Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Stem length and/or rise. How do I.....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 10:46 AM
Southern Killafornia

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

.....go about choosing the right stem? I just got a 59cm track frame that'll be here in a few days. I've got a set of 50mm riser bars that I plan on using. When it comes to stem setup, what do you guys recommend in terms of how to measure? I'm coming from a BMX background so I'm pretty clueless to the subtle nuances that are track and road bikes.

Thanks all, NAES
Old 07-28-08, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on the riding position you want. If you want a more upright position, a shorter stem is better. See if a shop will let you try out a few stems and then you can buy one once you know what you want.

If you are tall enough for a 59cm frame, you probably want a fairly long stem. Below 100mm is considered short for anyone.
Old 07-28-08, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
certain things are pretty much the same for all bikes. aside from the position you want to ride in a stem/bar combo can dictate how much leverage you get while sprinting, etc. i've noticed that the farther back my hands are in relation to the line that passes thru the headtube the harder it is to put power into my sprint. and yet the farther forward, the easier it is. given that info plus the one about positioning find a stem and a bar that give you that versatility. personally for short jaunts i like a medium stem and some risers but for longer distances... a short stem and moustache or albatross bars work great.