Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike mirror commentary - Long

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was answering the mirror question thread today and realized that I have now used some of the most referenced, non helmet of goggle mounted mirrors. I thought I would share my comments. I noticed that a lot of cyclists were using Sprintech mirrors at RAIN this year so I think the use of bar and down tube mirrors is increasing.

I used a mirror mounted to my riding goggles for 20 years. I now prefer not to use that style. The Take-A-Look mirror and other helmet and glasses/goggles mounted are fine choices. With the development of better bar and down tube mounted mirror designs, I now prefer to use those.

I have dual Sprintech mirrors. They are generally good. They give a fine view, are aerodynamic, and do not intrude on bar space in any way so you can still place your hand in any position on the bars. They get knocked out of adjustment when you stop at stop signs unless you are extremely attentive at keeping your bars straight and not hitting them against your leg. They also get out of adjustment if you lay your bike down, lean it against something, transport in a vehicle, etc. You get the idea. The plastic mirror tends to get scratched and blurry over time and the mirror comes loose and rattles so you have to super glue it.

The Italian Bike Mirror is high quality glass that does not scratch and because it is installed by wrapping thick electrical tape to hold it in place once you get it adjusted and then wrapped with bar tape, it does not get out of adjustment. The viewing area is significantly smaller than the Sprintech and you have to wrap your bar tape from the top of the bar instead of the preferred way of wrapping from the bar end. If your bars are wrapped from the end then the bars have to be wrapped again for the initial installation.

The Zefal Cyclop looks like an interesting bar end mirror but I have not tried it. I think it might be new.
https://zefal.com/zefal/produit.php?key=471

The mirror that I like the best is the one that attaches to your down tube and you view through your legs. The first one that I tried was the Zefal Spy Mirror.

You will probably be skeptical, but the down tube mirror works great. You can see straight behind and monitor cyclists drafting behind you. If you are alone you can look straight behind and see cars coming from long distances. If you look at a slight angle you can see to your left or right. This is my preferred mirror and I have gone back to looking over my left shoulder to confirm what is behind instead of relying exclusively on my mirrors. When you look over your shoulder your ear is also turned toward the rear and you can hear what is behind you much more clearly because your ear is turned in the right direction and also you get the added benefit of having your ear shielded from the roar of the wind so you can hear better. I still think hearing is the best method of detecting cars. Most of the time I hear cars before I notice them in a mirror even when facing forward with the wind roaring in my ears. I am rarely able to use any mirror to see behind me if someone is drafting.

Now I come to what I think is the best mirror. The Bike-Eye. It mounts on the down tube, is made of clear, high quality glass, and stays adjusted. It's oblong shape allows you to look through it whether riding upright or in the drops. It is easy to look to your left or right side by looking at it at an angle.
https://www.bike-eye.com/new/product.shtml

This is the mirror that I think I will use exclusively and take the Sprintech's off.

I had to ride my backup bike while my main bike was being repaired. I forget to take the mirrors off so I rode without any mirrors for the first time in decades. I found that looking over your shoulder is the safest method of verifying what is behind you, except for viewing someone drafting you. It also made me realize how much better I could hear if I turned my head. So the bike-eye and looking over my shoulder is the best way for me to see and hear what is behind me.

Last edited by dekindy; 02-24-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 08:06 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Mods....please move to --->fred forum....

Ooops. Nevermind.

Old 07-31-08, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that overview and I have not used mirrors in the past but I am going to try the Bike Eye I think because I would eliminate the false alarms before needing to look back. However, I would never just use any mirror to rely on or move left before looking but it could help out.