Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What hubs would you use?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

What hubs would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 05:10 PM
I am an incurable.

Bikes: IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What hubs would you use?

So I am planning on building myself a set of alternate/ wet weather xc race wheels to compliment my AC wheels. I have a spare set of DT rims that I am planning on using. Part of me wants to go cheap and use XT hubs. However, I had a set of wheels with those and hated them. Another part of me wants to build them with something fancy like Hope hubs that will preform and be better sealed, but seem kind of excessive for an alternate wheelset. What would you do? Any other suggestions?
Old 07-10-08, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I'd go with XT hubs; they are cheap and durable. If I wanted something flashy I'd probably get some Paul's or Chris King hubs.
Old 07-10-08, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 251
Personally, I'd go with XT hubs
Originally Posted by delay
So I am planning on building myself a set of alternate/ wet weather xc race wheels

So in wet weather...you'd be servicing the XT's all the time. Hope Pro II's are sealed and absolutely ROCK!

I love mine. Cheaper than King, Paul, DT, Hadley...and I'd say nearly comparable quality.
Old 07-10-08, 09:50 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
So in wet weather...you'd be servicing the XT's all the time. Hope Pro II's are sealed and absolutely ROCK!

I love mine. Cheaper than King, Paul, DT, Hadley...and I'd say nearly comparable quality.
True dat. I have them on my commuter and my mountain bike. Rockin'...
Old 07-11-08, 05:41 AM
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
The DT "240s" is a sweet hub. I haven't had any trouble with it in any of the conditions I've ridden. My first set of built wheels so I don't really have much experience choosing hubs but these have been AWESOME.
Old 07-11-08, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$385 for DT's
$320 for the Hope's

That's a tough call b/c in the grand scheme of things...$65 isn't much. I do prefer the Hope front over the DT though b/c it's convertible JIK you wanna do a QR15 or 20mm TA later on. The QR15 may not complete replace QR skewers, but it seems better on paper.
Old 07-11-08, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy christ just pick a hub...is XT low-end now or something?
Old 07-11-08, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awc380
is XT low-end now or something?
Has been for quite some time.
Old 07-11-08, 10:19 AM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$385 for DT's
$320 for the Hope's
I just bought a set of Hope Pro 2s from Jenson last week. They are only $250 for the set.
Old 07-11-08, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in wet weather...you'd be servicing the XT's all the time.
I don't see any problem using XT hubs in this application, unless by "wet weather" you mean riding in 3' of water.
Old 07-11-08, 06:46 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another personal opinion here ...

I would (actually I do) use the same hubs on a spare wheel set as I have on my primary wheel set.
Reason, a different manufacturer or a lesser quality hub may have different tolerances then the primary hubs. If you run disc brakes you could end up having to realign the caliper every time you swap wheels, depending on your brakes and how often you need to change out the wheels, that can be a real pain in the arse.

Also, depending on how aware you are of your bikes ride, different hubs with different bearing will feel a lot ... well ... different. and that can be annoying to some riders.

DBD
Old 07-12-08, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year XTR hubs. I scored a pair from Nashbar for $145 shipped. Screamin' deal. Only >450 grams for the hubset, come with Ti freehub too!

Downside? centerlock. Not a downside if you also score XTR hydro brakes for $140 for the set. Check Jenson.
Old 07-12-08, 05:04 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mic2377
Last year XTR hubs. I scored a pair from Nashbar for $145 shipped. Screamin' deal. Only >450 grams for the hubset, come with Ti freehub too!

Downside? centerlock. Not a downside if you also score XTR hydro brakes for $140 for the set. Check Jenson.
You don't necessarily need Shimano hydros with centerlock hubs. I have some XTR centerlock hubs with adaptors.

You can use Problem Solvers, basic solution for $18 each: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+To+Is.aspx

Or you can use DT Swiss adapters, the more elegant solution for $36 each: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...To+6-Bolt.aspx
Old 07-12-08, 05:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mic2377
Uh, no. The calipers are $77. The levers and rotors are MUCH more expensive.
Old 07-12-08, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Orange 5, DMR Switchback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With every Shimano rear hub I've had, the freehub boby has packed up in 6 months or less. Hope ones seem to go on forever. I've got Pro IIs and a really old Hope XC rear on my hardtail. But the next lot of wheels I build will be with hubs from these guys:
https://www.superstarcomponents.com
They are 120 point pickup so should be instant power like Chris King, but they charge a reasonable price. Don't know how much shipping to the US is, but can't be too bad. Check out their headsets as well. Seems the only downside for some people is not such a cool brand name...
Old 07-12-08, 06:26 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 0range5
How much business have you done with them? After looking at their site, I'm intrigued.
Old 07-13-08, 01:21 PM
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to sound like a pissed off bee going thru the woods get the Hopes, I love mine. they also come with a 5 year warranty.
Old 07-13-08, 02:38 PM
I am an incurable.

Bikes: IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am honestly leaning towards the hopes. These are going to be my wet weather/ bombproof wheels. My current wheels are a set of American Classics, which feel amazing but I have heard have some durability issues.

As for 3" of water... Do you know how much rain we have gotten in the midwest this year?
Old 07-14-08, 02:12 AM

Bikes: Orange 5, DMR Switchback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BenLi
How much business have you done with them? After looking at their site, I'm intrigued.
Hi. I've had a Hollowtech II BB from them - it's same quality as Shimano but for 1/2 the price (at least it's 1/2 the price in the UK). The rear hub looks interesting - a Chris King is 70 points of engagement & this one's 120, so should be good to ride. If I get one (may not be soon tho) I'll post a review.