Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front rack question

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Front rack question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 01:05 PM
Semantic Gynmast

Bikes: Electra Townie 8 700c, Breezer Freedom, miyata 615

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front rack question

...so I picked up this Miyata 615 touring bike, largely because I thought that it would be easy to put a front rack on it and haul 4 panniers (2 front, 2 back):

https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/IMG_1635.jpg

..but in looking around at my rack options now that I got the bike, I'm not so sure. The ones I'm finding online don't seem to connect at the top the with the way the fork on this bike is designed.

I plan on adding fenders and a front rack--any suggestions for a front rack that will work for this bike?
Old 07-23-08, 06:35 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the type of front rack that touring bikes are usually best suited for.

Old 07-23-08, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, image didn't paste. See Nashbar NA-FR
Old 07-23-08, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
There does not seem to be as many front rack options as there are rear racks, but there are still many options depending on what you want to do. I've seen some pannier racks that are designed to not connect at all up top at all (but they may require braze-ons, and I'm not sure what the capacity of those style are). I really like a platform rack up front, and I believe Old Man Mountain has some front racks which will take panniers and give you a platform if that's of any interest.

I do think there's enough variety that if you determine exactly what your attachment options are and exactly what style of rack you need (pannier only, platform only, or both) then you'll find at least a couple that will fit your bike. Once you've narrowed it down that way, you can choose based on fender clearance, if that's a priority.
Old 07-23-08, 07:45 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinyville
...so I picked up this Miyata 615 touring bike, largely because I thought that it would be easy to put a front rack on it and haul 4 panniers (2 front, 2 back):

https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/IMG_1635.jpg

..but in looking around at my rack options now that I got the bike, I'm not so sure. The ones I'm finding online don't seem to connect at the top the with the way the fork on this bike is designed.

I plan on adding fenders and a front rack--any suggestions for a front rack that will work for this bike?
You can use u-bolts to hold lowriders onto forks without midfork braze-ons. This is how Delta does it

That will work with all kinds of racks. Tubus makes a fork mount that works with their racks, too. Check with Wayne at The Touring Store

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-23-08, 08:13 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a photo of the type of front rack you need.

This type of front rack is getting hard to find. You can use a rear rack mounted up front the same way my rack is mounted in the photo above. All you need to do is fabricate a bracket to hold it to the top of the fork in some secure manner. I used the steel reflector bracket by drilling a hole in it and using a screw, nut, and a few washers to get it just right.

You can use large P-clamps available at a hardware store to mount the rack to the top of the forks instead instead of the seat stays as shown in this photo of how there used with seat stays.

The bottom of the rack will mount to the upper fork braze-on just like it would on the rear drop out.

I just remembered where you can obtain this style front rack!

https://www.velo-orange.com/cofrra.html

Last edited by n4zou; 07-23-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-23-08, 09:40 AM
Semantic Gynmast

Bikes: Electra Townie 8 700c, Breezer Freedom, miyata 615

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everybody! I was afraid I might not get any answers one the Wal-Mart stripping thread got rolling, ha ha.

I do want to ultimately run fenders and the front rack. The fork has 2 braze-ons at the bottom, and one hole at the top, above the wheel (don't know the technical name for that location). Ultimately, I'd like to find a rack that will work for panniers and platform both, but to be honest, the platform aspect is more interesting for me cosmetically than practically. I'll just be using panniers up there. There's no braze-on in the middle of the fork, though. For some reason, I thought there were front racks made to attach with that hole in the center of the fork, like getting the fender and the top of the rack both attached at that spot, and then seperately attached at their own braze-ons at the bottom of the fork. But it's looking like I was maybe wrong about that. Then again, it looks like there are other options that will still make it work!
Old 07-23-08, 01:14 PM
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Man Mountain racks will work too. They have a couple of models that attach via the canty brake mounts. I have used the ultimate low-rider model.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 07-23-08, 01:37 PM
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The top of the fork is the "crown".

Looking at n4zou's photos, it sounds like you have the fender eyelets but not the rack eyelets. Most bikes - at least most bikes that have eyelets at all - seem to be like yours rather than n4zou's.
Old 07-23-08, 01:48 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinyville
Thanks, everybody! I was afraid I might not get any answers one the Wal-Mart stripping thread got rolling, ha ha.

I do want to ultimately run fenders and the front rack. The fork has 2 braze-ons at the bottom, and one hole at the top, above the wheel (don't know the technical name for that location). Ultimately, I'd like to find a rack that will work for panniers and platform both, but to be honest, the platform aspect is more interesting for me cosmetically than practically. I'll just be using panniers up there. There's no braze-on in the middle of the fork, though. For some reason, I thought there were front racks made to attach with that hole in the center of the fork, like getting the fender and the top of the rack both attached at that spot, and then seperately attached at their own braze-ons at the bottom of the fork. But it's looking like I was maybe wrong about that. Then again, it looks like there are other options that will still make it work!
Lowrider racks, like those shown from Delta, improve handling over a load carried high. With 60% of your load in them, the bike is easy to ride and handle. Most tourists carry lowriders for this reason. The front deck is usually of little utility in my experience. In other words, if you need the deck to carry stuff, you are carrying too much stuff
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!