Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Reckless moron made me wipeout this morning.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 09:01 AM
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have met the moron and he is me. I was coming down the MUP today and it was wet. So I turn onto a wooden bridge at around 16 or 17mph. Wait a minute my tire aren't supposed to go like that: oops, WIPEOUT. Water + wood = slippery. I assess the damage it appears to me in my addled state that the damage consists of an out of true front wheel, my front brakes being knocked askew and my right pedal being pretty much shredded. I push the brakes back into position and continue on my merry way. About 3/4 of a mile latter I hear the squeek of rubber on rubber and then POP. Oops it looks like my front brake pad has eaten my sidewall causing my tube to blow out. eff I am a good eight miles from work with a wrecked tire and a brake that will shred through any patch I put on it. I get off an commence to walking. A kind cyclist stops and point out that my wheel is not straight in my front fork and if I just straighten it out my pad won't rub even though my wheel is still out of true. Thanks Mr. Good Samaritan. I am a moron. So i straigten it out but what can I do about my tire. Ah ha I patch it with an extra large tube patch and continue on to work only pumping the front to about 60 psi. About 4 miles out from work a roadie passes me. Yeah someone to draft. So I let him pull me until he turns of about a half mile to work. Now off to the bike shop.
Old 07-24-08, 09:08 AM
Live without dead time

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a crummy morning, however at least there isn't any serious damage to you or the bike
Old 07-24-08, 09:38 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I know where you're coming from... Back in college I was heading home from class on a rainy afternoon; I cut through the parking garage (with the nice smooth, wet concrete floor) and my front tire gave up traction entirely.
I went down on my side and slid for about 10 feet, with a lot of students watching it happen. I'm all kinds of graceful.
Old 07-24-08, 10:01 AM
Lurker

Bikes: IRO fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there too a few years back when I commuted from downtown Boston. Wiped out on a similar wooden bridge in a downpour, rear quick release shifted. At first I thought the brake had somehow been bent and got out my leatherman to I suppose bend the brake mount (was not thinking clearly, couldn't see and was soaked). Realized the wheel had just shifted so popped that back and rode off. Later I realized the worst part was that I'd left the leatherman on the side of the path and it was of course gone when I went looking for it later.
Old 07-24-08, 10:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadSTPhilly
I have met the moron and he is me. (snip).
Really? Some of my mishaps could only be caused by me - I am sure that I am the moron. This includes some (but not all) of my mishaps with drivers.
Old 07-24-08, 10:17 AM
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought that I had left my wedge bag open and my multitool had fallen out but when I got to work I realized that I had put it in my bookbag. The bike is in the shop and they say the will have it ready by 5:00 so things are looking up.
Old 07-25-08, 08:26 AM
South Denver Commuter

Bikes: 2003 Spec. Epic, 200ish Bianchi Milano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are OK.

I went down on the MUP riding over the thinnest skim of mud with my worn out Schwalbe Big Apples the morning after a hard rain and broke my elbow. This happened almost exactly 1 year ago. Glad you were back on the bike in minutes. I was off the bike for 3 weeks.
Old 07-25-08, 08:57 AM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Glad you are ok. Is that the wooden bridge in Fairmount park near Lincoln drive? If so take solace in the fact that you are not the first, nor will you be the last......
Old 07-25-08, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your reckless moron sounds similar to my reckless moron. I hope you have more hair.
Old 07-25-08, 09:37 AM
Thats me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pretty good one too. A few years ago I was living near campus and didnt have a bike. A friend let me borrow his sweet Sears townie to use for riding around school. I got pretty comfortable on the little turd and would cruise around at a pretty good speed. One day I took a corner a little to fast and saw that I was going to hit a (quite attractive) young girl. Well I of coarse locked up the brakes... unfortunately this bike only had a coaster brake so the back tire was drifting. Well I went to put my inside foot down to prevent sliding out... this of course meant the brake was no longer on, stoping the skid. The bike hooked up and I high-sided into a wall. At least she smiled when I said I was fine.