Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another ferrule question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Another ferrule question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another ferrule question

I am doing my first build (Dura-Ace on a Seven) and, using documentation available on the web as well as the good advice on this forum, I've been doing OK.
But now, my first snag, thankfully a minor one. The ferrules provided with the DA brake cable kit do not fit into the tops of the barrel adjusters. Should I be using ferrules there at all? Looking at other bikes, it appears that they have (typically plastic) ferrules that do fit snugly into the chamber of the barrel adjuster.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-08, 07:14 AM
black betty

Bikes: custom flatlandbike, trek fuel ex8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just get some plastic ones
Old 08-07-08, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadSailor
just get some plastic ones
That's what came with the DA cable kit and they don't fit. They do fit the cable guides.
Old 08-07-08, 11:34 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos of the whole kit would help. Do the ferrules not fit because their diameter is too large? Do they not fit because they have a short narrow sleeve sticking out the end?
Old 08-07-08, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondoman
Photos of the whole kit would help. Do the ferrules not fit because their diameter is too large? Do they not fit because they have a short narrow sleeve sticking out the end?
They don't fit because their diameter is too large. Photo is of the metal ferrule but the plastic ones provided have the same diameter. The ferrule is butted against the barrel adjuster, not inside at all. Really looks as though it's intended for the housing without the ferrule.
I have a feeling I'm going to feel lame when I get the answer. Thanks!
Old 08-07-08, 12:42 PM

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always skipped the ferrules on these. I've had the ferrule seize to the barrel adjuster before, but the housing won't (it's nylon...). Not sure if there are issues with this but my bike is OK for the last four years *knock*
Old 08-07-08, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive seen some cable kits come with a ferrules that have a stepdown to fit into the barrel adjusters, if it didnt have them just run it without a ferrule. it'll be fine.

btw, nice choice with your bike. I love me my ti frame (lightspeed), rides amazing so i cant even imagine a seven
Old 08-07-08, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nubcake
ive seen some cable kits come with a ferrules that have a stepdown to fit into the barrel adjusters, if it didnt have them just run it without a ferrule. it'll be fine.

btw, nice choice with your bike. I love me my ti frame (lightspeed), rides amazing so i cant even imagine a seven
Thanks so much. I'll dump the ferrules on the barrel adjusters. And then the most daunting part, the shifter cables/derailler set-up.
I have a 1999 Litespeed Tuscany and I can't imagine anything riding any better. But the ti ride inspired me to try this, so we'll see.
Old 08-07-08, 04:35 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like having the ferrules in that location. There's a tendency for the SIS housing (with parallel strands) to mushroom at the tip without them. That said, it would stand to reason that the ferrules provided would fit. Are you sure you didn't accidentally pop a brake cable ferrule on there? I've done it many times.
Old 08-07-08, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you look at the pic he was talking about the brakes. I missed that part until i saw the photo but was thinking the same at first.

ive quit lusting after those light carbon bikes after getting my lightspeed...im all about metal bikes now, good luck with the project and let us know how she rides
Old 08-07-08, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I see that you crimped the ferrules. You may have distorted the end just enough that it won't fit now. Try a new cap in there without any crimping. See if that fits. They should fit with just a little slop. Since even a careful crimp will make them sticky at this point don't crimp them. Just slip them on. Even slipped on the ferrule will supply the support needed for the strands under the plastic covering. And with the cable in there and the whole system done up it won't let the housing jump out.

I stopped crimping my ferrules long ago just for this reason.
Old 08-07-08, 07:08 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I see that you crimped the ferrules. You may have distorted the end just enough that it won't fit now. Try a new cap in there without any crimping. See if that fits. They should fit with just a little slop. Since even a careful crimp will make them sticky at this point don't crimp them. Just slip them on. Even slipped on the ferrule will supply the support needed for the strands under the plastic covering. And with the cable in there and the whole system done up it won't let the housing jump out.

I stopped crimping my ferrules long ago just for this reason.
+1 on not crimping the ferrules. But, compatibility is not a given.

I also want to emphasize that the brakes should have better and firmer feel with the ferrules, and with the housing ends files flat before ferrules are added. This combination butts the outer cable firmly to the brake caliper, so all cable motion is imparted to the caliper, and not taken up in compressing or distorting the housing. I feel this is important.

So I'm in favor of finding a ferrule that fits your brake. Could it be that several Shimano levels of brake require different housing diameters? Is DuraAce unique?

I have some Modolo cables, whose ferrules do not fit into Campy levers or calipers.

Road Fan
Old 08-08-08, 04:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your help!
The crimped ferrule in the pic was one I had on a used brake cable that I tried after the plastic ones furnished with the DA package wouldn't fit. I understand the point about crimping but don't think it's the issue here. Both metal and plastic ferrules are significantly too large in diameter. I have them set up now without ferrules but will keep my eyes open for some stepped down ones. They're working OK for now.
Old 08-08-08, 06:41 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Ferrules don't need to be crimped
Old 08-08-08, 06:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GEEZ guys. DA brake adjusters don't use ferrules! Just stick the end of the cable in and call it good! the ferrules are in the cable kit in case you need them for some frame applications.