Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Allow me to introduce... me!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 11:31 PM
Old biker, new tandem-er!

Bikes: '94 Burley Rock n' Roll, '95 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, '05 GF HKEK, '98 K2 5000, Giant TCR Once Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all.

I'm new here. Joined up to participate in the tandem forum, mainly, as I'm new to the world of two seaters, and will have some questions over there.

I'm by far from new to the two-wheeled world though, as I've been mountain and road biking since 1995 and working in bike shops (off and on) for just as long. I've sold bikes, built bikes, managed bike shops, and worked a while at a local bike company as an intern helping to build frames. I'm not a professional bike mechanic, but I'm pretty handy with my tools.

My fleet of bikes are all pretty pretty well customized at this point and includes:
Trials toy:
1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Manitou SX Ti fork, Magura hydraulic rim brakes, Deore crank with two chainrings and a bash-guard, SRAM ESP twist shifters and rear der. LX hubs and Rhyno Lite rims.
Hard Tail
2005 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Stock Rock Shox fork, stock Truvative crank, ESP twist shifters and rear der. Avid Speed Dials and Arch-Rival brakes. Shimano-free until I changed pedals to SPDs!
Dual-Boinger (full-suspension
1998 K2 Pro-Flex 5000. ESP, RockShox Judy, 4 in travel F/R
Road
Giant Once TCR Team. 105 components, Profile bull-horns and split-second aero-bars with bar-cons and aero levers
Tandem
1993 or '94 Burley Rock 'n Roll. Currently 21-speed with cantilevers and Arai drum brake, flat bars, SunTour thumb shifters, F/R Blackburn Racks, Zephal full fenders. The right-hand brake lever is attached to both cantis and the left lever is hooked up to the drum! Odd.
It will be getting a thorough overhaul in the next week. It will receive a new quick-release 9-speed 40-spoke rear wheel, keeping the drum brake, but connecting it to one of the thumb-shifters for use as a drag-brake. Shifting duties will be handled by Grip-shift Attack twist shifters and a Deore or LX rear Derailleur. Brakes will be upgraded to V's of some sort pulled with Avid Speed Dials in a conventional manner.
Old 07-22-08, 11:33 PM

Bikes: '94 Burley Rock n' Roll, '95 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, '05 GF HKEK, '98 K2 5000, Giant TCR Once Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, yeah. My name is Eric. I'm in the 'burbs outside of D.C. I don't race bikes any more, but I do race cars.
Old 07-23-08, 09:33 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hi Eric, great list of bikes there! Are you sure you don't want to go back to racing bikes? It's got to be cheaper than racing cars !

Who's your tandem partner?

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

Old 07-23-08, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, we race autocross, which isn't that expensive. You can actually do it in a completely stock street car. We race my wife's Protege5, which is a great little all-purpose family wagon, but which we have also done some minor engine and fairly major suspension modifications on to make it a better-handling daily driver and part-time race car.

My lovely wife is going to be my tandem partner, and we're close enough in (bike) size that we may take turns captaining. She has some nice bikes, too:

1998 Trek 8000, LX/XT, GripShift, newer RockShox Judy XC, ThudBuster suspension post.
1998 Schwinn Homegrown Carbon Full-Suspension, XT, 4" Judy Race.
2007 K2 something road bike, Aluminum frame with carbon fork and stays, 105 components.
A late 90's-early '00's Cannondale Road bike, up for sale.