Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Our Book is Done and We Are Back on the Road

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 10:48 AM
Still on the road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our second bicycle touring book is finally finished! I look back and can’t believe we did all the work to write, edit, and publish this book on the road as we traveled internationally, frequently while free camping on the side of the road in our tent on battery power.

The first draft was written in South America as the events unfolded. The second draft was worked on in Malaysia except a couple chapters that were reworked later in Tasmania, the Gold Coast, and as we rode across the lonely outback “top end” in Australia. The first edit of the entire book was done in New Plymouth, New Zealand. We hired a professional editor and worked with her as we rode through the South Island of New Zealand. In Valdez, Alaska, USA we hired the book cover artist, completed the layout, and wrapped everything up. We are writing you from the road in Destruction Bay, Yukon, Canada and heading towards Vancouver Island and the west coast of the USA.

We would like to thank the members of the Bike Forums who helped us by providing feedback on the packing list that appears at the end of the book. Thank you all very much for your assistance. You can read the first chapter and look at the photos from the book on our web site.

To update you on where we are now, we have left Valdez, Alaska, USA and have started riding again making our way south through Canada and down the west coast of the USA. I am now working on a new section of our web site for the current leg of our journey; stay tuned for our regular photos and daily journals. I hope that this does not include stories about a grizzly bear attack or moose chasing us across Canada.
-
-(Mod removed link to book)

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-18-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you get into northern California PM me. The wife and I could put you two up for a couple of days. We are in Wine Country, a days' ride north of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Old 07-17-08, 12:35 PM
Still on the road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we can taste the wine now!

thanks for the invite, we look forward to meeting you when we get there.
Old 07-17-08, 01:08 PM
Rocks

Bikes: all custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your web site gives me a headache, and I think your posts are an MLM snow job or some form of viral marketing.
Old 07-17-08, 01:25 PM
Still on the road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello RichardCranium:

We have read your negative comments about CrazyGuy and many others and will just have to consider the source. You have the freedom to look elsewhere. No "hatin" please.
Old 07-17-08, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I have the first book and want the 2nd. Will we get the same deal again?
Old 07-17-08, 06:41 PM
Still on the road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
second book details

All the details of our second book can be found on our most recent blog post found at the link below. If you have any questions feel free to email us.

-
-
Mod removed link

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-18-08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 11:12 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Down the Road In SA

I really enjoyed your first book - After reading your book I still want to go to Costa Rica. Went to Belize instead and rode a bit on "hotel bikes" Nixon era single speeds. A bike "mechanic" we met at one location was named Elvis. Good fortune on your ride south.
Old 07-18-08, 06:48 AM

Bikes: 06 specialized stumpjumper,90s hardrock e assist xtracycle, 90s rockhopper xtracycle, vintage windsor single speed. vintage raleigh competition single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just getting into touring and discovered your site recently, very inspiring. Looking forward to the updates.-Brian
Old 07-18-08, 11:35 AM

Location: Salt Lake City - Turn North at Moab, Go Back 50 Years
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This pair of freeloaders not only get to advertise their adventures ... they get to prohibit any criticism as well.

Their web site has the same problem as many other "Send me money so I can have adventures!" sites. In order for them to follow their dream, a whole bunch of other people have to NOT follow their dreams.

I find nothing inspiring about their narrative at all.
Old 07-18-08, 12:29 PM
Rocks

Bikes: all custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtheroad.org
Hello RichardCranium:

We have read your negative comments about CrazyGuy and many others and will just have to consider the source. You have the freedom to look elsewhere. No "hatin" please.

My negative comments towards many others? Please supply links? My comments about the crazy guy were absolutely accurate, and when that sites is back online I'll post a link so you can READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

Secondly, I get a little tired of seeing your "Form Letter" postings on every discussion board on the internet. They are all the same, word for word. All you're doing is begging for money from un-suspecting people and trying to drive hits to you pathetic web site... which by the way does give me headache, and that ain't no hatin', it's just the cold hard truth.

In keeping with the spirit of these forums, people post touring blogs FOR FREE! An by the way, I've read hundreds blogs/journals/etc that are far superior to yours.... all for FREE.

I'd suggest taking your "pull the wool over everyones eyes" advertising elsewhere. Maybe take your own advice and take yourselves ... DOWNTHEROAD
Old 07-18-08, 01:17 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I have no problem with these guys writing a book and posting about it on here. However, their website is the most advert and endorsement laden site I've ever seen and that turns me off. I also agree that there are far more interesting touring blogs, many on crazyguyonabike.
Old 07-18-08, 05:44 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Here's what I read on BF about its terms and conditions: "Refrain from using BikeForums to advertise your site, items for sale, commercial services or website. You may attach a short link to your site within your profile or signature."

Since the only real content from the original post on this thread is a notice that a (commercially published) book is available for sale, I'm not sure why this is an appropriate thread for BF.

Not hatin', just sayin'.
Old 07-18-08, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I removed all links to the book inside the threads. Please do not repost the links.

Old 07-19-08, 04:03 PM
Still on the road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding down the road

We are very sorry if we broke the rules of this forum. We saw this post announcing another new bike touring book a few months ago and thought that it was acceptable and we could do the same. We did not know we were held to a different standard.

As far as our site having advertising; yes it does. I did not know this is a crime. I would argue that this site, Bike Forums, has an equal number of ads and even multiple animated ads. Even National Geographic, NPR, Yahoo, MySpace, and web based mail has ads in it. We may be one of the first to make a meager living this way while on tour but we certainly will not be the last.

We are sorry to announce that we are saying goodbye to the bike forums for now and possibly longer. We feel like our 6 years on the road would give us the experience to add to the community, and we have tried when we have internet connections, but it is increasingly difficult not to be seen as having an anterior motive. If any of you have questions about long term bike touring please email them directly to us and we would be happy to answer.
Old 07-19-08, 06:35 PM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I've always found Tim and Cindie's input here quite helpful.
Old 07-19-08, 07:12 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Why the anger? Tim and Cindie have a point....actually a few. Would rather see them here than venom...take a breath.
I notice that the link to the other book for sale is still there and has been since the post a year ago.
Old 07-20-08, 01:04 AM

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtheroad.org
We are very sorry if we broke the rules of this forum. We saw this post announcing another new bike touring book a few months ago and thought that it was acceptable and we could do the same. We did not know we were held to a different standard.

As far as our site having advertising; yes it does. I did not know this is a crime. I would argue that this site, Bike Forums, has an equal number of ads and even multiple animated ads. Even National Geographic, NPR, Yahoo, MySpace, and web based mail has ads in it. We may be one of the first to make a meager living this way while on tour but we certainly will not be the last.

We are sorry to announce that we are saying goodbye to the bike forums for now and possibly longer. We feel like our 6 years on the road would give us the experience to add to the community, and we have tried when we have internet connections, but it is increasingly difficult not to be seen as having an anterior motive. If any of you have questions about long term bike touring please email them directly to us and we would be happy to answer.
But that other book was actually good. Besides, you give no recommendations for the best types of firearms to carry while touring third world countries.
Old 07-20-08, 05:51 AM

Bikes: RANS Stratus XP (2008)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 'Would rather see them here than venom'.

These are two people out there doing some pretty interesting touring and sharing their experience on BF. If they have a new book I don't mind hearing about it. And so what if they have some ads on their site???

As for the comment that "In order for them to follow their dream, a whole bunch of other people have to NOT follow their dreams", I'm sorry Nate1952, I'm sure you have lots of thoughts that make sense, that just wasn't one of them.
Old 07-20-08, 10:02 AM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLW2
I notice that the link to the other book for sale is still there and has been since the post a year ago.
I'm assuming someone reported their post to the mods out of spite. Way to go.
Old 07-20-08, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaypee
I'm assuming someone reported their post to the mods out of spite. Way to go.
jaypee,
Since you quote me, I assume you meant me and if so, you are wrong. I just pointed it out here in my post. Didn't advocate removing it or report it to mods, just pointed it out in a statement. One was removed and one wasn't.

In general, not pointed at jaypee..
I really don't care if either Tim & Cindie or eleanor tell us they have published a book about their tours in the forum. We all have the choice to read the posts or not.
I don't think we need to flame each other as some do, but then that is just my opinion.
Keith
Old 07-20-08, 12:40 PM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh! Goodness, no, I wasn't implying you at all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

And you're right on the flaming, I try not to get involved but I'm a little irritated that due to someone's actions, we've lost a couple of valuable voices.
Old 07-20-08, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh! Goodness, no, I wasn't implying you at all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

And you're right on the flaming, I try not to get involved but I'm a little irritated that due to someone's actions, we've lost a couple of valuable voices.
I agree with you 100%.
Old 07-20-08, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

It is the Internet for crying out loud!

If this causes them to not contribute then maybe that is a good thing. I would have thought after traversing the world they would be a able to take a little Internet criticism.
Old 07-20-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vettefrc2000
It is the Internet for crying out loud!

If this causes them to not contribute then maybe that is a good thing. I would have thought after traversing the world they would be a able to take a little Internet criticism.

Not sure I get your drift..because it's the internet, communication carries less importance, relevance, level of respect or what? Just curious....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.