Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Super Sport Ultra 2 or Gary Fischer Mendota or the Trek 7.5 for Commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Schwinn Super Sport Ultra 2 or Gary Fischer Mendota or the Trek 7.5 for Commuting

Old 08-02-08, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for my First Commuting Bike...Confused

This is my first post on the forum and my first attempt to start commuting on a bike. I was out this weekend looking for something for biking to my work.

I have a 10 mile commute ( from bethesda,md - tenleytown metro, dc ), mostly road and some on the trail.

I like something which I can put a rack on, and something which is going to be light and fast.

-I am 5'10, 180 pounds, medium built
-I am going to have my laptop and couple of books in my bookbag
-I will be locking my bike at my tenleytown office and taking shuttle to reston
-
I guess I need to get a bike ( commuter, preferbly ), a good lock. I have a good bookbag and would like to keep it.

Here are the options I liked

-- 2007 Super Sport Ultra 2 - Great ride, I liked it and it was coming on a great sale on my LBS ( close to $750)
-- 2008 Gary Fischer Mendota - Loved the ride and handling and the lightness, but is a little more than i would like to spend ( 850 + tax )
-- 2008 Trek 7.3 / 7.5 - I drove the 7.2, did find it more on the heavier side, I saw the 7.5 but did not have my size, but like the weight and the finish. I am test driving a 7.3 tommorow.

Other options I did not like Fuji

I have a helmet / rear / front lights and a foot pump.

I have a budget of 700-800, what do you guys recommend as my first commuter bike. I like the shwin for the price, but then, I was thinking it is a 2007, so it might not be that good, otherwise it would have been sold till now.

Thanks,
Jitesh

Last edited by jitubats; 08-02-08 at 04:30 PM.