Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Back in the game...Manhattan

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to be into biking when I was a kid but that was BMX. Now seeing as i'm 27 and living in Manhattan I figured I should take up something a little more mature. Now seeing as i'm just starting out I decided to take the budget route when buying my bike and gear. I bought the Windsor Wellington 3.0. Got the Ascent Delta V computer and the Top Peak Micro Rocket ALT pump.

For the most part, I had no problems putting the bike together. Probably took me a little longer than the LBS but I don't have $50 to throw at a tune up.Looking online it doesn't look to difficult. The only problem I had was that I tore the seal around the stem of the tube when pumping it up. The little pump I bought is great for riding, its compact, its light but you'll be pumping all day if you try to pump the tires up to 120psi...

Oh yeah, the computer I bought liked to go a little crazy (Speed w/o even being set up 80mph) so I put a little aluminum foil between it and the clasp and it seemed to solve everything. Never went crazy again...

I'm hopefully going to join some riding groups around the area but I think I need to build some stamina first. I didn't pass to many people on my ride...they passed me.

My first ride (Central Park Loop):

Minutes: 41:53
Miles: 8.968
Max Speed: 27.1
Average Speed: 12.9

My Bike:

Old 07-17-08, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you are holding the pump with one hand over the valve. I broke a couple of valve before I figured this out. Personally, I hate these pumps. Pay more and get one with a hose. Maybe a second larger one for home. Pump the tire up to the recommended pressure.
Old 07-17-08, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I might just buy a larger floor pump for home. I quit pumping at 80 psi because I was tired and affraid of popping another tube.
Old 07-18-08, 09:03 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello jgreen25, you are off to a good start (well, except for the pump). There are plenty of riders in your area--check out the regional forums.

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator