Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever kill suspension fork springs?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-21-08, 06:49 PM
Perma-n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I have...

Seems the preload adjusters stopped doing anything useful on the Hoss' "Dirt Jam Comp". Took everything apart and it all looks OK. I'm wondering if I just wore out the springs. Might be a factor to consider in any steel spring replacement fork.
Old 07-22-08, 03:26 AM
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes I have. Thats why I'm now running a Surly suspension corrected fork on the Giant. Good luck to you if you want to rebuild. I'm happier with rigid...
Old 07-22-08, 05:33 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Askel
I think I have...

Seems the preload adjusters stopped doing anything useful on the Hoss' "Dirt Jam Comp". Took everything apart and it all looks OK. I'm wondering if I just wore out the springs. Might be a factor to consider in any steel spring replacement fork.
I never wore out springs, but I had the stock spring for my Navigator's fork replaced with a stronger one. Even though there wasn't anything wrong with the first one, Trek and my shop did it as a warranty item, at no cost to me.

Old 07-22-08, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Askel
I think I have...

Most suspension forks are built for 150lb riders not 200+ lb riders, so, yes you can wear out the springs, there are 4 possible solutions:

1) Replace the springs, with a stiffer spring, take the old springs to match the length and size.

2) Return the fork to the manufacturer to get it rebuilt, with stiffer springs.

3) Switch to an air suspension fork, with no springs to wear out, you need to make sure that the fork can handle enough pressure for your weight. Many air suspension forks, can not handle enough pressure for a larger clyde.

4) Switch to a rigid fork. this is advised if you do most of your riding on paved surfaces, where suspension forks really don't help, and just use energy to move the fork up and down.
Old 07-22-08, 11:15 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Suspensions are designed for 150 pound riders.

Search Craigs List and pick up a good rigid framed bike, then sell your existing one. You will never look back!

Here is my $75 C/L Trek 950. Added trekking bars and slicks for road riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek 950 comp 01.JPG (57.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-22-08, 04:23 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I bought a top-of-the-line Manitou fork back in '97. I killed the damping cartridge two or three times and then, at the end of the summer, I actually broke the titanium spring in one leg. I was only about 205 lbs.

I swear by Marzocchi products. They're usually heavier but they are overbuilt, tough and perform very well under larger riders.

Almost any fork manufacturer will offer stiffer springs or at least replacement springs.
Old 07-22-08, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 CHEAPSuspensions are designed for 150 pound riders.

Fixed that for you

you can go ths route https://agouracycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=6806

only set you back $1600. I guarentee you won't break the titanium springs on the 8" of travel, very comfy ride too

ok ok seriously now, my air fork works well for me just fine on my mtb, if a fork is under $120 or so i would say it probably isn't going to work so well for us bigger guys (suspension forks)
Old 07-22-08, 04:56 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have one on my mojave 8.0 that is on it's way out ...

sr suntour xcr ... my lbs says there is no rebuild kit or heavier springs for it ... eh i am debating between an air suspension fork .. or rigid ... most of my riding on this bike is off road tho ... so prob will go with air
Old 07-22-08, 05:39 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heckler
Fixed that for you

you can go ths route https://agouracycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=6806

only set you back $1600. I guarentee you won't break the titanium springs on the 8" of travel, very comfy ride too

ok ok seriously now, my air fork works well for me just fine on my mtb, if a fork is under $120 or so i would say it probably isn't going to work so well for us bigger guys (suspension forks)
I'm the one that originally mentioned 150lbs and suspension forks, and if you look back at that I say most. There are some designed for larger riders, but they tend to be very expensive. For me, if it's between a $1600 suspension for and a $60 rigid fork, it doesn't take a genius to determine which way I will go, just a quick realization that the fork you mention is 3 times the replacement cost of the bike.
Old 07-22-08, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Downhill fork was very much a joke...def anythign on the road go rigid, off road XC air seems good since the pressures can be adjusted (my chart goes up to 220+ (180 psi))
Old 07-22-08, 09:16 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
I guess if you have an unlimited budget, you can get something that can handle the weight. I certainly do not, so I will stick with the $75 rigid framed bike.
Old 07-23-08, 12:42 AM
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am a Clyde(220lbs) and ride a rigid MTB. I picked up a rigid fork for $30 off some bike parts website. I destroyed the factory shock on my bike within a few months of riding..and at that time I was 170lbs. Go figure.