Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Buffalo, NY to become more bike friendly

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 08:03 AM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

https://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2...-07-21-095.asp

Sounds like a great idea. I hope more cities follow Buffalo's lead.
Old 07-22-08, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog
https://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2...-07-21-095.asp

Sounds like a great idea. I hope more cities follow Buffalo's lead.
That sounds good. It also appears to be a reasonably well kept secret. The local paper is usually on top of stuff like this and I didn't read anything about it this past weekend. I ride to work here every day and one of the staff members has a husband that rides into the down town and works in city hall. Cycling is SLOWLY starting to become more popular here in the Greater Buffalo Niagara area. It is good to read that the bike parking will be in the area of town that is already thriving with "sidewalk life." There areas have lots of small stores, restaurants, boutiques, etc. The streets side parking is always full and is adjacent to residential areas. These are prefect places for people to visit on their bikes.

In general there are some excellent projects around here that are finally helping people get out there on their bikes. For one we've had a number of nice Bike Paths (yes they actually call them Bike paths and not MUPS!). The problem in the past was that most didn't connect. That problem is being resolved and allows a lot of folks to by pass some areas that are definitely NOT car friendly. I ride mostly on the streets, but most of the paths are nice and straight and are great for cycling. One of the major missing pieces is the Southtown connector. You can ride all the way from Palmyra NY (East of Rochester) either on paths (Erie Canal Tow Path) or on designiated NY State Bike Route #5 all the way to down town Buffalo. The main problem was that you could not easily or safely get accross the Buffalo River down through Lackawanna. The road is narrow, full of trucks, and definitely not a good place to ride a bike. In the next two years this will be fixed. In the Tonnawandas (North West of down town) there will be a new path put in along a former railway line that will cut diaganolly accross town. This in conjuction with the existing bike path network privides some nice "cross town" bike lanes with very few road crossings.

Buffalo is nowhere near bike nirvanna, but it is nice that there are small but important improvements being made every day.

Happy riding,
André