Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Second thoughts about my recently ordered singlespeed...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few days back I ordered a Scattante Americano from Performance. The price was attractive ($299 with shipping to store and tax), as was the shop build, and lifetime adjustments. Now I am starting to think I won't be pleased with it and should have waited to see what else becomes available over the next two months. I know BD has some new offerings on the way (Kilo TT, Phantom Uno).

The bike is on back order until the middle of August, so I believe I should be able to cancel the order if need be. Should I reconsider? I am looking for an affordable single speed (sub $400) that I can rely on and enjoy riding on a regular basis. I almost feel I should scoop up an older road bike and convert it myself - I'd learn more. I just swapped the fork and removed the front derailleur on my Gary Fisher Mtn Bike and learned more in 3 hours than I had in the previous 5 years of ownership.
Old 08-07-08, 06:35 AM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get a chance to try one out in person, or was this an internet order? It looks to me about the same as the BD offerings. If you got to try it out in person and liked it, you might as well stick with it.
Old 08-07-08, 06:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't get to try one out unfortunately. I am away from home (have been for 5 months), but will be returning next week - which is why it is being shipped to the local store. Where I am currently, there is no store anywhere close by.

Yes, from the limited information/reviews, it seems to be on par with the BD offerings. It has decent frame (although ugly decals), nice (although heavy) wheels, crappy tires, crappy seat - but you get what you pay for. I thought about a new build, Jamis Sputnik or even an IRO build, but I can't get myself to spend $600-900 on a single speed/fixed gear bike. At that point, I'd rather spend $1000 or more on a 105 equipped road bike.
Old 08-07-08, 07:18 AM
Ketchup

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
You'd end up spending more on a conversion, most likely. It seems like a decent bike for the money if you're looking for "an affordable single speed". You could probably flip it on craigslist for what you paid (or just a little less) if you don't like it.
Old 08-07-08, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're shopping at performance they also carry the Scwhinn Madison and that's IMO a much better bike.
Old 08-07-08, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Middy. I am looking for an affordable single speed. Ideally, I'd like a road bike, but that is not going to happen any time soon. Spending $300 or so on a decent single speed is more realistic.

I guess you're right, if I don't like it, I could always sell it. I'm not sure why I am over thinking this.

Originally Posted by middy
You'd end up spending more on a conversion, most likely. It seems like a decent bike for the money if you're looking for "an affordable single speed". You could probably flip it on craigslist for what you paid (or just a little less) if you don't like it.
Old 08-07-08, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of the Madison, and from what I have read, it seems like a great bike. However, that is more like $500 and about $150 over what I want to spend at this time.

Originally Posted by Thetank
If you're shopping at performance they also carry the Scwhinn Madison and that's IMO a much better bike.