Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

De-noising your fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

De-noising your fenders

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 01:06 PM
kila kila kila

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
De-noising your fenders

Anyone have any success in getting rid of the ratting and squeaking from their fenders? I would love to hear what you have to say.

So far, I've used home-made rubber washers from old tubes to go between the strut and the eyelet on the frame and in the brake-bolt mountain hardware. I eventually got some of the leather washers that Velo Orange sells. Other than that I've wrapped some cloth tape (gaffer's tape) around the fender at the point where the rear brake-mount bracket attaches (sks fenders).

Still no dice. On smooth roads they're quite, but smooth roads here are a freakish anomaly. The noise is driving me insane.

For what it's worth, this is a KHS 100 track frame, so clearance is minimal. I can't run fenders with anything larger than a 23mm tire. It's possible that the fenders are rubbing at some other point, maybe against the brake calipers. Who knows. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-16-08, 01:11 PM
likes bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm gonna attach an extra stay on the front end of my velo-orange front fender. it currently rattles quite a bit on the front end with only one stay on the bottom end. i have the leather washers installed too.
Old 07-16-08, 01:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of SKS fenders that are completely noiseless but they are plastic.

I'm about to install some Honjo fenders so I'll be looking to avoid noise and watching this thread...
Old 07-16-08, 01:26 PM
Señor Miembro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only times my Freddy Fenders make any noise is when I hit a small bump while riding with no hands. And even then it's only a slight rattling sound. The moment I put any pressure on the bars they become silent.
Old 07-16-08, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Honjos aluminum fenders. They're almost as lightweight as the plastic fenders I had beforehand, but the mounting system is more solid and they don't rattle or make any noise at all.
Old 07-16-08, 01:29 PM
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kila kila kila
Anyone have any success in getting rid of the ratting and squeaking from their fenders? I would love to hear what you have to say.

So far, I've used home-made rubber washers from old tubes to go between the strut and the eyelet on the frame and in the brake-bolt mountain hardware. I eventually got some of the leather washers that Velo Orange sells. Other than that I've wrapped some cloth tape (gaffer's tape) around the fender at the point where the rear brake-mount bracket attaches (sks fenders).

Still no dice. On smooth roads they're quite, but smooth roads here are a freakish anomaly. The noise is driving me insane.

For what it's worth, this is a KHS 100 track frame,
so clearance is minimal. I can't run fenders with anything larger than a 23mm tire. It's possible that the fenders are rubbing at some other point, maybe against the brake calipers. Who knows. Any help is appreciated.
My guess is that's your problem. I run SKS fenders on 38mm tires and the only rattling I get is the occasional rock/pebble kicking up under the fender. If everything is tight, the fenders should be pretty quiet, given they have proper clearance.
Old 07-16-08, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some rattling since my frame didn't allow for me to attach the auxiliary mount, so I had to jimmy rig it to increase its stability.
Old 07-16-08, 02:19 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
loctite the bolts.
Old 07-16-08, 02:53 PM
kila kila kila

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ragboy
My guess is that's your problem.
I was afraid of that. Of course, this means I should get a new bike.

Old 07-16-08, 03:30 PM
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you know that putty that you can use to hang up posters? you can buy those in packs (sticks) and ball them up to form in the area between your fender and frame/fork. they semi adhere but they are really easy to remove. it will absolutely quiet your fenders.
Old 07-17-08, 06:36 PM
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Yes to above , look for contact points. noises are some time hard to track down. While riding if I here a reoccuring noise I will stop and tap around to try and recreate and localize. My fender contact rattlle point is between rear fender stays and rack struts. Choose your cure. Cork, leather or rubber are all nice.

I spent way to much time trying to find an unusual noise from disposable water bottles. The other day I had a new noise and pulled over into a parking garage only to realize it was a carabiner on my belt loop with a house key.