Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

which clipless? and why

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

which clipless? and why

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which clipless? and why

When I went to the LBS, they had crankbros smartys in stock. It seems like I can disconnect and just hang on a little on the pedal when I feel a little uncomfortable. The original clipless pedal I was looking at were the crankbros mallet. They cost almost double to the smarty and it would take about 2 weeks to come in. I am a newbie with clipless, but I also dont ride very hard. I do mild trails and roads. I occasionally do small jumps, or roots , rocks etc.. In the end the mallet would be useless, but also I like the mallet cause it seems I can just use my regular shoes when I want to to go ride, or will it be uncomfortable? Either way, I would like peoples input on the smarty pedals and mallets and their experiences. Thanks
Old 08-01-08, 08:18 AM
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macro
When I went to the LBS, they had crankbros smartys in stock. It seems like I can disconnect and just hang on a little on the pedal when I feel a little uncomfortable. The original clipless pedal I was looking at were the crankbros mallet. They cost almost double to the smarty and it would take about 2 weeks to come in. I am a newbie with clipless, but I also dont ride very hard. I do mild trails and roads. I occasionally do small jumps, or roots , rocks etc.. In the end the mallet would be useless, but also I like the mallet cause it seems I can just use my regular shoes when I want to to go ride, or will it be uncomfortable? Either way, I would like peoples input on the smarty pedals and mallets and their experiences. Thanks
My friend runs Smartys (or Smarties? Oh English). The platform around it is near useless. I run Mallets after running Eggbeaters for a while. The platform on the Mallets don't grip like my Syncroses do, but they grip well enough with soft soled shoes (skate, tennis, etc.). However, the grip is crap on a XC shoe.
Old 08-01-08, 11:24 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like with most new clipless riders, I suggest not clipping out when you think the trail is a bit sketchy. Otherwise, you may never get comfortable riding fully clipped in. If, however, you want something with a platform because you use the bike for more than trail usage and may use it with "regular" shoes, I can completely understand the desire to have a platform available.

I only ride XC, though, so that advice is only coming from one perspective.
Old 08-01-08, 11:30 AM
Nitro

Bikes: Salsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the regular eggbeaters feel more comfortable when un clipped then ones with platforms.
Old 08-01-08, 11:39 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/401343-clipless-pedal-spd-bebop-vs-rest.html
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 08-01-08, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like the smartys because you can't rebuild them. The Candy SLs are what I have on my Epic. They're the same platform as the smarty, they're just rebuildable so you'll get more life out of them.
Old 08-01-08, 01:01 PM
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano M647. Decent platform, and adjustable tension which is a nice feature for someone learning clipless for the first time.

The Smarties are crap disposable pedals with bad bearings/bushings/seals, and not very serviceable.

"oh, but crank bros. has such great warrantee stuff..." is usually the response to stuff like that. And the helps me out just how when I want to ride and my pedals are falling apart?
Old 08-01-08, 02:06 PM
Peace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the smarty pedals really are crap

my first clipless pedals were a pair of crankbros mallets
that was over a year ago and i've never regretted it

also i've tried crankbro Candy
these were nice pedals. quality and feature-full

then i bought a cheap pair of smarty pedals
CRAP CRAP CRAP PIECES OF CRAP

maybe for five or ten bucks, but damn, i threw away something like 35 bucks.

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...79_135crx.aspx
i suggest bookmarking mtbr for their user reviews. comes in handy when you're looking for users' experience stories.

please don't buy Smarty pedals.
Old 08-01-08, 04:30 PM
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
Like with most new clipless riders, I suggest not clipping out when you think the trail is a bit sketchy. Otherwise, you may never get comfortable riding fully clipped in. If, however, you want something with a platform because you use the bike for more than trail usage and may use it with "regular" shoes, I can completely understand the desire to have a platform available.

I only ride XC, though, so that advice is only coming from one perspective.
I agree with this . . . even if it is hard to swallow. Like many things, learning takes a little time and effort but one is almost always better off doing it right.

Clipless on the road is a no brainer (even though we all fell at least once). Just so little down side. So many roadies that are clipless users are very tempted to use platforms on XC trail riding. You will fall more staying clipped it. You will go slower through than technical spots. You will be frustrated. But you will get better.

Also, if one needs to be very thrifty with clipless, get some SPD type pedals. At the low end of the price scale, they are the best option. I think crank bros makes some nice pedals, but their low end offerings across the board are junk.
Old 08-01-08, 04:41 PM
Rodney Strong

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
For the person new to clipless, I would suggest the Shimano 520 or 540 with multi release clips. If you have a panic stop or crash your feet will pop out. I've been using the 540 with multi for two years and have only crashed once due to being stuck in my pedals. That was the first day I had clipless. And I have never had an unwanted release.

Old 08-01-08, 06:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank bros pedals sem to have a different release to other 'spd' pedals, if this is bothering you, perhaps do what the others have said and get a cheap pair of shimno pedals. Half the fun of bike riding is finding a setup that you like, don't be scared
Old 08-01-08, 07:29 PM
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride smartys and they work just fine. I rode them with regular shoes in the rain too and they worked fine.
Old 08-01-08, 08:05 PM
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaRow
I ride smartys and they work just fine. I rode them with regular shoes in the rain too and they worked fine.

It isn't a question of them working. It's a question of them being poorly constructed, crap pedals.
Old 08-01-08, 10:00 PM
Harumph

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the option, I'd trade in my Shimano clipless platforms for some Time Atacs. The platform on the Shimano is useless as far as I can tell. The Time Atac pedal is a very nice pedal with a smooth release... I had to looses my Shimanos quite a ways in order to release smoothly else I had to rip my foot outta the pedal.
Old 08-01-08, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget the Smarty's, try the Acids

I agree that the Smarty's are poorly designed. I had two of them that work fine. I bought a third set and had to throw them away. It had a problem where the spring would move to one end and lock up. At this point even when you clipped out, the spring would not return and you could not clip in again until you manually moved the spring. Another friend had the exact same problem and returned his Smarty's.

I have the Candy's which are built a lot better. However, if you are considering the Mallet, I would recommend the Acid 1 pedals instead. They have a pretty big platform on them and are lighter. They can be found at around the same price point as the Mallets. I have the Acids on a mountain tandem and the bigger platform (compared to Smarty's and Candy's) allows me to clip in alot easier.
Old 08-02-08, 03:17 PM
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
It isn't a question of them working. It's a question of them being poorly constructed, crap pedals.
As far as I'm concerned, if a pedal has 1.5k really muddy miles on it with out a single problem than it isn't that bad. Thats my $.02.

Last edited by JaRow; 08-02-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 05:46 PM
Novice

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the comment on Time Atac pedals. Very smooth and easy to use, plus built like a rock to take abuse.
Old 08-02-08, 08:59 PM
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay Frogs,,,,,Period! Which clipless and why??? Because when I want out, I want out. I rode SPD, Eggbeaters, blah, blah, blah. I have gone down many times solely because I couldn't feel comfortable in sketchy situations when I wasn't sure I could get in and out easily enough.

I feel totally comfortable in them, I rode them around my weight equipment in the basement which has very little clearance room and treacherous conditions if you fall. I found out that if you felt comfortable getting in and out, you would be better at slow speed agility techniques. My frogs give me that total freedom. I ride speedplay zeroes on my road bike. I also have a bike with Look Keo's and still prefer my speedplays.
Old 08-02-08, 10:15 PM
Dismember

Bikes: Jamis 2008 Komodo, 40's Malvern Star 16" my 1st! , 58 Malvern Star 28", (gave it to the LBS for display), Voodoo Wanga SS, Voodoo Bokor commuter, Wilier Triestina Lavaredo, Kojima Condor 80's resto roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just starting out on SPD clipless for MTB and it's like I'm learning to ride all over again. On platforms if something was a bit dodgy i'd go at it and if I made it great, if I didn't so what I'd dab a foot and carry on. With clipless I'm unclipping before the dodgy stuff and or stopping, my confidence is lower than its been for a while, admitedly today was wet and slippery but Iv'e got to start hammering the trickey stuff or I may as well go back to platforms. I can see that if I get the hang of it it will make me faster and smoother but it's not there yet. Road in clipless is easy, been doing toe straps for 30 years, MTB is giving me heaps.

Old 08-02-08, 11:50 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For learning:

SPD style. The adjustable tension is great for beginners.

For once you're used to clipless: Probably Time Atacs.

I use crank brothers. I'd probably use Times because of all the issues I've heard of with CB, except I like having the same system on both of my bikes, and bare eggbeaters really can't be beat for on and off the bike (cyclocross). If I didn't race cross or could afford a second set of nice shoes I'd have ATACs on the mountain bike.
Old 08-04-08, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
For learning:

SPD style. The adjustable tension is great for beginners.

For once you're used to clipless: Probably Time Atacs.

I use crank brothers. I'd probably use Times because of all the issues I've heard of with CB, except I like having the same system on both of my bikes, and bare eggbeaters really can't be beat for on and off the bike (cyclocross). If I didn't race cross or could afford a second set of nice shoes I'd have ATACs on the mountain bike.
I have always used Atac Aluminum and love them, luckily I they were refered to me when I got into the sport. I have a friend that rides with me once in a while and he is an old MXer and he can not get used to them because they were always sticking out their leg on turns. He always feels like he won't be able to get loose from them. I have taken a few spills and have come out OK without twsting an ankle, it's more in the mind I think.
Old 08-04-08, 10:44 AM
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
I ride eggbeaters. No complaints. Awesome pedals.

I also agree, don't clip out when you hit somethin sketchy. YOU CAN DO IT!!! stay clipped in. You'll always have better control. I also find that, at least in my experience, when you clip out, one of two things inevitably happens. You accidentally clip back in and crash anyway or your foot slips off the pedal causing a crash. Only clip out if you KNOW you need to.
Old 08-04-08, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time ATACs are the only way to go. I traded in my SPDs years ago and have never looked back. Solid clip in, smooth clip out, just the right amount of float, never get clogged with mud. No contest.

And yeah, stay clipped in. You have 10 times more control over your backside.
Old 08-04-08, 08:43 PM
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my shimano 520's with just the normal cleats, I always have clipped out when I crash and if the front washes out on a turn I always get clipped out to dab a foot(maybe even easier than platforms), I think that's the natural motion to slide your foot off. If your going over the bars the bike will probably come with you on platforms too. As your thigh hitting the bars will tip it over. don't be scared of clipless, I prefer a non-platorm clipless.
Old 08-04-08, 10:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents...I love my eggbeaters. I've used Mallets and they were ok, but you shouldn't get them if the appeal is you can ride in them unclipped. They provide no traction. Ok for a cruise down the road in your sandals, but I wouldn't recommend clipping out while trail riding. But like others said, you shouldn't ever clip out anyways. Plus the mallets are heavy. The only thing I don't like about the eggbeaters is you pretty much have to be clipped in to ride. No casual ride to the store or whatever in regular shoes. So I bought $5 flats from Dick's to swap out for those situations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.