Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing New Disc Brakes? Levers have no power?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EDIT: the title should say "New Disc Brake Pads".

I installed new disc brake pads. I have Hayes...

1. I removed the old pads
2. I tried to insert the new pads.
3. But, there wasn't enough space.
4. Without doing any research I decided maybe I should loosen the bolts that face perpendicular from the fork. This opens up that space so the pads can fit in. However, of course when you tighten those bolts back down there is no space between the pads and you can't put your wheel back on.
5. So I went back to the internet and read that one should push the pistons back to make space, but not to push the part in the middle.
6. I did this and my brakes went in fine and all was well.
7. However, when I went to use the brakes they had no power whatsoever.
8. I then noticed a seemingly small amount of fluid had leaked from around the brakes.
9. So I went back to reading and it said the brakes have to wear in.
10. So I rode around the parking lot braking and braking for a substantial amount of time. The brakes seem to get better, but not ever to where they should be.

The levers don't seem to have any power, they come back much farther than the other brake, which seems not right. As well one can see that with the back brake the pads actually compress around the disc, whereas on the front the pads barely move. It seems like maybe I lost some hydraulic fluid? Or, got air in the system?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-02-08, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have actually researched more myself before posting. From what I've read if the brake levers go back to the handlebars you need to bleed the brakes... Luckily one of the LBSs carries the kit.
Old 08-02-08, 07:45 PM
black betty

Bikes: custom flatlandbike, trek fuel ex8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think those bolts 'perpendicular to the fork' may have been what holds the caliper together, which you dont want to touch unless you are overhauling them.

so pretty good chance you lost some fluid opening up your caliper like that. hayes arent that hard to bleed though