Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Recovery after cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 02:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Road Bike, Raliegh Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recovery after cycling

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum but would say I fit into the Clydesdales, category being 6'2" and 235 lbs. I live in a fairly hilly area in Virginia and ride approximately 50-60 miles per week, longer rides on the weekends and just under 10 miles a day at lunch. I seem to have a problem with recovery particularly in my Quads, there are some days, where I just feel sluggish and going up hills is a torture. Is this something that seems to be particular to us large folks?
Old 08-07-08, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe need to get more fuel to them muscles
Old 08-07-08, 03:02 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekLemond
Maybe need to get more fuel to them muscles
+1 Also, hydration is critical. Start well hydrated and drink regularly. Aside from that, some days I feel like I'm really pushing myself to get in 5 - 10 miles while other days I feel fresh after 35.
Old 08-07-08, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydrate well for sure. I drink a liter of water before and after 30+ mile rides; 2-4 times a week.

Also, post-ride nutrition is important. Google post ride recovery and search the forums here. I searched the BF forums for post ride recovery and got lots, here's one:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...very+ride+post

Personally, there are two crucial things that I do after rides and I almost never have any leg pains, at least not ones that affect my riding.

1) Beer shower.
2) Stretch well.

I stretch (hamstrings, quads, calves, neck, arms, back) immediately after rides, on my front porch while taking off equipment and finishing any remaining water from my two 12 oz bottles. Then I take a cold shower; while in the shower I drink a beer, the heavier the better if I plan to have only one. I also stretch again, lightly, and massage my hams and calves. I also eat a morning star griller prime, if I have them stocked, for the protein and to quench any hunger.
Old 08-07-08, 08:26 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Make sure your riding with a cadence of 90rpms+ (60-70+ on the hills) and after a hard day, ride an easy one (flat, 20-40 mins) to "spin-out" the fatigue from your legs.
Old 08-07-08, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also find that what I eat after the ride has a major impact on recovery. I always feel better after a bunch of pasta with some protein thrown in. Tonight was noodles with some (as in 1/2 pound for 2 adults and 3 kids) chicken and broccoli.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-07-08, 09:12 PM
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the hills of Southern Illinois. I know that might sound strange to some just north of I64, but its hilly down here.

Your rides sound alot like mine. I had/have knee pain in my right knee. The Dr/PA are cyclists and gave me a few tips. Alothough not ment as medical advise, for you, I believe they may help, and at the least not hurt.

1) Get straps for your feet. I got a set of cages at Dick's, about $40. They helped me use my hamstring (the back of the thigh) more and not over power the quads.

2)Stretch like hell! I do before, during at rest stops, after, before bed. You get the picture.

3)Bananas are your friend. I eat two or three a day. And they join me on rides as well.

4)Water, water, and water. Hydrate!

5) Find some flat land. I don't ride my hill route back to back to the gym anymore. I found a less hilly route about three miles away. Keeps me from overworking my quads.

Hills are great for building strength and muscle. And, they are hard to avoid in some areas. Even on shorter trips, like under 15 miles, they can wear you out till you get some down time. Like it was said before, try taking some lighter days before and after your hilly days. Give them legs some rest.

Jerry