Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Alternative bike seats?

Old 07-16-08, 02:07 PM

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative bike seats?

A friend (no, really) is having a lot of trouble adapting to his traditional bike seat. Without going into excessive detail, he's complaining that the nose of the saddle "rocks" his world too much.

He's tried padded shorts and a gel saddle cover, but things are still unhappy.

Does anybody have any experience with alternative bike seats like the Derri-Air, Spiderflex, "The SEAT", et al.?
Old 07-16-08, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I had a friend who was wondering this very thing. If this friends sits way forward then it seems better, but sitting normal starts crushing things as he pedals.
Old 07-16-08, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He might need to adjust the nose of the saddle down slightly. Too much and it puts a lot of weight on your hands. This is hard to do with a single bolt seatpost as the serations make it hard to get right so I always switch to a two bolt post to be able to make very minor adjustments.
Old 07-16-08, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gel padding will just increase the bulk in that area and exacerbate the problem. Get rid of all the gel stuff and play with the seat positioning. If you are talking about butt pain (and not crushed items) then look into a new saddle.
Old 07-16-08, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Wildewood Deluxe, Giant TCX 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same trouble until I started reading about bike fitting. Check the seat height. Make sure the seat is level. Check the reach. If you have to reach too far forward to grab the bars you will tend to migrate forward on the seat. Make sure your friend feels his sit bones on the seat. If they tend to slide off, he's in the wrong place on the bike. Also check to see if the bars are high enough. If you are leaning too far down you can crush things.

If those things don't help then there are split seats that take the pressure off. I had the typical numbness problem and it only took about 20 minutes on the bike to do it...before I adjusted the seat. The stock seat on my bike was a gel seat. I tried several others including a rounded over rock that "they" seem to recommend. I still can't ride more than a few miles on it. The gel worked better. My new bike has a split seat and no problem.

John
Old 07-16-08, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the center of the seat should be about level with the road, or slightly tilted forward ... i keep mine, where the nose area is down, the middle is flat .. and the back is raised up ...

i also installed a seatpost with more offset to get the fit better ...

sounds like his seat is just tilted to far to the back ...
Old 07-17-08, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is your friend tall? I'm tall--6'4"--and I've found that to get the sitting part of the seat comfortable I have to tilt the seat up, but then the front bit is a bit too friendly with my neitherbits. I'm picking up a layback seat post from my lbs today so that I can move the seat farther back which is what I suspect to be the real problem for me.
Old 07-17-08, 06:38 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by LittleChainring
A friend (no, really) is having a lot of trouble adapting to his traditional bike seat. Without going into excessive detail, he's complaining that the nose of the saddle "rocks" his world too much.

He's tried padded shorts and a gel saddle cover, but things are still unhappy.

Does anybody have any experience with alternative bike seats like the Derri-Air, Spiderflex, "The SEAT", et al.?
I don't have experience, but from what I've read, the nose of the saddle adds to the stability of the rider on the bike. So noseless saddles seem to be already at a disadvantage.

Old 07-17-08, 08:24 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What's a traditional bike seat? I have a straight flat seat on my roadie (Terry Fly with cutout). Very comfy IMO.

Then I have a moutain bike saddle on my other roadie. A WTB saddle which has a curved/swoosh type surface like most mtb saddles. I like the bend as it acts sort of like and ergo bend which feels molded to my tush.

Has he tried different style or the the stock saddle only? It takes trying more than just one style and /or brand. Several saddles look the same but don't feel the same. One area most new riders are not willing to deal or know how to deal with. Because one saddle doesn't work, they stereotype them all together.

Actually a pain in the butt as far as effort and time but well worth it when you find the right one.

Plus like the other posters mentioned, the nose is very helpful with stability AND balance! Heck, I can ride for miles with no hands. Big plus when it comes to on the bike stretching, relaxing or the need to shake a bee out of the helmet...or take pictures!
Old 07-17-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000, Trek 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to recommend the BG Comfort Plus Saddle by specialized. I had a saddle that made me really sore. Since I have used this saddle, no problems. If this seat doesn't work for him, try making a deal with the local John Deer salesman for a tractor seat.
Old 07-17-08, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps I was too subtle in my description of the problem.

His complaint is that his penis and testicles move when he rides, shifting from one side to the other as he pedals.
Old 07-17-08, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in that case, he needs to learn how to tuck everything in a better place and some tighter shorts to hold the boys in place makes a difference as well.
Old 07-17-08, 12:59 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

His complaint is that his penis and testicles move when he rides, shifting from one side to the other as he pedals.

Hehehe, I think that happens to most riders. Wear tight shorts (reason for spandex). After you sit, I manually adjust myself. I have to pull the goods up to the top so that they sit up for a good view of the ride while avoiding getting crushed like a grape at a winery.... The tight fitting spandex hold them in place. If you wear oversized or baggy shorts, you're in for shifting problems, and not the derailleur kind! Though it can be a bit tough when I look down for the waterbottle only to get poked in the eye. OK, not really.

Some riders turn the nose of the seat a little to the right or the left allowing the junk to fall to one side. I did it before, seems to work well. Not sure why but lately I've seemed to have repositioned it straight ahead again.
Old 07-17-08, 01:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His seat is too high or his boys are hanging a little to loosely.
Old 07-17-08, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Trek VRX 200 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It must be the seat he has. I ride a mountain bike and I most wear mesh shorts and boxers when I ride. Just have to adjust the "junk" when you start riding to get it in the right spot.
Old 07-17-08, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode on a derri-air once and it was kinda nice, it was because i was borrowing a bike and could not change it thought. 75 miles made the bottom sore, but less than 20 was ok.
Old 07-17-08, 10:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the one problem I have isn't the boys being in the wrong place, but the space between the butt and nut, getting a little too sore (go ahead, chuckle away). Anything I should look for? Maybe a hornless or a bench style seat like you guys were talking about?

Last edited by milehile; 07-17-08 at 10:43 PM. Reason: additions
Old 07-17-08, 10:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that the seat is too high and his hips must be rocking back and forth causing more friction for the boys. If the hips are stable the netherregions in between will not move back and forth.
Old 07-17-08, 10:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.derri-air.com/moon-seat.htm Designed to aide in the relief of the groin area. A little pricey, but if you want comfort, there ya go.
Old 07-17-08, 11:06 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by milehile
I think the one problem I have isn't the boys being in the wrong place, but the space between the butt and nut, getting a little too sore (go ahead, chuckle away). Anything I should look for? Maybe a hornless or a bench style seat like you guys were talking about?
If you're already wearing padded shorts I'd say give a specialized body geometry saddle a shot. When I went from climbing a lot to staying in the saddle on the flats I bought a Specialized Toupe and it solved the problem.
Old 07-17-08, 11:07 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Hehehe, I think that happens to most riders. Wear tight shorts (reason for spandex). After you sit, I manually adjust myself. I have to pull the goods up to the top so that they sit up for a good view of the ride while avoiding getting crushed like a grape at a winery.... The tight fitting spandex hold them in place.:
Old 07-18-08, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the look of the Specialized saddles, but I still don't think anything with a horn will help me in my needs. I still think that I should go with something that gives me support under the butt, and not in between. Something like the Derri-Air Moon Seat, or even the Easy Seat.

For the OP, I think the Derri-Air Horseshoe Seat would be best. https://www.derri-air.com/horseshoe-seat.htm
Old 07-19-08, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The friend in the OP ended up ordering a Spiderflex. https://www.spiderflex.com/

It'll be interesting to see how he likes it. I'll give a report after it comes in.
Old 07-19-08, 11:31 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts

Tape the boys up. Lower the seat.

Old 07-19-08, 08:26 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get some bike shorts. If things move too much, get a smaller size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.