Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

new to sol cal, looking for advice

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm Rob. I just recently became interested in road biking and have been fervently searching for a bike that would be right for me. I live in Garden Grove California so if anybody else is from around this area and wants to give me some leg up on riding or anything let me know. Right now I just really want to find the right bike. I am 215 pounds, I was body building for a while so I am looking forward to the cardio and the slim down that the sport will give me. Also looking to save my gas money ;p aren't we all. I am looking to make riding a daily part of my life and my number one form of transportation when I am not driving my wife and daughter somewhere.

I just moved to Cali 2 months ago from Pennsylvania so my wife could be near her family. I look forward to finding a riding partner. The bikes I am currently looking to are as follows. Of course any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would like to spend about 600 and down so haggling with have to suffice. I am completely ok with a used bike as long as it can hold up to a beating as I will be riding a lot. I would like something with a lot of speeds as I love strategy and deciding what speeds to use when appeals to me. I know the scott is a 24 spd.

SCOTT Speedster S60 $629.99

Iron Horse Triumph 5.0 $526.30
or
Iron Horse Victory 3.0 $607.50

By the way I was measured at an lbs and they said I should ride a 54cm. It was jaxbicycles, I think they are a big franchise so maybe some of you know them. They recommended the trek 2.1 but that is out of my price range and the components on the bikes I have mentioned seem to be of higher quality and half the price.

I would like to eventually do long rides, 50 miles+ as I love to travel and I love scenery. I look forward to riding all day with a group of people or a partner. Hope to find someone that will really push me to my limit. I also dream of doing a cross country ride someday.
Old 08-04-08, 10:26 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Welcome to BF So Cal Thread. Don't limit yourself here and also post on the road riding forum.

As to bikes and sizing... there is no set rule. Just know you may be a 54cm on one bike but a 56 or 52 on another. Bikes all have different geometry and measurements. For instance I am 5'8" and have 3 road bikes - a Lemond, a Leader and a custom. All sizes are different (51 cm, 54 cm and 52.5cm).

I don't know the bikes you are looking at. I can recommend some other shops to try such as RocknRoad in Irvine (off Sand Canyon and Irvine Blvd) and Surf City Cycles in HB. Also try Orange Cyclery near the Orange Circle. Bottom line, get a bike that fits and has fairly decent components. I would try not to go below Shimano Sora or better would be 105 or ultegra.

Once you get the bike... look up the Bicycle Club of Irvine [bikeirvine.org]. The first Saturday of each month they stage an intro to cycling/club ride.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

Edited to add: Most top end bikes now come with Shimano 10 - which means 30 speeds. My older bike is a 9 speed (27). If the bikes you are looking at have only 24 speeds, then it's low end componentry which you won't be able to upgrade. I would do alittle research about bikes and components before you buy.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-04-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 10:42 AM
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out craigslist.com for used bikes. Knowing your size will eliminate alot of the listings that will not suit your needs.

As far as sturdiness, just pick up a bike that is not rusty. Most wheels haave spoke counts of > 24 (front) and 32 (rear) which will hold your body easily. You can also check out the Clydesdale section of the forum for additional ideas and suggestions.

Otherwise, welcome to BF! now get out there and find a bike so that you can go riding!
Old 08-04-08, 10:52 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duh! I should of thought of posting in Clyde... actually a great place for you to look. Lots of new riders come in through the Clydesdale forum. Someone may have already looked at those bikes.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-04-08, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I might recommend against getting a triple as they're harder to learn to shift correctly. Instead, opt for a compact double. Don't worry about strategy in shifting,as this will soon become second-nature and you won't really think about it after awhile.

Since you list it as a 24-speed, that means 8 cogs in the back. This means it has 130mm spacing which allows for upgrading your gears later. However, it would not be recommended as it would be more than the bike is worth.
Old 08-04-08, 11:28 AM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fan of that Scott. I believe the current generation Speedsters share the same aluminum frame from low to high end.
Old 08-04-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Scott's and if I did get one I would opt for the s40 I think. But I just found this bike on craigslist and like what I see. I believe it is full shimano 105 and it would fit me. Here is the info and pictures.

53cm Specialized Allez Elite - $800

I purchased this bike from Shickluna Bikes in Sept of 2003 for over $1350. I wanted to get into road biking for the exercise and for something new. It ends up i have less than 200 miles on the bike. I always found myself back on the trails or doing some other sport. After collecting dust i think it's time to find a new owner. Last spring i upgraded the seat, stem, and added the reclined riding bar. All together i've invested over $1700 on this brand new bike. It's a steal at $800. I have the receipt and owners manual that will go with the bike. don't miss this opportunity....

here's what Specialized has to say about the Elite

Racing, fast riding, fun riding or touring, the Allez Elite is a high-test jack-of-all-trades. Choose from seven standard frame sizes and partner up with the Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain. Like the rest of our Allez family, the Elite has racing-inspired compact geometry for better comfort, better handling and greater pedaling efficiency. Speaking of efficiency, the Elite's fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum tubing, high-modulus carbon fiber fork, Ritchey bar and stem and Cr-Mo railed Body Geometry saddle each do their part to ensure maximum return on your energy output.

A1-XX Premium Aluminum fully butted frame with compact geometry for better handling, more standover clearance and improved power transfer

Specialized C-2 high modulus carbon fork with 7075 alloy steerer

Ritchey Aero Comp wheels are light, strong and aerodynamic

Available as frameset-only in select markets.

A1-XX Premium Aluminum fully butted frame with compact geometry for better handling, more standover clearance and improved power transfer

Specialized C-2 high modulus carbon fork with 7075 alloy steerer

FRAME A1 - XX Premium Aluminum, fully double butted, compact geometry frame
FRONT FORK Specialized C-2 bonded high modulus carbon fiber, w/ 1 1/8" 7075 alloy threadless steerer
HEADSET Ritchey Logic Comp AheadSet, 1-1/8" with alloy cups and cap
STEM Ritchey Pro Threadless, 17 degree rise, black
HANDLEBARS Ritchey Logic Comp, butted 6061
TAPE / GRIPS 3T Cork Ribbon
FRONT BRAKE Shimano 105 w/MC shoes
REAR BRAKE Shimano 105 w/MC shoes
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano 105 w/STI
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 31.8 Clamp, Double / Triple
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105 Short Cage (Double)/ Long Cage (Triple)
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105 STI (Flight Deck Compatible)
CASSETTE Shimano HG70, 12x25, 9-speed
CHAIN Shimano HG-73, 9-speed
CRANKSET Shimano 105, HollowTech splined (OctaLink)
CHAINRINGS 53Ax39A (Double) 52Ax42Ax30A (Triple)
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano 105, splined Octalink, pipe billet, 68 x 109.5 double, 68 x 118.5 triple
PEDALS n/a
RIMS Ritchey Pro Aero, 28h, w/ CNC sidewalls
FRONT HUB Ritchey Comp, 28h, sealed, w/alloy quick release
REAR HUB Ritchey Comp 28 hole, sealed, w/alloy quick release
SPOKES Ritchey 14GA, stainless bladed, w/brass nipples, radial front/ 2x rear
FRONT TIRE Specialized Turbo S-Works, 700 x 23C, aramid bead
REAR TIRE Specialized Turbo S-Works, 700 x 23C, aramid bead
TUBES Specialized Turbo Ultra Light, presta valve
SADDLE Specialized Pro w/Body Geometry Technology & tubular Cr-Mo rails (OEM)
SEAT POST Ritchey Pro 2014, 3D Forged alloy, 27.2x350mm
SEAT BINDER Cr-Mo binder bolt, forged alloy collar, 31.8 ID, black
NOTES Chain stay protector, reflectors, owners manual

Old 08-04-08, 02:50 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BCIpam

If the bikes you are looking at have only 24 speeds, then it's low end componentry which you won't be able to upgrade.
Why?
Old 08-04-08, 03:05 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because it would cost too much money (more than the bike is worth at that point) to adapt the rear stay (derailleur, chain etc) to accomodate a 8 speed cassette to a 9 or 10. It can be done but usually not with great results. But I am no mechanic so defer to someone with more expertise.

Old 08-04-08, 05:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh! I thought you said "won't be able to". I have an 8 speed that I upgraded to 9 speed DA, works great. And if it takes 9 speed, it will take 10 as they are all the same spacing in the rear.

But yes, Mark is correct, it will not be cost effective in the long run. Unless he finds a good 8 speed on CL or Ebay worth upgrading.
Old 08-04-08, 05:10 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry - nothing is impossible. It's more improbable and impractical.

Old 08-04-08, 05:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
True! Just don't confuse the guy! When I was a noob, I thought you had to throw the bike away if the front derailleur malfunctioned!
Old 08-04-08, 06:02 PM
Super Senior Member

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Peugeot Monaco; 1985 Peugeot PH501

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rtay7lor07

I just moved to Cali 2 months ago from Pennsylvania so my wife could be near her family.
'Welcome' from a fellow PA transplant (Kutztown). You're going to love it out here. BF is a great resource, and the SoCal forum is super-friendly. Get yourself a used bike off craigslist and ride the hell out of it. Don't pay more than $500 (completely baseless generalization).
Old 08-04-08, 06:23 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
True! Just don't confuse the guy! When I was a noob, I thought you had to throw the bike away if the front derailleur malfunctioned!
Sorry I tend to not pull punches. It just doesn't make sense to try and upgrade an inexpensive bike. That said I upgraded my old touring bike (now donated to charity). The bike was probably worth $250 and I paid almost $600 for the upgrades (realizing afterwards that was foolish). If I bought new wheels would have been another $1000. So my take is buy as much bike as possible. Used is probably better than new.

Old 08-04-08, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok as bad as this sounds I am going to save my money for a few months and buy, dare i say it, a fezzari. Yes I know they aren't the most popular of dealers but I have ridden two of their mountain bikes and found them more than enjoyable. They used to sell through costco stores and yes that is weird and makes it sound like a typical walmart based company but they have stopped now. their bikes are nice and I have never ridden a road bike but I have been doing a lot of research and the bike they are offering, the fore cr2 seems to be an amazing deal. It is a full carbon bike with all around shimano ultegra for 1499. Can any other bike beat that price for those components and full carbon. Here is the specs.

Frameset
Frame:
Fezzari® Racing Design Xr3 Full Carbon Alloy Frame (all tubing is carbon and the joints are aluminum for maximum durability and performance)
Fork:
Fezzari Racing Design XrS Carbon with Road-Damping Technology, bonded carbon legs, Ultra alloy threadless steerer
Rear Shock:
N/A
Sizes:
50, 53, 55, 58, 61
Headset:
Orbit® IS Carbon 1 1/8” integrated threadless, with triple sealed cartridge bearings, with carbon cone & headset spacers
Drivetrain
Shifters:
Shimano Ultegra Dual Control with STI precision, Comfortable Anatomic design, Flight Deck Compatible
Front Derailleur:
Shimano Ultegra, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull with extra-wide pivot link for improved shifting response
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Ultegra, short cage (20-speed)
Cassette:
Shimano Ultegra, 12x27t, 10 gears
Crank:
FSA® Gossamer Megaexo crank arms (50/53:170mm, 55:172.5mm, 58/61:175mm)
Chainrings:
FSA Gossamer Megaexo 50/34T precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings, ramped and pinned for perfect shifting (it also comes with an optional 50/36T setup)
Bottom Bracket:
FSA Gossamer Megaexo with oversize external cartridge bearings (integrated); alloy bearing cups
Chain:
Shimano Ultegra
Cockpit
Handlebars:
Fezzari Racing Design Alloy, 31.8mm x 420 mm (other sizes available in custom setup)
Stem:
Fezzari 3D forged 6061 alloy, 10 degree, 4-bolt bar clamp (optional carbon stem) (other sizes available in custom setup)
Tape/Grips:
Fezzari FLT-006 with cork ribbon, black
Saddle:
Fezzari Racing Design R1 / Titanium rails
Seat Post:
Fezzari Racing Design XrT 3K Carbon
Pedals:
Available Separately
Wheels
Rims:
Shimano WH-RS10, 700c
Hubs:
Front Hub: Shimano WH-RS10, 16-spokes, sealed bearing, alloy Quick Release. Rear Hub: Shimano WH-RS10, 20-spokes, sealed bearing, alloy Quick Release
Spokes:
Shimano WH-RS10, bladed
Tires:
Front Tire: Maxxis® Xenith Hors Categorie M-201, 700 x 23c, race tire. Rear Tire: Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie M-201, 700 x 23c, race tire
Tubes:
Fezzari Performance Road Tubes
Brakes
Brakes:
Shimano® Ultegra, Super SLR dual-pivot action, with Shimano Ultegra Compact Cartridge brake shoes
Brake Levers:
Shimano Ultegra Dual Control with STI precision, Comfortable Anatomic Design, Flight Deck Compatible
Old 08-04-08, 11:35 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok as bad as this sounds I am going to save my money for a few months and buy, dare i say it, a fezzari. Yes I know they aren't the most popular of dealers but I have ridden two of their mountain bikes and found them more than enjoyable. They used to sell through costco stores and yes that is weird and makes it sound like a typical walmart based company but they have stopped now. their bikes are nice and I have never ridden a road bike but I have been doing a lot of research and the bike they are offering, the fore cr2 seems to be an amazing deal. It is a full carbon bike with all around shimano ultegra for 1499. Can any other bike beat that price for those components and full carbon. Here is the specs.

Frameset
Frame:
Fezzari® Racing Design Xr3 Full Carbon Alloy Frame (all tubing is carbon and the joints are aluminum for maximum durability and performance)
Fork:
Fezzari Racing Design XrS Carbon with Road-Damping Technology, bonded carbon legs, Ultra alloy threadless steerer
Rear Shock:
N/A
Sizes:
50, 53, 55, 58, 61
Headset:
Orbit® IS Carbon 1 1/8” integrated threadless, with triple sealed cartridge bearings, with carbon cone & headset spacers
Drivetrain
Shifters:
Shimano Ultegra Dual Control with STI precision, Comfortable Anatomic design, Flight Deck Compatible
Front Derailleur:
Shimano Ultegra, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull with extra-wide pivot link for improved shifting response
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Ultegra, short cage (20-speed)
Cassette:
Shimano Ultegra, 12x27t, 10 gears
Crank:
FSA® Gossamer Megaexo crank arms (50/53:170mm, 55:172.5mm, 58/61:175mm)
Chainrings:
FSA Gossamer Megaexo 50/34T precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings, ramped and pinned for perfect shifting (it also comes with an optional 50/36T setup)
Bottom Bracket:
FSA Gossamer Megaexo with oversize external cartridge bearings (integrated); alloy bearing cups
Chain:
Shimano Ultegra
Cockpit
Handlebars:
Fezzari Racing Design Alloy, 31.8mm x 420 mm (other sizes available in custom setup)
Stem:
Fezzari 3D forged 6061 alloy, 10 degree, 4-bolt bar clamp (optional carbon stem) (other sizes available in custom setup)
Tape/Grips:
Fezzari FLT-006 with cork ribbon, black
Saddle:
Fezzari Racing Design R1 / Titanium rails
Seat Post:
Fezzari Racing Design XrT 3K Carbon
Pedals:
Available Separately
Wheels
Rims:
Shimano WH-RS10, 700c
Hubs:
Front Hub: Shimano WH-RS10, 16-spokes, sealed bearing, alloy Quick Release. Rear Hub: Shimano WH-RS10, 20-spokes, sealed bearing, alloy Quick Release
Spokes:
Shimano WH-RS10, bladed
Tires:
Front Tire: Maxxis® Xenith Hors Categorie M-201, 700 x 23c, race tire. Rear Tire: Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie M-201, 700 x 23c, race tire
Tubes:
Fezzari Performance Road Tubes
Brakes
Brakes:
Shimano® Ultegra, Super SLR dual-pivot action, with Shimano Ultegra Compact Cartridge brake shoes
Brake Levers:
Shimano Ultegra Dual Control with STI precision, Comfortable Anatomic Design, Flight Deck Compatible
You can get a Fuji Team Pro with comparable/better parts on a full carbon frame at Performance for around that price. Actually, with all the upcoming end of season sales, you should be able to get that price for many manufacturer's comparable bikes.
Old 08-05-08, 12:37 AM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait a second - you were looking at $5-600 bikes, but now are sold on a $1,500 one?
Old 08-05-08, 05:14 AM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ok as bad as this sounds I am going to save my money for a few months
Changed his mind...
Old 08-05-08, 10:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was talking to a few people and I visited a few lbs and it just seemed better to save. I don't want to start riding for 6 months and decide that I want to upgrade, it will feel better just to have something good to start with and keep with for a longer period of time. Can you tell me more about the end of season sales? Your saying most of the mid-high ends will go on sale? On the performance bike website?

I'm a noob admittedly so you'll have to bare with me, I change my mind a lot. Do you guys think I should wait and buy a high end bike or just grab a used one for cheap and ride a few months then upgrade?

Are you saying like in march? Like this thread from 07

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/281259-fuji-full-carbon-performance-bicycle.html

"You might think I'm crazy I tend to get my mind on something and it stays there, and right now its in road bikes ;p"

Last edited by rtay7lor07; 08-05-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 11:36 AM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I was talking to a few people and I visited a few lbs and it just seemed better to save. I don't want to start riding for 6 months and decide that I want to upgrade, it will feel better just to have something good to start with and keep with for a longer period of time. Can you tell me more about the end of season sales? Your saying most of the mid-high ends will go on sale? On the performance bike website?

I'm a noob admittedly so you'll have to bare with me, I change my mind a lot. Do you guys think I should wait and buy a high end bike or just grab a used one for cheap and ride a few months then upgrade?

Are you saying like in march? Like this thread from 07

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=281259

"You might think I'm crazy I tend to get my mind on something and it stays there, and right now its in road bikes ;p"
This is the decision we all faced at one time: spend only a little 'cause we may not like the sport, but if we do, we'll want to upgrade, but we already wasted $xxx on the cheap stuff. Welcome to the "club"

I wouldn't exactly call Performance bikes "high end", although they're not bad from what I see/hear.

Maybe the best thing, since you "change your mind alot" is to try cycling with a club ride--borrow somebody's bike or rent one for this. Then, you'll know better. It'd be a shame to spend $1500 and change your mind and not like the sport.
Old 08-05-08, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea your right, I am positive I will like the sport, I love to ride, mtb, bmx, anything, I just haven't had the opportunity to ride a road bike, I don't know anybody who has one and since I am new to cali, I know nobody here. Truth be told its lonely lol. Moved here for the wife and hoping to find others I can click with through riding. I will probably go out and rent a bike for a day and see how I feel about it, but I am positive I will enjoy myself. I may sound noob saying this but I really want to ride from here to the other coast after I have ridden for a while.
Old 08-05-08, 12:43 PM
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the rent/borrow a road bike to try it out on some local rides. Look around here or on CICLE.com, Bikeboom.com, or Midnightridazz.com for ride calendars. If you can make it, also try riding on our folding bike ride on Aug 31 (see sig).
Old 08-05-08, 05:58 PM
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just moved to Cali 2 months ago from Pennsylvania
What are you doing on this forum if you live in Colombia?
Old 08-05-08, 06:22 PM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
What are you doing on this forum if you live in Colombia?
Good point - now that you're a local - don't ever call it that. (Same reason people in the bay area don't call it "Frisco.")
Old 08-06-08, 08:31 AM
Getting A Pedicure

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, you now live in either LA, greater Los Angeles, Orange County, SoCal or Southern California. But you most definitely do not live in Cali. Ick! Ick! Ick!

Are there any OC natives that call it "The OC"? I've lived in Orange County most of my life and don't think I've ever once referred to it as "The OC". Stupid ass Fox show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.