Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

2007 Dahon Mu P8, yeah/ nah... ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 01:34 PM

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Mu P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So after trying out a few Dahons i have decided to go with the Mu P8, too bad it is pretty pricey in Canada... but i have found a great deal on the 2007 model. So what do you guys think about the 2007 Mu P8 ? I would very much appreciate reviews from 2007/2008 Mu P8 owners. I have also read about the handle post /handlebar being flexible, is it that bad and noticeable ?
What about the the locking mechanism 2007 vs 2008 ?

Thor - thank you so much for your help, unfortunately we are not going to the trip we planned to the states, but next flodie will be purchased from you while i am in Florida !

Thanks guys !

Last edited by Tommy C; 08-04-08 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 02:27 PM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
That is a nice model with great components. https://www.dahon.com/archive/2007/us/mup8.htm make a copy of the 2007 and then a copy of the 2008 and compare them. i think the hinge clamp is new for 2008.
Old 08-03-08, 10:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks good

I have compared the components, I think i like the 2007 better.... the saddle was more comfortable and overall it looks good and i was sold on the color... the 2008 comes in white..... who does that...? it's a foldie!! it will look nasty after a few days
I was wondering about the hinge in the 2008 models but i don't think it's gonna be so much of an issue... Although the 2008 locking mechanism looks sharper and newer
Old 08-03-08, 11:13 PM

Bikes: Dahon '08 Mu P8, Litespeed Arenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my 2008 Mu P8 for almost a month and have put about 125 miles on it. So far it seems like a pretty solid bike. I haven't noticed any flex in the handlebars, but I did just tighten all of the hinges as they were starting to get a tad loose. However, I think that's to be expected after 100+ miles. I would have also preferred the 2007 color, but it doesn't get that dirty, definitely not as bad as having a white car.

The 2008 saddle seems ok, but I've never rode the 2007 one so I can't really compare. The longest distance I've rode at once was close to 20 miles. It was ok, but I think if I wanted to do 30+, a nicer saddle and some bar ends would definitely make the ride more comfortable. Of course, the road surface is a factor for comfort as well. The grips worked pretty well too. I also rode wearing normal shorts (bike shorts are coming this week), so that probably played a factor in the level of comfort as well.
Old 08-04-08, 10:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!!

Thanks for sharing your riding experience on the Mu, i hope you enjoy it.... it seems like you really ride a lot

Before making my decision i have tried the Speed P8 - nice bike but it was just too heavy and bulky to carry, the Curve D3- also a nice ride but 3 speeds in Toronto wasn't enough for me and the Mu P8 felt pretty good, so i hope to pick it up in the next few days or so.
Old 08-04-08, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
I enjoy my 2007 Mu P8 but I have never used the factory original folding pedals. In a couple of forums I had read that they don't last very long.

Before taking delivery, I had the bike shop replace them with MKS EZY MT-E pedals and add Power Grips to them.

My only other point of feedback would be that I've had poor luck with the front hub cartridge bearings.
Old 08-04-08, 08:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flexible handle post or handlebar

Have you noticed the handle post being too flexible ? I have read somewhere that it is noticeable but it is not too bad. For 2008 the handle post seems to be thicker... the handle bar seems ok i guess as i am not a heavy rider.

Last edited by Tommy C; 08-05-08 at 01:12 AM.