Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

hello from bakersfield,ca

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello,
My name is Eric. I live in Bakersfield. I have been riding bicycles all my life. BMX as a kid, and mountain bikes as an adult. The bike that I am riding is a Pacific yx5500 that I bought at Wal-mart 13 years ago. When I bought it I was broke(still am) and needed a way to get to work. At that time, I didnt have a drivers license. I rode it for 5 years before I got a license and a good job. I stopped riding it and left it growing weeds in the back yards for about 8 years. During that time, I lost the use of my legs due to vasculities, a immune disorder that damaged the nerves in my hands and feet. In the past 3 years I have gone from a wheelchair to walking with a cane and ankle braces. I have gotten out my old Pacific once more as a form of therapy and a means of saving money. My pick up is breaking down and I would like to drive it less. When I first got sick, we bought the kids Electra bicycles. My wife told me then that if I was able to walk again she would buy me a new bike. I am walking and biking again, so I am holding her to it. I hope to ride my pacific POS till I can save enough money for a real bike. I have been looking at the Schwinn Sierra.Nice to meet you all, see you in the community.
Old 07-23-08, 03:23 PM
Easy Day!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Eric,
welcome, and great that you can walk and ride again. I hope your wishes come true very soon and you can enjoy a new bike.
I am new as well, from Texas. Been riding for about 30 years.
See you around the forums!
Old 07-23-08, 03:30 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you deserve a bike. Take some time to vist the shops in your area, see what is out there in your budget and then get back to us with any questions.
Old 07-24-08, 07:06 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Eric, that determination will serve you in good stead. It's great to hear that you are back to being able to walk, and yes, your wife does owe you a bike .

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

Old 07-24-08, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I look forward to a long stay. I have many questions east hill. should i send them im a PM?
Old 07-25-08, 08:19 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sent you a PM... .

East Hill