Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Ban teams, Directors, and owners for repeated positives

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 09:40 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts

As the Ricco situation makes clear, the dopers will always be looking for the next new non detectible drug. And the nature of the game makes it likely that the dopers will always be a step ahead of the testers.

However its difficult to believe that there could be significant doping on a 3 week grand tour, without fellow riders, support staff, and directors knowing about it. You just can't travel,and live in that close of proximity for 3 weeks without people picking up on things IF THEY HAVE THE INCENTIVE TO BE LOOKING.

The Team Organizers, and fellow riders are the people in the position to stop this. The rules need to give them the incentive to do so.

Until and unless Team Management feels the pain this sh*t will continue.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-17-08, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bio passports are the answer.... Just wait
Old 07-17-08, 10:01 AM
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I agree. Any manager with a rider caught doping is immediately suspended. 2 different riders caught, full team suspension. Fellow riders then have an incentive to police as well as offences negatively impact them. I am not normally a fan of such rules, but if cycling wants to get serious, it does have to go after the enablers, not just the riders who are doping.

It needs to be a well-written code, however. Leaving it up to race organizers is a pretty crappy way to do it. Astana doesn't get invited to the Tour despite all new management while other teams with a history of doping offences do get the invite. I would actually be fine with the Astana exclusion if there were any consistency.
Old 07-17-08, 10:11 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've alway felt that what the sport needs is a complete mia culpa. The UCI should offer a one time amnesty to the riders....fess up...completely...name the suppliers...the doctors...the DS's. Do this and there will be no repercussions...no punitive measures. Next positive test and you are banned for life. The big issue is that these riders are not doping in a vacuum. They have help. Honestly I imagine this conversation after Lance beat Basso in the Tour:

Riis: Ivan, if you want to beat this man and win the Tour you need help....I can't just coach you to a Tour win...I know people who can get you what you need....I will support you in this...

Ivan: Yes I will take your help...

Seriously the thought that most of these DS's are not involved, either through direct pressure or through direct supply is ludicrous. These guys just didn't learn how to dope by using the Google.
Old 07-17-08, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Trek / CCM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And to add...

With regards to the event that the team is currently racing in, if one man gets caught the entire team should be disqualified. That in itself would help.

In the Saunier Duval case, I believe the entire team volunteered their own departure. It should have been mandatory. Seems like one of the other positives was from Barlo and they are still there.
Old 07-17-08, 10:17 AM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 07-17-08, 10:24 AM

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wfrogge
Bio passports are the answer.... Just wait
yep.
Old 07-17-08, 10:45 AM
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSUTexan93
And to add...

With regards to the event that the team is currently racing in, if one man gets caught the entire team should be disqualified. That in itself would help.
I agree. even if the entire team isn't helping and its just one rider going to a shady doctor somewhere, it will make him think twice about injecting knowing his actions could distroy their entire teams future.
Old 07-17-08, 10:56 AM
Ink-Stained Wretch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They shouldn't be mandated to leave, however they should all be tested for same substances.
Old 07-17-08, 10:58 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If any rider tests positive, the entire team is banned from all events for the remainder of the season.
You wanna get serious, get serious, otherwise it's just posturing.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-17-08, 11:05 AM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I think you should lose your job and go to jail if your kid gets caught shoplifting...
Old 07-17-08, 11:28 AM
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't even make them leave. Just make the offender wear a hot pink jersey with no sponsors that says "DOPER" and make them lead the parade, handing out pamphlets describing how the sport is trying to clean itself up.
Old 07-17-08, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucklehead
Don't even make them leave. Just make the offender wear a hot pink jersey with no sponsors that says "DOPER" and make them lead the parade, handing out pamphlets describing how the sport is trying to clean itself up.
Ahh, shaming! I like it.
Old 07-17-08, 11:45 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I think you should lose your job and go to jail if your kid gets caught shoplifting...
F that, you should be crucified, and the rest of your family burned, you bleeding-heart liberal wussy.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-17-08, 11:46 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can't we at least lop off a limb?

Whoa, I just had a brain storm...(now I've shot my wad for this century).
What if, besides the pink jersey, the rest of the team and the management has to wear yellow jerseys that say "I'M WITH DOPER" ?

I am a fracking evil genius...you had a good idea too, but it needed a lil chippie magic to round it out.
Old 07-17-08, 11:49 AM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why make 'em more comfortable on the saddle?

Originally Posted by chipcom
Old 07-17-08, 11:52 AM
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Maybe just the tip of the index or middle fingers on the right hand to make it a little harder to shift when they come back to racing. One missed shift at a crucial moment would serve as a reminder of what they'd done.
My original thought was a ceremonial execution preceding the begining of the next stage, but that seemed a little harsh.
Old 07-17-08, 11:54 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My original thought was a ceremonial execution preceding the begining of the next stage, but that seemed a little harsh.
But think of the TV ratings! BRILLIANT!
Old 07-17-08, 12:01 PM
Trying to keep up

Maybe just the tip of the index or middle fingers on the right hand to make it a little harder to shift when they come back to racing. One missed shift at a crucial moment would serve as a reminder of what they'd done.
My original thought was a ceremonial execution preceding the begining of the next stage, but that seemed a little harsh
Done with bladed spokes.
Old 07-17-08, 03:47 PM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually thought that the initial ideas in this thread were good - the other ideas, while funny - aren't really reality based. At least, not "their" reality.
Old 07-17-08, 04:18 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by asmallsol
I agree. even if the entire team isn't helping and its just one rider going to a shady doctor somewhere, it will make him think twice about injecting knowing his actions could distroy their entire teams future.
Negative. The consequences will continue to be irrelevant as long as they believe they won't be caught. Better testing is the only answer. The death penalty isn't stopping people from killing each other. If there is a 99% probability of being caught even a one year ban will suffice. If the probability is 10% you could threaten to hang their entire family and somebody would still risk it.
Old 07-17-08, 05:45 PM
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Negative. The consequences will continue to be irrelevant as long as they believe they won't be caught. Better testing is the only answer. The death penalty isn't stopping people from killing each other. If there is a 99% probability of being caught even a one year ban will suffice. If the probability is 10% you could threaten to hang their entire family and somebody would still risk it.
i concur. the only proven deterent to crime is the certainty of being caught.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
Old 07-17-08, 05:49 PM
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah. save all the offenders for the last stage. guillotine 'em after the sprint on the champs elysees. you can do it on the place de la concorde like in the old days. the more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
Old 07-17-08, 08:03 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Effectiveness of any deterrent depends on certainty,severity,and swiftness. The death penalty as currently administered lacks 2 of 3.

My proposal to punish all the enablers, relies on the time honored principle of giving conspirators a motive to roll. As long as the co conspirators, and the enabelers are placed at risk, they have a much greater motive to roll, and or self police, thus greatly increasing the likelyhood of punishing the transgressor.

The problem with testing is that the cheats will always be one step ahead. Hence you need to rely on non testing avenues of detection, i.e. witnessing riders injecting, seeing them possessing bags of blood, getting deliveries of drugs, etc.

If the team personell is given the proper incentive, they can easily detect such behavior. Problem is the current system incents them to turn a blind eye.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-17-08, 08:27 PM
Trying to keep up

^^What he said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.