Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Joining the party

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joining the party

Since I just acquired my first bike in 17 years, a Trek 520 (see this post over at the commuting forum) I figure it's time to introduce myself here at the Clydesdale forum, as I am 5'11" and 250 lbs. My goal is to get below 200, but not too far since I'd like to keep the muscle that I worked hard for doing Olympic lifting, kettlebells, sandbag lifting, and general weightlifting since I left aikido training 8 years ago due to grad school finances. I possess a wide and deep ribcage with broad shoulders - hitting a more typical weight for someone of my height would leave me skeletal . Along the way I plan on a 25 mile round trip bike commute, hence my starting out in the commuting forum.

Today I did a 2.1 mile ride at lunch (including a bit of trails in the woods) that wiped me out. I have a long way to go, and my plan is to work up to the commute sometime in September. Cheers!
Old 07-28-08, 09:52 PM
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I am really jealous. The 520 is a sweet ride. Where are you in Eastern Mass. I commute 20 miles round trip into Boston from Melrose and can share some potential routes with you if your are north of Boston as well.

Keep up the good work. Also pics would be great.
Old 07-28-08, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwies
Congrats on the new bike. I am really jealous. The 520 is a sweet ride. Where are you in Eastern Mass. I commute 20 miles round trip into Boston from Melrose and can share some potential routes with you if your are north of Boston as well.

Keep up the good work. Also pics would be great.
I'm off to the west - living in Waltham, commuting to Burlington. I have a route mapped out that should work well, once I get to that point. Right now I don't have any ambitions to do longer rides since my two little boys keep my wife & I busy on weekends and I need to start with moderate goals to get some success under my belt

Pics are harder to come by. Our digital camera met a sad fate when I dropped the 3rd row seat in our Honda Odyssey on top of it in the dark a while back...if nothing else I'll snap one of the bike at work tomorrow with my super-crappy cellphone cam.
Old 07-28-08, 10:58 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Welcome aboard, there's plenty of room. Pull up a chair and order a bit of your favorite libation.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-29-08, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Welcome aboard, there's plenty of room. Pull up a chair and order a bit of your favorite libation.
Thanks Tom! I've been checking out your blog, your story is inspiring

Here's a pic of the Trek 520:
Old 07-29-08, 02:36 PM

Bikes: '08 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I think you will be able to work up to it quicker than you think. I know I have as my longest ride since I acquired my first bike in nearly 20 years at the end of May just occurred yesterday when I commuted to work for the first time (14 miles RT). Prior to that my longest ride was only 5 miles total! BTW, I am at 410 lbs...I have worked my way down from 430 in just 4.5 months and really have not changed my poor eating habits except for cutting out most of the regular *evil* sodas.

Good luck and keep riding!
Old 07-29-08, 03:45 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Clydes. I'm over by the chips and dip.
Old 07-29-08, 04:19 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the bike, but for pete's sake, get yourself back on the mat while you're at it.
Old 07-29-08, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Congrats on the bike, but for pete's sake, get yourself back on the mat while you're at it.
I wish! Alas, now that I could afford to train again my spare time is mostly taken up by my two little boys, 4 and 2. The old dojo even rented a space for a time a 10 minute drive from my apartment just to taunt me (they've recently moved further away). In a few years I'll get back to that...one thing at a time!
Old 07-29-08, 09:59 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I absolutely love the bike. I long for a nice 520.............................