Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC missing link connector

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am trying to install a KMC chain with a 'missing link' connector. This one has both pins attached to one side plate and the other side of it is an oval shaped connector that is supposed to somehow slide onto the pins on the other side. It does not seem to me that the oval connector is long enough to slide on and over the pins. What's the trick ???? I have used the ones where there is one pin on each side plate and you squeeze them together to release, this one is definitely different.

Old 08-06-08, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
^^^^ It does fit but it can be tricky.
Old 08-06-08, 12:03 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The face of the connector shown in the pic above should be facing outward.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-06-08, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Here is how I did it. Put the plate with the two attached pins through the two ends of the chain. On the loose flat plate side of the “missing link,” note that there is a slightly wider part of the slot that is big enough for a pin to go through. Next take the flat piece of the “missing link” and put it over one of the pins on the part of the missing link that you have used to join the chain. Then slide the flat plate all the way down the slot so that the pin you put through is on the opposite end of the slot part that is enlarged. Grasp the chain and slightly bend the “missing link” so the ends of its pins move slightly closer to each other. Move the slotted plate so the other pin goes through the enlarged portion of the slot. Finally, grab the chain and bend it back the other way so the two pins of the “missing link” are at the extreme ends of the slot.
Old 08-06-08, 06:43 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaWK4
I am trying to install a KMC chain with a 'missing link' connector. This one has both pins attached to one side plate and the other side of it is an oval shaped connector that is supposed to somehow slide onto the pins on the other side. It does not seem to me that the oval connector is long enough to slide on and over the pins. What's the trick ???? I have used the ones where there is one pin on each side plate and you squeeze them together to release, this one is definitely different.

Don't bother using that shyte. Just connect the chain normally. I'm guessing it's a SS/fixed 1/8 chain?
Old 08-06-08, 07:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That connector works awesome.
Old 08-06-08, 08:59 PM

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a SS -this is going on an 86 Paramount with a 6 speed freewheel. The 'trick' appears to be that my side plate with the two pins is bent so the pins angle out slightly. I have not tried to straighten it out but certainly seems to be the reason it doesn't fit.
Old 08-06-08, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaWK4
Not a SS -this is going on an 86 Paramount with a 6 speed freewheel. The 'trick' appears to be that my side plate with the two pins is bent so the pins angle out slightly. I have not tried to straighten it out but certainly seems to be the reason it doesn't fit.

That's intentional. You put in one pin through the hole in the oval, slide and then rotate the oval so that the hole in the oval lines up near the other pin, and then bend the opposite direction (bring the pins closer together) to get it to snap in place. Once you let go the spring in the pin-plate spreads them again and you're gold.
Old 08-08-08, 12:36 PM

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
+1, You said it before I saw the post! These are good connectors!