Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Windsor The Hour loud when working hard

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My windsor makes a loud sound coming off the chainring. Everything is stock in the drivetrain but an EAI cog in the back. Under light or no load the sound is completely gone, but when I push hard- uphill for instance, the sound comes back immediately. The sound definitely matches up with when I push down on the pedal, not simply the rotation of the pedals themselves if that makes sense.

Other things that may be pertinent: The chain currently has wax-type lubricant on it, the chainline is as strait as it came new, the chain has a 1/2 inch or so of slack to it (not sagging, but far from to tight), and there is no noise coming from the back of the bike, only the chainring.

Anyone have any ideas? Is the answer just a better chain and back to basics chain lube, or would you guess something mechanical?

Thanks

The sound is like a ratchet spinning very fast.

Last edited by KyleH; 07-28-08 at 11:15 PM. Reason: forgot the whole point of the post
Old 07-28-08, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sound?

care to elaborate maybe a bit?
Old 07-28-08, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Creaky bottom bracket?
Old 07-28-08, 11:18 PM

Bikes: Windsor "The Hour"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the cog is new, it could just be that "breaking in" sound. I slapped a new Surly cog on mine, and I noticed the same kinda noise when I'm pedaling fast.
Old 07-29-08, 06:03 AM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickgh
If the cog is new, it could just be that "breaking in" sound. I slapped a new Surly cog on mine, and I noticed the same kinda noise when I'm pedaling fast.
I concur. It's something I've heard many times with new drivetrain components. Certain chains also resonate more sound that others and I found that non-standard, cheap chains definitely do this. I've used a half-link chain before and now a cheap, heavy-duty BMX chain and both were loud under hard pedaling. Check your chain.
Old 07-29-08, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cog was switched out the day I bought the bike, so both have equal miles on them. I guess it could be that all the components are new, I've only ridden the bike for 2 1/2 months so maybe 200-300 miles, it just seems odd that all the noise comes off the chainring rather than coming off the cog people here have problems with.
Old 07-29-08, 08:34 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
chain size compared to width of cog and chainring?
i run a 1/8 chain on 3/32 parts so there is a bit of noise...this morning my chain was louder than usual but i think its the ice wax i have been using, your supposed to reapply after every ride