Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sunscreen for your face

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sunscreen for your face

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 10:51 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Sunscreen for your face

I've been spending a lot more time cycling in the sun than ever before. I don't mind slathering sunblock on my arms, neck, etc., but I don't like that greasy-faced feeling of putting any quantity on my face. So this weekend, having ridden several hours on two beautiful sunny days, I didn't like the redness in my face when I looking in a mirror. I've had a couple of basal cell thingies removed in the past and would like to be cautious given my general history of skin disorders.

So what type of sunblock is particularly good for use on your face? I remember using a gel-type product a few years ago called (IIRC) "Shade", but don't remember how effective it was.

Also, what about getting sun on a balding pate through the helmet vents? I have a fabric helmet liner that would cover my head, but in the summer it counteracts the reason for the vents in the first place and just makes my head super-sweaty.
Old 07-29-08, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife bought me the Neutragena Dry Touch sunblock. It's like wearing no sunscreen at all and seems to last a long time even in hot weather.
Old 07-29-08, 11:06 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To keep the sun off my head I wear a cycling cap turned around backwards. I haven't noticed my head being too hot but I have noticed that my sunglasses don't get sweat dripping on them anymore.
Old 07-29-08, 11:14 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
For your balding head this product is GREAT!! I use the sweat band when I work
around the property and a sweat cap when I ride. THEY ARE GREAT!!

CAP.....
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

BAND...

HAT.....(Good al'round solution but you'll have to ditch the helmet)

As far as you face/neck the only real solution is shade. Kinda hard to do on a bike but not
impossible if you think outside the box.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 07-29-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 12:24 PM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear a skull cap or "do rag" under my helmet to prevent weird suntan patterns on the top of my head. My wife and I use Ocean Potion FACE SPF 45 Clear Zinc Oxide on our faces and it is a good product. The wife stands in the Florida sun most of the day giving tennis lessons so is particular about her sunscreen. I don't use the same stuff on my arms and legs though, it would take too much of it to cover other than my face/ears.
Old 07-29-08, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear "Head Sweats" and find no difference in cooling. (In fact they help protect from being stung from the occasional bee that flies into the helmet vents. For my face I use Neutrogena Age Shield SPF45 and a full beard.
Old 07-29-08, 01:03 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They have powder sunscreen out now made with minerals so your pores don't get blocked up. It's in the women's make up section, but it's unbelievably awesome. You just brush it on, and it doesn't sweat off.
Old 07-29-08, 01:18 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Read this --> https://www.ewg.org/node/22204
I switched sunscreen products after I read it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-29-08, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an athletic water resistant sun screen and it works very well to date. Currently Coppertone from Wally World. It seems a lot less oily feeling and I wash my hands afterwards and only apply to exposed areas like the outisde and front of legs and arms.and no higher than the bottom of the eye area.
Old 07-29-08, 01:31 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Jane Iredale, and it got a 2 on that list, which is pretty good.
Old 07-29-08, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
The wife bought me the Neutragena Dry Touch sunblock. It's like wearing no sunscreen at all and seems to last a long time even in hot weather.
I tried that stuff. It seemed to work pretty well, but when it gets in the eyes, it feels like acid.
I've had good luck with Banana Boat Faces and regular Banana Boat. Ocean Lotion is good, too.
Tried some generic stuff and got burned a little.
Old 07-29-08, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to use sunscreen due to being immunosuppressed. Over the past couple of summers, I've tried the more expensive brands with the more exotic chemicals in them, but every single one gives me a rash. So I just use Coppertone Faces oil-free. I don't know what it's doing to minimize my long term UV exposure, but I sure haven't had any sunburn on my face despite hours of riding in the sun. Of course, I do reapply if I'm out much longer than a couple of hours. The one negative about sunscreen is the need to reapply. I won't do it on the road unless I can wash it off my hands somehow, because it gets all over my bar tape and Campy hoods. A little package of wet towels in my handlebar bag does the trick.
Old 07-29-08, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 1979 Rampar R-1 (SS Conversion), 1991 Jamis Exile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion. Just spent a couple of weeks fishing, and no sunburn even after spending all day on the water, though I'm very fair skinned. Felt good on my skin -- almost like there was nothing there.
Old 07-29-08, 05:09 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Walgreens zinc oxide stuff for the face. It got a real good review for effectiveness. It looks bad like cold cream at first, but once you rub it in it disappears and you don't notice any more.
Old 07-30-08, 01:31 AM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Bald pate or not do not use any of the classic sunscreens above the eyes where it may end up sweating into them. Sunscreen in the eyes stings like blazes. I only made that mistake once many years ago in ignornace and again one time when I somehow got some on my hands and rubbed my eye with the finger. Oh man did that sting. Had to find a place to wash and rinse it out of my eyes. ince then I wear head gear of some form instead of using sunscreen anywhere above the eyes.

Some of these new ones they are talking about here may prove to be different in that regard but any of the "usual" ones will burn your eyes out like someone is sticking a knife into them.
Old 07-30-08, 08:18 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Read this --> https://www.ewg.org/node/22204
I switched sunscreen products after I read it.
I did too, but haven't been happy with what I've tried so far. I'm still experimenting.

+1 on the skull cap. I have no bald spots, but keep my hair so short my scalp would burn.
Old 07-30-08, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
+1 on that. I have been using it for two years now and have been very happy with.

Know what to say about how to protect your dome. Got mine covered still.

You know what they say, "God made a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair."
Old 07-30-08, 08:36 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use Clinique city block on my face, Coppertone sport spray everywhere else (allegedly it's waterproof), and wear a cycling hat or skullcap to protect my head. And still I tan. Oh, well...
Old 07-30-08, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
There's also the long forgotten aspect...after the ride. I have been using aloe vera gel on the arms. I don't know if it will make any difference but no harm trying. Perhaps in the long run there might be some good to it. Also in riding, much like sailing, there is also wind burn. That will make your skin turn red too. Here again aloe vera gel might be good for the skin.
Old 07-30-08, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have a problem with putting regular sunscreen on my face so I can't comment on that. I just use Coppertone 30, or even a generic spf 30. I have a helmet with a visor. I think that helps quite a bit in protecting your face, though not enough to consider forgoing sunscreen. I wear those "pirate" bandana things to protect the top of my balding head from sun-through-the-vents. I bought some from Nashbar or Performance made from CoolMax. They're called "HeadSweatz" I think. They probably add to my hot head, but I don't find them uncomfortable. They're overpriced though.
Old 07-30-08, 12:18 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For touch-ups on the road I use Neutrogena Sunblock Stick. SPF (only) 30. It's like a chunk of chapstick, which has two advantages: it doesn't seem to run into my eyes (too waxy); and I can put it on without getting it on my hands.
Old 07-31-08, 12:35 AM
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
For touch-ups on the road I use Neutrogena Sunblock Stick. SPF (only) 30. It's like a chunk of chapstick, which has two advantages: it doesn't seem to run into my eyes (too waxy); and I can put it on without getting it on my hands.
Thanks for the link! I haven't noticed that in stores, but it looks like a good solution for a longer ride.
Old 07-31-08, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Douglas Matrix, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A biking vet coworker of the wife suggested some stuff called Blue Lizard. It's only available on the net (AFAIK) but this stuff is amazing. I used one coat for the Triple Bypass, spent 11.5 hours in the sun at 9000-12000' ASL and didn't even get pink. Truly amazing stuff IMHO.
Old 07-31-08, 07:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the evidence I've seen seems to suggest there is very little difference between SPF 30 and SPF 60. If the latter costs much more, it's probably not worth buying it.