Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reality check request

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reality check request

I'm about to sign up for a charity ride in mid-September.

It's a 2 day ride, 100 or 75 miles the first day, 75 miles the second day.

I've never ridden that far. I rode 35 miles today and yesterday, and have no soreness or tiredness at all, however I've not gone further than 50 miles in a day.

I'm training pretty regularly (5 mile run with sprints on mondays, hill sprints with some chest and tri work on tuesdays, leg strength work on thursday, back work on fridays, rides sat and sunday), so I'll likely improve. Can I reasonably sign up if after 2 35 mile days I can do 50 miles tomorrow without trouble, or should I be thinking harder about this?

It's a fully supported ride, so I can hop in a van at any 12 mile interval if I feel like it, but I want to know if I'm crazy to try this. Also, I guess I should buy some bike clothes.
Old 07-19-08, 07:44 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should be just fine. I would suggest, however, building up a good mileage "base" between now and then, 100-150 miles/week should work great for you. Remember, build consistency on days (like 20 miles/day) versus just killing yourself two days on the weekend. I did the whole little miles during the week/weekend kill last year and progressed, but this year I've been doing consistent miles and progress like whoa.

Also, I'd recommend a "dry run" (if you can) two weeks before the event. That will give you a good idea if you can handle the mileage for sure, but I'd imagine you'll have no problem.
Old 07-19-08, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if I'm running/training otherwise in the mornings, you'd add evening bike rides? I'm happy to do that, I LOVE being on my bike, but I'd been hesitant about that whole thing.
Old 07-19-08, 07:51 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, you should be fine with that, or just sub riding for running. Remember, different muscles, I have known folks who are great runners but really can't crank out miles on bikes.

Whichever way you do it, make sure you have fun!!
Old 07-19-08, 08:11 PM
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally doable. You might get some saddle issues if you are not used to so much sadde time. I have done 60 milers, unsupported, in the midde of nowhere, with a pack of vultures circuling above me.

Get some padded shorts, or even better, bibs. You will use those commando (no undies) and with some kind of buttcream (or even vaseline) to prevent saddle sores. Taking a 10 minute break when your butt hurts helps a lot.

You could also use some gel-filled-gloves to help minimise hand numbness. ANd while you are at it. A couple of polar water bottles (maybe not needed since you gonna be fully suported).

Pack some gels and bars just in case.
Old 08-30-08, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I sprained my knee badly shortly after I posed this question. I just now became able to ride again, and went for a quick ride today. 30 hilly miles fixed (I'm not good at moderation) were relatively painless, I'll be seeing how I feel tomorrow and the next day, but this is is looking a little trickier right now but I'm still optimistic.
Old 08-31-08, 06:16 AM
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just completed my first century with what sounds like a similar training regimen to yours. I wasn't riding super consistently, usually a 30-40 mile ride on weekends and just running errands, commuting, and an occasional shorter ride during the week. I was also working out 3-4 times a week.

My knees were a bit sore the day after the century but I was on the bike two days later and they hurt when I started riding but stopped about 5 or 10 minutes into the ride.

I'd say you'll likely be OK. The usual applies, eat, drink, don't burn yourself out early on. Besides (as I was told when I posted a similar thread) what have you got to lose? Especially if the ride is fully supported. My only concern would be that knee but if you're feeling OK I'd still say go for it.
2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)
Old 09-14-08, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, day 2 got canceled due to the winds/rain from Ike.

Day 1 Ride Report:

Naturally, I slept poorly, woke up at 5 AM with that horrible feeling of knowing you've just gotten a cold. After going to the start point, I was incredibly nervous. I was kind of sick, hadn't grabbed breakfast, hadn't trained at all, and was wearing bike shorts and a jersey without something over them for the first time, and didn't have a riding buddy.

We all got under way at 7:30, and I had a tire blow out after roughly 1/6th of a mile and got to be the first person to see the SAG truck. After getting my wheel patched, I was out of sight of all 488 other riders, way back. I kind of hurried to the first rest stop at ten miles, and didn't have a good sense of pace.

Right after the first rest stop, I found some people keeping a leisurely 16 mph pace and rode with them for 20 miles until they hopped in a truck to ride to the end. Rode the 10 miles to lunch alone, pacing myself at around 18 mph just because it was comfortable. Lunch was 6 miles further than my previous longest ever bike ride. Grabbed a half a peanut butter sandwich and kept going. Found myself going way too fast (around 20-21 mph to the next rest stop) without anyone to pace with, but after the slow start, I was pretty far behind the faster riders. Kept up the brisk pace until I ran into someone averaging around 17.5 mph around mile 58. We rode together until the end, with her getting a little tired and drafting me for much of the distance. I felt great until maybe 4 miles from the end when we ended up going into a massive headwind. By the time I got there, I felt a little tired but good. Since we went off course, our total distance ended up right around 83 miles.

I borrowed a geared bike to do this, and was so nervous I nearly didn't go. I LOVED IT. Riding distance was so much fun, and apparently I'm pretty good at it, belly and all. I felt great, I had a ton of fun, and I really want to buy a proper road bike and start doing centuries. My back hurts a bit, but I was ready to ride again today.
Old 09-14-08, 03:00 PM
I'm just sayin'...

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Cannondale Quick 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent and congratulations!

You have inspired me even more to do this (lose weight/get in shape).

By this time next year? Oh, yeah...

Good for YOU!!!
Old 09-14-08, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no thrill in easy sailing ... but there IS satisfaction that's mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you thought you'd never make.
— Spirella

Congrats & Well Done !!!
Old 09-14-08, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't imagine how inspiring it was for me reading your journey. Just under a year ago I was training for back to back (7 days apart) marathons. I had already run one in January in 85 degree Orlando heat (Disney) and was really wondering if I had lost my mind - Marine Corp and New York on consecutive Sundays.
https://run4jc.blogspot.com/2007/11/n...my-memory.html
Kinda burned me out for running - tried starting back after the normal rest time and my 50 year old body never really 'felt it.'
Now I'm biking - man, I have found my 'happy place.'
As you can see from my marathoning experience, I do love the challenge. I haven't planned anything, but your recount of your event has inspired me. I'm currently commuting 10 miles each way to work 3 days a week and riding between 12-35 miles on the weekend, depending on my schedule. Based on your account, I think I should set my sights on a century. Thanks for sharing the experience!
Old 09-14-08, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Next time do it on your fixed gear. It is not a big deal if you're used to riding it. Just settle into a comfortable spin and watch the miles go by. If you have a flip flop, it would be a good idea to give yourself a bailout gear, but I bet you won't need it.
Old 09-15-08, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love distance riding. You would have been in the thick of it if that tire had not blown. You were going plenty fast enough. Good for you.

First time in bike shorts and jersey in public, huh? My wife met me at the end of my last century ride, and said something to effect that "almost nobody here looks good in lycra". The bicycle and the hunched-over position hides a lot, and I think that a lot of people think that people are showing off their good conditioning, or something. In a vast majority of cases, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Even for the elite riders that were timed for qualification purposes on that ride (it was not a race, but had a qualifying cut-off time used by some people that DO want to qualify to ride in real timed race events later), I'd say less than 10% of them look great wearing their road gear. The rest of us are just regular humans, full of flaws, that like to be comfortable while we ride. I just got used to it after a while. Getting used to how other people look in lycra was easy, but getting used to seeing my own reflection in a window or mirror took a while to get used to. I don't even notice anymore. You get used to it.

Way to go again. Keep riding!