Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

recovery rides

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 11:01 AM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recovery rides

What is a "recovery" ride and when do you make it and for how long?

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 07-21-08, 11:07 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The day after a really hard ride, you go out and take an easy, short cruising ride to keep your legs limber.

2 weekends ago I did 206 miles on Saturday.
Sunday I did a few miles of easy sightseeing along the Portland MUP, and then Monday I did an easy 10 miles around my neighbourhood.
Old 07-21-08, 11:09 AM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Generally a recovery ride is a good idea after doing a "breakthrough" ride - one where you've ridden much longer and/or harder than you normally ride. Your body will need some additional time to recover and build itself up after such rides, so it's good to take it easy the day after to let the recovery process yield maximum benefit. Riding at an easy pace for a short distance (anywhere from a few miles to 10 miles, but there is no "standard" length) encourages blood flow in your muscles, helps to flush out toxins, avoid stiffness, etc.