Old 07-10-08, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Looks like a repainted Ital Vega by Torpado...not a Superlight I think. the seat stay end treatment is different... As Torpado made for others, perhaps another private brand manufactured by Torpado.
Old 07-10-08, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
There is a point I skipped, as Ital-Vega was an American brand created by the importer, how / when did this bike get to Germany?
Old 07-11-08, 01:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know

Originally Posted by repechage
There is a point I skipped, as Ital-Vega was an American brand created by the importer, how / when did this bike get to Germany?
I bought the bike from a friend who had it from his brother. His brother got didn't ride it 15- 20 years and got it from his uncle before. Unfortunately the uncle is dead since a few years so that there is no way to find out when and how it came to germany.
Old 07-11-08, 03:43 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i just saw an italvega superlight 1976 on evil_bay that looks to be almost identical to your photos (same lugs, seat stay, fork crown etc - but gold color). have a look: https://cgi.ebay.com/ITALVEGA-SUPERLI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-11-08, 05:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
evil bay

Thanx brooklyn_bike,

via CR i had contact with the vendor of the eeeeh-bay item. The difference is the cable guide above the BB but it's really very close to mine.
My bicycle most likely was originally bought in Germany, which it makes very unlikely that it is an ITALVEGA.
From Mark Agree/CR-List i learned that there may be a third built, which was Torpado built but - for the swedish market - "Champion" branded. So I have to find out more about that.
I'm looking for Colour charts or Catalogues to learn about the originally used equipment and the range of colours used.
Old 07-11-08, 01:13 PM
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Most Torpado's I have seen will have the name inscribed in the upper portion of the seat stay and have a chrome drive-side chainstay.