Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Columbus to Cincinnati Route?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 08:58 AM
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all... my good friend and I are discussing doing a 2 day ride from Columbus to Cincinnati and back again (about 200 miles). After a little looking around, I saw this:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...?pg=detail&s=4

Basically, you follow the Underground Railroad Route via a long ass bike trail, that apparently goes from Alabama, up through Ohio and over and up to Canada.

Anyone ever...

1. Do Columbus to Cincin? If so, what route did you take and how was it?
2. Do the Underground Railroad route?

Very curious to give this a go but trying to get as much info as possible first...

Thanks!

Last edited by Tsuru; 07-30-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-30-08, 02:42 PM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may help:

https://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/Home.aspx

https://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/Map.aspx
Old 07-30-08, 02:51 PM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooo... thanks! Is that the same basic path as the Underground Railroad path? Looks really good, I imagine that even if it's a different trail, it still takes advantage of the 50 miles of Little Miami Scenic Trail I've read about.

Anyone do the trek? Or any other 200 miles in 2 days from Columbus odyssey besides TOVSR which I hope to do next year!
Old 08-03-08, 05:46 PM
Guy on a Bike

Bikes: Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently made this journey. I started by heading out Rt. 40 (Broad St.) towards West Jefferson. In WJ, I turned South (left) onto Rt. 142. Rt. 142 took me to London, where I picked up the trail.

Here's a google map I made of the trip. Note the jump off of regular roads south of London. This is where I picked up the path.

I headed out of Columbus at 6am on a weekday Rt. 40 and Rt.142 were not busy when I traveled on them.
Old 08-04-08, 06:26 PM
old but fast

Bikes: Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tsuru, here is an idea you might want to try. There is a ride in Ohio called the XOBA (cross ohio bike adventure) put on by Columbus outdoor pursuits. That is the exact ride they did this year, started in Kentucky near cincy and followed the underground railroad to Sandusky, ohio. It ended just a week ago, so my guess is the road makings and still there. They used images of the state of Ohio with arrows to mark the route.

You should contact columbus outdoor pursuits and see if you can get their route maps.
Old 08-05-08, 06:22 AM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeUnit
I recently made this journey. I started by heading out Rt. 40 (Broad St.) towards West Jefferson. In WJ, I turned South (left) onto Rt. 142. Rt. 142 took me to London, where I picked up the trail.

Here's a google map I made of the trip. Note the jump off of regular roads south of London. This is where I picked up the path.

I headed out of Columbus at 6am on a weekday Rt. 40 and Rt.142 were not busy when I traveled on them.
Thanks for the route info, that looks pretty good, I was thinking of trying a East on Broad route soon to see what it's like.

But, there are no links in you post, I would definitely love to see your maps! =)

Originally Posted by leinad
tsuru, here is an idea you might want to try. There is a ride in Ohio called the XOBA (cross ohio bike adventure) put on by Columbus outdoor pursuits. That is the exact ride they did this year, started in Kentucky near cincy and followed the underground railroad to Sandusky, ohio. It ended just a week ago, so my guess is the road makings and still there. They used images of the state of Ohio with arrows to mark the route.

You should contact columbus outdoor pursuits and see if you can get their route maps.
That sounds great! I'll check them out. I still have plenty of training to do, and I need to get a real road bike. Doing the 100 km Sunday up from Columbus into Delaware was brutal on a vintage Schwinn converted to single speed!!!

Going to go see some bikes tonight for my wife and me...

=)

thanks so much!!!
Old 08-05-08, 07:39 PM
mmmm hills

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man that looks awesome. Definately going to ride that some day.
Old 08-06-08, 08:06 AM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
step one.... get a proper bike for the trek.

check, done.

step two.... keeeeeeeep on trainin'!
Old 08-12-08, 04:16 AM
Shrinking Clyde

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been a big fan of W. Broad. I like to add an extra loop starting in Hillard, taking the Heritage Trail to Plain City (grabbing some der dutchman donuts) then down 42 to London. From London the bike trail to Xenia is a nice ride. I have not done the southern part I just know around Lebanon there are some pretty steep hills to drive but I think the path is all rail road grade so not to bad.
Old 08-12-08, 07:06 AM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah.... I haven't gone west too much, my rides tend to go north, south, and out east. So west from central columbus is a bit of an unknown beyond Grandview.

Definitely need to pick up some westward 30s, 40s, & 63mile rides... Guess I could take the bike path up to 161 or Bethel-ish, then head to Dublin and out that way? I used to live out there, so I'm partially familiar.
Old 06-09-10, 10:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike from Columbus to Cincinnati

I biked from Columbus to Cincinnati just this past weekend (memorial day 2010).

40w (broad st) to S.R. 142 in West Jefferson. Took that to London Ohio. There I caught the Prairie Trail and took that south to Xenia. In Xenia I hopped on the Little Miami Scenic River all the way to Cincinnati.

Very clearly marked, easy to follow, and plenty of stops for food, etc.

Got a little congested around 270W loop in Hilliard, but do-able.

Ilya Bodner
Old 07-05-10, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A few years back I used to ride out to Plumwood, which is west of Hilliard. I think there may be a store out there. I used to ride out to Mechanicsburg also. But those are good destinations for a days' ride from Columbus.