Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Second bike for winter?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Second bike for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second bike for winter?

I road cycle and this coming winter will ride as much as I can only when it is dry out and 40F or above. Do I need a winter bike for this? I live in the center of the US and we do get snow and they do use salt / sand on the roads. I have a fairly expensive main bike but if I keep it clean and lubricated do I really need a winter bike?

If I don't need a second bike I was thinking of changing out my rims to the Hed Ardennes clincher for the little bit of extra contact patch.

Any advice?

TIA
Old 08-14-08, 06:58 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to be acquiring a winter beater, but I'm in Boston and can expect it to be non-dry and below 40F pretty much every day this winter, so it's a bit of a different situation. I guess it depends on how much you want to preserve your main bike, how much bad weather you get, how much sand and salt they use, and whether it's an option to just not commute for a few days around bad storms.
Old 08-14-08, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On dry days in the winter I think you would be fine. I ride my rig even if it is raining or snowing so I do have a dedicated winter bike. If you ride when it is dry and keep the salt cleaned off you should be pretty good though. I always think I am going to ride my good bike on the nice days but never do because the beater is always at the ready. Plus, being in Central, NY there are not a whole lot of good days in the Winter.
Old 08-14-08, 07:50 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
If you're going to ride only above 40 and dry, there's no reason for second bike... except, of course, to adhere to the N+1 rule.

I have two road bikes. My main ride is rigged for all conditions. I have yet to encounter anything it can't be ridden through. My second bike is my fun bike, and in winter, it gets ridden only in the dry above about 35. Around here, that means once or twice a month.

(N+1 Rule: The correct number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.)
Old 08-14-08, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
On a recent post (WInter Bike Care Urban commute)), I wrote:

"I commute year round and I don’t want my precious Bridgestone RB-1 to deteriorate due to winter either. I can’t advise on winterizing the bike since I defer all my maintenance to Back Bay Bikes, but I scrupulously avoid taking it out on any wetness whatsoever in Winter. Instead I have a used Cannondale Mountain Bike, which I will take on snow, but usually don’t ride on slush.

"I find that usually by the second day after a storm, I can ride my MB. Wonk that I am, for the first ten weeks of 2008, I recorded on which bike I rode 33 times; eleven of these were on the Mountain Bike."
Old 08-14-08, 08:52 AM
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have a (fifth) bike for the winter. Most of my bikes are set up with some sort of fenders, so they are wet weather bikes....to some extent. My winter bike, on the other hand, not only has full fenders, but has large mudflaps to keep the salt/sand mix from getting into the drivetrain. It has a generator hub and lights, along with several sets of blinkies (winter commuting is almost always in the dark). It is geared lower, and I will probably get a pair of Nokian Hakkapellita's for real heavy snow and packed snow. I'm also thinking of getting a chain case put on, to further protect the drivetrain.

Given all this, it is still a lot of fun to ride, and I really enjoy the peace of mind when I'm riding in the wet and dark. On the hills I notice the extra work I have to do, but it's really not a big deal.

Best of all, my other bikes are all in great shape and don't have to be cleaned all the time.

Old 08-14-08, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, N+1 and the whole salt sand issue forced my hand. Just bought a Kuota Kharma for the bad weather. Will slowly replace the 105 but for now it works and has a very nice ride and good geometry for me. The frame is fantastic for this price bike and I got what I hope is a great deal.
Old 08-14-08, 07:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am contemplating picking up a beater for the winter but I am not sure what to look for. For those of you who bike year around what would you look for? I am in Minnesota, plenty of snow and ice, and am thinking about trying to go year around this year. Scanning craigslist, I see a lot of Rockhoppers, would those work? Would a Hybrid or a mountain bike be better?

THanks,
Sean
Old 08-14-08, 07:47 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by jmel7771
Just bought a Kuota Kharma for the bad weather.
Jeepers! Helluva beater ya got there.
Old 08-14-08, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Thanks,
After riding the Look, had to get something decent. Got it for $1,700.00 and in fact it may even be an early 08. Not sure how to tell.
Old 08-14-08, 08:45 PM

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter beater or Summer beater just make sure the bike is in good condition. I think the idea is that you dont want to ruin your "Good' Bike". In areas where the roads have salting or sanding then the idea of a beater makes sense.
Remember wash down the frame, cables etc which can become victim of your neglect and then hate you and kick your ass to the floor.
if you have alot of snow then a Mountain bike or cyclocross will work fine.
A fixie with a 28 or 32 will give you great traction and fenders.

A lot of ice? Then get studded tires, just don't ride it in the house, OUCHHHH.

Rob
Old 08-14-08, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
By the way, I use to live and work in Pittsford. You need snow tires on your bike up there.
Old 08-15-08, 07:18 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

By the way, I use to live and work in Pittsford. You need snow tires on your bike up there.
Ah gots snow tires fer mah bike.

Last edited by tsl; 08-15-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 06:38 AM
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cute pony tail ya got there.
Old 10-08-08, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
...Will slowly replace the 105...
...with Tiagra or Sora components? (Why is there never a head-scratching smiley when I need one?)
Old 10-08-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...with Tiagra or Sora components? (Why is there never a head-scratching smiley when I need one?)
Nope, replaced it with 08 Chorus and HED Ardennes wheels. Not riding in the snow around here. The drivers attitudes towards cyclists are bad enough with the pavement is dry.
Old 10-08-08, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a winter bike for the bad days. If you are never going out when it's wet I'd say you are fine with just one. My winter commuter goes out when there is snow/ice/mud on the commute so I don't destroy my road bike!
Old 10-09-08, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Nope, replaced it with 08 Chorus and HED Ardennes wheels. Not riding in the snow around here. The drivers attitudes towards cyclists are bad enough with the pavement is dry.
See, I see what you're saying, I just thought the point of a beater was to use low end stuff which was inexpensive to replace because it was going to get beat up, thus the term "beater"....
Old 10-09-08, 09:49 PM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
If you're going to ride only above 40 and dry, there's no reason for second bike... except, of course, to adhere to the N+1 rule.

(N+1 Rule: The correct number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.)
+1 not for +40F and dry. That's the zone when I bust out my road bike. With that said, I wouldn't dream of discouraging another bike purchase Just think if you bought a winter bike it might encourage you to ride in, god forbid, SUB 40F temps and NOT DRY conditions!

if you want another bike, but another bike. Simple. You don't our permission.
Old 10-11-08, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I'm going to be acquiring a winter beater, but I'm in Boston and can expect it to be non-dry and below 40F pretty much every day this winter, so it's a bit of a different situation. I guess it depends on how much you want to preserve your main bike, how much bad weather you get, how much sand and salt they use, and whether it's an option to just not commute for a few days around bad storms.
What the heck are you talking about? I live south of Boston.

We live in a COLD DRY environment. It hardly snows here. It hardly rains. A cold WET place would be something like Seattle. Water is a big problem.

It also gets above 40 many times during January.
Old 10-11-08, 04:58 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0, Giant Sedona (old, winter/rain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, after a lot of snow has fallen and the temp starts to get up to 40F, you may have trouble finding dry streets. It seems like once it warms up in March / April, a lot of snow is melting during the day, giving you sporadic sprays of saltwater.
Old 10-12-08, 09:03 PM
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonC
In my opinion, after a lot of snow has fallen and the temp starts to get up to 40F, you may have trouble finding dry streets. It seems like once it warms up in March / April, a lot of snow is melting during the day, giving you sporadic sprays of saltwater.
Yes, and then the saltwater freezes at night, into black ice.
Old 10-13-08, 07:13 AM
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefferee
Yes, and then the saltwater freezes at night, into black ice.
The only answer : Studded tyres!! Get some Hakkapellita's.

Another option is not to ride - but that's unthinkable!!