Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Sunday 8/10 Tour de Baldy Double Whip

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 12:34 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Everest Challenge training ride

This is an Everest Challenge/Furnace Creek 508 training ride. This is not a social ride but it's also not a hammer fest. Come one come all. Being that this is a training ride on a the mountain you can always bail out or turn around and go back down the hill... Bring third bottle and/or whatever means you need to carry more than 2 standard 24 oz. bottles. Here is the proposed route do it all or part of it. I may be slow but I am steady all day, so bring plenty of nutrition.

Starting Pointand stationary SAG: Base of GMR mile marker 13.52

Starting Time: 5:30ish First Light

Estimated Gain 16,000

Estimated Mileage 104miles

Weather Forecast for Glendora https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-117.864&e=0

Weather Forecast for Mt Baldy https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-117.659&e=0

Route:

UP GMR
UP GRR
UP MT Baldy Ski Lifts

DOWN Baldy Rd
UP Baldy Rd
UP Mt Baldy Ski Lifts

Down GRR
Down GMR

UP GMR
Down Little GMR
UP Little GMR

DOWN GMR
UP GMR
Down GMR

Last edited by Vireo; 08-08-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 02:06 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Wow George,

That's a pretty brutal route, but I like the start time! Where is that mile marker in relation to Boulder Springs (the only traffic light street on GMR)? I'm riding AC with Vert. Bob on Sat. so this should make a fine Sunday ride.

I won't ride the whole thing, but probably the first half (hey, I rode 16,500 ft. last Sat. on the Mt. Shasta Dbl. Metric!).

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-08-08, 02:25 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Wow George,

That's a pretty brutal route, but I like the start time! Where is that mile marker in relation to Boulder Springs (the only traffic light street on GMR)? I'm riding AC with Vert. Bob on Sat. so this should make a fine Sunday ride.

I won't ride the whole thing, but probably the first half (hey, I rode 16,500 ft. last Sat. on the Mt. Shasta Dbl. Metric!).

Rick / OCRR
PM me for a phone number.

Mile Marker 13.52 is up the hill from the traffic signal but before the gate to GMR there is a nice shade tree where I will leave my car with a cooler in the trunk to SAG from.

VERY nice on MT Shasta.
Old 08-11-08, 03:30 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

done 110 miles 16,000

Rick I yelled out your name as I was ascending GMR for the last time and you were coming down on the very last turn before the long straight in the residential area. I guess you didn't hear me.
Old 08-11-08, 03:49 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi George,
Yes, I heard you and I yelled back "George!" but you probably didn't hear me . . .

Great day on GMR, but a motorcyclist crashed and they called in a helicopter to medi-vac him out.

The helicopter stirred up lots of dust too. Landed right in the middle of the GMR roadway.

Hope you missed all that! Photos on Rebel site in the Bits N Pieces section.

https://www.ocrebels.com/bits.htm#GMR

We just rode from Boulder Springs to The Village and back (no ski lifts this time!), but after AC on Sat. that was enough for me.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 08-12-08 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 04:44 PM
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it "Medevac?"

Anyway, I'm ordering doping controls for everyone who does that ride. Please report to the van at the top of each climb to submit samples.
Old 08-11-08, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Rick...I met "Yeti-Bob" up there as I was leaving the visitors center on Saturday. I can't remember the name of the guy he was with though. Nice fellows.

Wheels Rolling
Old 08-11-08, 04:50 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Hi George,
Yes, I heard you and I yelled back "George!" but you probably didn't hear me . . .

Great day on GMR, but a motorcyclist crashed and they called in a helicopter to medi-vac him out.

The helicopter stirred up lots of dust too. Landed right in the middle of the GMR roadway.

Hope you missed all that! Photos on Rebel site in the Bits N Pieces section.

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/GMRVa...t2008/pic3.htm

We just rode from Boulder Springs to The Village and back (no ski lifts this time!), but after AC on Sat. that was enough for me.

Rick / OCRR

That's funny I saw the helicopter while I was having lunch at my car. I mean timing is everything. I had just descended GMR and didn't see any crashes. Then I'm having lunch and I see the helicopter. I thought they were scouting for fires. By the time I climbed back up I missed all the action. I remember seeing the girls in the picture. The Seven (Kim?) with the deep section wheels and Cal Triple Crown jersey is also very distinguishable.
Old 08-11-08, 07:07 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Hey Rick...I met "Yeti-Bob" up there as I was leaving the visitors center on Saturday. I can't remember the name of the guy he was with though. Nice fellows.
Hi Brandy and George,

Yeah, all kinds of Rebels on GMR / GRR this Sunday. Brandy: Good to hear you met Yeti Bob. I introduced him to GMR a couple of years ago (or three, or four), and while I didn't see him, good to hear that you did! No guess as to who might have been riding with him but maybe I'll find out on the club ride Tues. evening.

Yes George, Linda Adams is the girl in the Triple Crown Jersey, and Kim Ziebell is the short Vietnamese woman with the Seven. They're both "King of the Mountains" winners (plus Kim is Triple Crown as well) too. I missed the helicopter because I was sent ahead to reserve cinnamon rolls (hey, somebody's got to do it!). So, as you say, it's a matter of timing. Good for Linda esp. since aircraft, and helicopters particularly, are a hobby with her.

Rick / OCRR