Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Would you tour on this frame (damage)?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 09:17 PM
Cascadian Nationalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have a Bridgestone RB-T that sometime before I owned it was involved in a frontal crash. It still rides fine, I use it for regular commuting and long weekend rides, and I've been on a short 4 day trip (fully loaded) on it as well. I'm concerned about the crash damage though, and what the long term prognosis would be. Looking at the pictures, would you go on an extended (months long) tour, or would you not risk frame failure at an inopportune time? Repairing the frame is more expensive than the bike is worth, so I'm not really inclined to go that way. I really love this bike, but I don't want to set out on the trip of a lifetime on a ticking time bomb either. The thing that looks like a crack in the closeup picture appears to just be a flash artifact on closer inspection, so disregard that part.

Last edited by Ashen; 08-11-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 11:13 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So what is the damage? I thought it was the crack. Or maybe a dent in the downtube. That would be mostly under tension. I wouldn't ride it on the trip of a lifetime, but then as a frame builder I wouldn't ride that bike new either.