Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Online Purchase with Threadless Fork?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 01:39 PM
Much better Mr. Buckles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you purchase a SS/FG complete online from a dealer like Bikes Direct, how do they ship the threadless fork? Already cut?

From pictures/descriptions on this forum, it looks like they are already cut and you can just fasten the stem, right out the box and ride.

I've never purchased a bike with a threadless fork and I'm not really sure how they determine where to cut it to ensure the proper height (ie if they cut it just above the top tube and the customer wants something higher, is the only way to adjust to get a stem with a higher angle?)

I'm really close to buying a Surly Steamroller and I'd really rather have a threaded fork. I've read on the forum that it's sometimes hard to find a LBS that can cut threads for this. Does anyone know of a site that will sell this bike with a threaded fork and/or cut the fork for me?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-08, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well my 61cm Windsor Hour came w/ (2) 1/2" spacers on it, so like 1/2" above and below the stem to adjust.

My friends Kilo TT however, which is smaller (53cm I think) has like 2" of spacers
Old 07-30-08, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 57cm kilo from bikesdirect came with an uncut steerer/fork, so after getting some advice and reading some tips, i took a tube cutter (aka pipe cutter) and trimmed off 1 inch, leaving 2 large spacers below where the stem clamps on. I made sure not to cut into the star nut inside of the steerer, and used a wooden dowel rod to tap it out of the fork and back into it, now cut. I also used metal-friendly sandpaper on the steerer, post-cut. It may have been easier if I had a file to smooth it out further.

before:

after:
Old 07-30-08, 02:17 PM
Much better Mr. Buckles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's completely random/arbitrary the height at which they set it?

Last edited by ghostofcrujones; 07-30-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its partially based on fit, the way i understand it. depending on your style of handlebars and your seatpost height, there may be an ideal height for the fork. this, of course, can be adjusted further with the use of a stem that inclines or declines. i was told that it might not be good to cut it down to the absolute minimum (no spacers) mainly because you can't ever add height back onto the steerer, and it could affect the resale value a little if it's less customizable.
Old 07-30-08, 02:24 PM
Ketchup

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ghostofcrujones
So it's completely random/arbitrary the height at which the set it?
I don't think any of us knows except for bikes direct guy.

My 56cm Dawes SST came with 2 half-inch and 2 quarter-inch spacers.
Old 07-30-08, 02:36 PM
Much better Mr. Buckles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, i mean, i think its smarter to err on the side of caution in terms of leaving some room to raise the stem.

as for it being based on relation to your seat height, these guys dont know and/or arent asking your height or seat height. what a tricky issue that no one has a more elegant solution to.