Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Axle length in fork dropout

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the process of a new build using some parts from my older steel road bike and moving them onto a new aluminum frame/carbon fork. The frame spacing is the same (130mm), however, when I place the wheel into the new carbon fork dropout the axle only extends about halfway through due to the dropouts of the carbon fork being wider (see photo) https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/...7a750311_o.jpg Even though the wheels are circa 1983 they've been bulletproof so I'd rather not get new wheels or have to rebuild them provided there isn't a safety concern. Will I be safe with this setup? Is this normal or do newer hubs have longer axles to accommodate the thicker dropouts on new forks? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 08-08-08, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a problem. All forks are the same spacing so all front axles are the same. as for the rear, you'll often see that the actual axle doesn't extend all the way. just make sure your skewer is properly tightened and you'll be fine.
Old 08-08-08, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is that skewer straight?
Old 08-08-08, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ean10775
..when I place the wheel into the ..dropout the axle only extends about halfway through due to the dropouts .. Will I be safe with this setup? ..
That's not a problem. Once assembled the load isn't carried by the axle/dropout interface, but rather by the dropout being clamped between the QR and the locknuts. In theory (and tested by Sheldon Brown) a wheel will work just fine (although cumbersome to align in the frame/fork) even with the axle ends sitting flush with the locknuts.
Old 08-08-08, 11:40 AM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't want the axle to protrude beyond the edge of the dropout. If it did, you wouldn't actually be locking your wheel in place with the QR. In other words, your situation is perfect.
Old 08-08-08, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt
Is that skewer straight?
Yes, the skewer is straight, its my photography that isn't. I was using a DSLR so the lens was too large to get a photo straight on and still focus with the macro lens.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.