Bike Touring in Djibouti (and Egypt)

Search
Notices
Africa Africa

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 04:19 PM
Biking to the Pits

Bikes: 1991 Rock 'n Road with two wheel sets, 1980 Univega Viva Sport with TA triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, Bike Forum Folk,

Interested in what it's like to pedal through Djibouti? it's a midget republic unhappily sandwiched between Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia. I couldn't find it on a map before I made up my mind to cycle to the lowest point on six continents, and Djibouti holds the lowest point in Africa: Lac Assal, 505 feet below sea level. I expected the worst from Djibouti, but found something entirely different, and heartily recommend the country for a cyclist looking for a place few bother to visit. If you'd like to take a peek at what Djibouti looks like, check out the website for my new Sierra Club book, www.IntoThickAir.com, and click on the link to the Flickr.

I've photos from my trip through Egypt, too, but have yet to post them. If you're keen on Eygpt, I'm afraid you'll have to check out the book. It's not so much about my bike as the pleasure of being outside, on a bike, and free to go where I like and camp where I please. That's why I ride. But I'm happy to field questions on bike touring, especially for those considering a ride to far-away deserts where the info is might scant.

Yours,
Jim Malusa
Tucson, Arizona
Old 09-18-08, 01:04 PM
Biking to the Pits

Bikes: 1991 Rock 'n Road with two wheel sets, 1980 Univega Viva Sport with TA triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the above post, I mention that I'd yet to post my photos from Egypt. Well, now I have. You can find them on www.IntoThickAir.com. Enjoy.