Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mu P24 vs. Speed Pro TT

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I've been researching lately and think I've narrowed it to these two folding bicycle models. I hear the Mu P24 is a newer type frame that is perhaps 'stiffer' I like the Speed Pro TT shifter/handlebar.

Are there any major differences I'm missing in the frame types between the Speed and Mu? Maybe they will make a 'Mu Pro TT' I am looking for a 'road' type bicycle which is why I am considering the Speed Pro TT, but the Mu seems to have the better frame technology.

If there is something else between the Mu & Speed frames I'm missing please let me know.

Thanks!
Ed

btw: Why is the Mu XL Sport priced higher than the Mu P24? $200 more for fenders & less gearing?
Old 07-12-08, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mu frame is aluminium, Speed frame is steel. As to which is better, I'd have to say try before you buy. There's nothing wrong with the Speed's frame, from what I've heard. The TT's more of a folding road bike than a commuter, the Mu is more commute/touring oriented.
Old 07-12-08, 08:11 AM
Supreme Commander of CATO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed Pro TT is lighter 23lbs v. 26lbs (although weight is listed without pedals). It uses higher end components. It is geared higher than the MU P24.

MU P24 does not come with fenders in the US. In the US the MSRP for the Speed Pro TT is $1300. The MU P24 is only $770. Quite a bit of difference.

That said, I have the MU P24 on order. It will be my all in one bicycle. I plan to commute with it and I typically ride about 15 miles on weekdays, 30+ miles a day on weekends.
Old 07-13-08, 12:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StuAff
The TT's more of a folding road bike than a commuter, the Mu is more commute/touring oriented.
I'm curious also about this question...can you elaborate a bit more your comment?

I assume the Mu is more upright then? more comfortable for leisurely? what other major difference between road vs commute/touring?
thanks.
Old 07-13-08, 01:41 AM

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gearing of the Speed Pro TT is meant for speed, so the gear ratios are different from the MU P24's which are better suited for hilly terrain and riding with loads. The Speed Pro TT's gear ratios are closer together.

The handlebars of the TT also put you in a more aerodynamic position (lower), whilst the MU P24's is a more upright position.
Old 07-13-08, 04:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr Brown's summed it up perfectly.
Old 07-13-08, 04:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
u might want to look at this.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dahon-Speed-Pr...3286.m14.l1318

not sure if their pro tt's but they are speed pro's

also:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAHON-FOLDING-...3286.m63.l1177

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BICYCLE-FOLDIN...3286.m63.l1177
Old 07-13-08, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed Pro= flat bar Speed Pro TT= drops
Old 07-13-08, 05:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh k so some of them are tt's
Old 07-31-08, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up my Speed Pro yesterday evening and can tell you that it is great so far (I've only ridden it 10 miles or so, but I love it). It is fairly light, such that I (a petite woman) can carry it fairly easily. It doesn't fold down as compactly as I expected, but from what I have seen it still folds more compact than most other folding bikes of its kind. I am going to be using it primarily for a commuting bike, but also to do longer road rides when I travel. I am curious to see how it holds up as a commuting bike. I take very good care of my bikes, but when riding can be a little rough (I live in DC so the streets are not the best). The components are definitely nice; I am still trying to learn how to properly work the hub gear. The small tires for me were a necessity because of the commuting I will be doing on the train, but they definitely make the ride feel a little squirrely at first (although I quickly got used to them and found them to be a little more responsive in city traffic).
Old 07-31-08, 09:09 AM
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the folks in our Dahon club have switched to Schwalbe Kojak tires as the Stelvios can be a tad too fragile for commuting. Easy to get cut and nicked. Also, it wont be too happy dealing with road debri. That said, its a really fast tire.

I have switched to Marathon Racers on my Pro after a spill due largely to my carelessness, and also to the Stelvios inability to handle small obstacles on the road.

https://lovethefold.blogspot.com/2008...i-crashed.html

Just sharing my opinion, and you don't have to agree with me.