Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Another sign of the rise of the Bicycle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 08:30 PM
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was in the LBS today to order my Surly Long Haul Trucker, I was concerned about the bicycle availability since it is popular and i know that Stores have been having a problem keeping things in stock. Good news bike was in stock. Bad news, the jannd Extreme racks i wanted were not, neither were most other racks! we kept hopping around on the Quality Bike site trying to find a set of racks that would look good together, were in stock and didn't cost as much as the Surly Nice Racks! Finally ended up with Axion racks, the bike shop owner says they have been running into shortages of things they never did before like racks and fenders being sold out. Kinda made the bike buildout session a little more complicated than I planned, on the other hand it's good to see bikes gaining popularity.
Old 08-05-08, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wonderful! I had the opposite experience this weekend but leading to the same thing. My LBS never carried much in the way of commuting our touring gear. Well, this weekend they had a bunch of racks and panniers on the wall, along with a better fender selection. My LBS is kinda small and they only order stuff they need. There must have been a lot of requests for this stuff.
Old 08-05-08, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at Riverside on Shiawassee in Lansing recently, and found that a bunch of stuff they normally carry they were short of stock.

I was at Eric's on South Logan in Lansing, as well, and I found they were pretty well-stocked.

I just figured, if you were in Mid-Michigan, these might be local to you. Good luck.

It is nice to see that cycling for more than sport is becoming so popular that the shops are busy and selling their stock. I've noticed a difference between this summer and last. Last summer, whenever I walked into a shop, they weren't that busy. Now, there's a a lot of activity.
Old 08-05-08, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that bicycling is on the uptick. The LBS is half out of bikes regularly.

Anyone know companies that are publically traded that benefit from more cycling?
Old 08-05-08, 11:25 AM
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keiththesnake
I was at Riverside on Shiawassee in Lansing recently, and found that a bunch of stuff they normally carry they were short of stock.

I was at Eric's on South Logan in Lansing, as well, and I found they were pretty well-stocked.

I just figured, if you were in Mid-Michigan, these might be local to you. Good luck.

It is nice to see that cycling for more than sport is becoming so popular that the shops are busy and selling their stock. I've noticed a difference between this summer and last. Last summer, whenever I walked into a shop, they weren't that busy. Now, there's a a lot of activity.
Sorry north of you in Saginaw, thanks though. I was able to find some racks I liked (Axion) and the shop gave me what I considered a "killer deal".

Surly LHT full bike, SKS Fenders, Front and Rear Axion touring racks $1019 plus tax.
Old 08-05-08, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim
Sorry north of you in Saginaw, thanks though. I was able to find some racks I liked (Axion) and the shop gave me what I considered a "killer deal".

Surly LHT full bike, SKS Fenders, Front and Rear Axion touring racks $1019 plus tax.
Yep, I'll give that a "killer deal"too!
Old 08-05-08, 11:44 AM
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
I agree that bicycling is on the uptick. The LBS is half out of bikes regularly.

Anyone know companies that are publically traded that benefit from more cycling?
There ain't much to choose from. Here's a place to start:
https://michaelbluejay.com/sri/bicycles.html

You can navigate Yahoo Finance by industry, but I don't find much there. Let me know if you do!
Old 08-05-08, 02:42 PM
Professional Genious

Bikes: 1999ish Giant Rincon, 2004 Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2000 sienna and a 2006 accord. I have both for the family and weather days. My wife stays home, so she doesn't commute at all. I drive the the bus stop one day a week at the most. My wife and I still go out for fun a lot, so we use the car for that, and the van is great for trips.

why do you ask?
Old 08-05-08, 04:46 PM
Out

Bikes: two-wheelers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, Bikes are popular. That's good.

Bikes were here before cars, and will be here after cars.

The bicycle is a perfect invention. It's like rock and roll. Once you hear it you feel like it's been here forever.

It'll never die (rock and roll), and neither will the bike. 500 years from now the bike will still be in use. Imagine getting to 20mph easily on a flat surface with little effort.

It needs no fuel, doesn't eat or poop, and has cheap parts that are easy to replace.