Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

deraillers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-04, 12:50 AM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deraillers

the rear derailer on my bike just bit the dust yesterday and as the shifters and front derailer are junk I figured I might as well just replace everything.

Since the rear derailler is broken I need that is top priority then the shifters and then the front derailler. I have a maximum of $200 to spend.

found a combo deal on pricepoint.com. their SRAM 9.0 half-pipe shifters and an X.9 rear derailler.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...r%20Derraileur

-thanks for the help-
Old 01-18-04, 01:10 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Go for the x.9's.
Old 01-18-04, 01:20 AM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, im going to go for that deal since its the best i have found.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...ailleur%20M952
I am thinking about getting this derailleur but im not sure if it will work on a bike with 24 gears/speeds? well it has 8 gears in the back and 3 gears on the front.
Old 01-18-04, 02:42 AM
The XC Hucker

Bikes: My primary bike is a Schwinn Homegrown HT with a 2002 Manitou Six Deluxe (Not of the POS variety) and XT comps, my roadie is an 80s vintage Trek 1000 with 105 comps, and I'm working on building a hucking machine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'll work, you just can't shift into an invisible 9th gear that is really your right seat stay. I'd just go with the XT 9 speed upgrade kit Pricepoint has for 185. While the SRAM is better quality, you're probably gonna want those 9 speeds with a 9 spd shifter/rear der.
Old 01-18-04, 02:44 AM
The XC Hucker

Bikes: My primary bike is a Schwinn Homegrown HT with a 2002 Manitou Six Deluxe (Not of the POS variety) and XT comps, my roadie is an 80s vintage Trek 1000 with 105 comps, and I'm working on building a hucking machine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and the front derailleur shouldn't have trouble with an 8 spd setup, except it might make a little bit of noise from the fatter 8 spd chain in a front derailleur cage built for a skinny 9 spd. It happened to me before I got the upgrade kit...
Old 01-18-04, 09:42 AM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have that same setup on one of my bikes and it works well.
Old 01-18-04, 11:04 AM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you ever have any problems with the half-pipe shifters? I was thinking that because their so long if you hit a large rocky section or something and your hands slip you would accidently shift your gears.
Old 01-18-04, 11:12 AM
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will occasionally mis-shift with any grip shifters. I have the shorty's on one bike and the half pipes on another, and I have not noticed the longer ones being any worse about it. For the price you can't beat it. Mis-shifts are not that big of a probelem and as you get used to them you will do it less and less. Remember though that the half pipe's will not work with shimano ders, you will have to use them with the X9's (or any SRAM's with the 1:1).

On my race xc bike I have rapid fire levers, and I actually prefer the grip shifters.
Old 01-18-04, 11:17 AM
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just realized something, you said you had an 8 speed rear cassette? The nine speed shifter will not work properly with an 8 speed cassette. The spacing is different i.e. they put 9 gears in the same width as 8 gears. You should spring for a new 9 speed cassette along with the shifters. You're probably due anyway, plus everything will work well when you're finished. The 9 speed fits the same rear hub as the 8 speed.

Edit - dang nothing can be simple can it? You will need a new 9 speed chain too. Get a SRAM pc59 they are about $15...
Old 01-18-04, 11:38 AM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I might as well turn this into a full overhaul on my bike now

so I need:

the shifter/rear derailleur combo I posted above
9 speed cassette
new chain

the new cassette and chain is going to replace the new front derailleur I was going to get. The one on my bike is a Shimano STX RC, that should work with everything else im buying right?
Old 01-18-04, 12:01 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...234&Store=Bike

I found another combo deal, only thing is im not sure how good the cassette is. Should i go with a Shimano or SRAM cassette over that one?
Old 01-18-04, 12:06 PM
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by forum*rider
well I might as well turn this into a full overhaul on my bike now

so I need:

the shifter/rear derailleur combo I posted above
9 speed cassette
new chain

the new cassette and chain is going to replace the new front derailleur I was going to get. The one on my bike is a Shimano STX RC, that should work with everything else im buying right?
You can get a good '03 XT front der for cheap, the new '04's are coming out and lots of places are clearing out the '03's. Go to the link in my sig and scroll down to the online sources, check every place for what you need and you'll save some bucks. Especially check out wheelworld.com

If you're going to so much trouble you might want to change your cables too, buy the sheath by the foot (around $1/ft) and buy the cables seperately for $1.50. Also, if you don't have one, you will need a chain whip tools and a spline socket to remove and replace your cassette. Get the long one (I think 21 tooth) and it will work for bottom brackets too (you'll eventually need one). I'm out the door now for a ride but maybe someone else will have some better advice, but you should be able to do everything mentioned for under $200.
Old 01-18-04, 12:12 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the help Mike, ill keep an eye out for any sales on '03 front derailleurs.

Cables, I just asked my uncle and he has some spare cables that I can have. My dad has the tools I will need.

Does anyone have any suggestions for that cassette I posted above?
Old 01-18-04, 01:28 PM
The XC Hucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM has better quality cassettes, although I run a 9 speed 2003 XT cassette and it's been fine so far. I still recommend the XT 9 Speed Upgrade Kit pricepoint has for 185, it has everything you need except a front derailleur.

Link for the upgrade kit:
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...%20Kit%20M-750

Dude at my local bike shop said that price is below wholesale, its a killer deal.

Gripshifters are notorious for maintenance headaches, they tend to get lots of dirt and such inside of them. When I had them I was pulling them apart every three months to clean them out. I'd recommend getting triggers from sram or shimano if you aren't partial to gripshifters.
Old 01-18-04, 01:30 PM
The XC Hucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It also has all the cables