Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

26" or 700c

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" or 700c

Okay guys this has been eating at me for a few days now.
I commute to work everyday around 15 miles and on the weekends i ride trails with my brothers.

As of now my bike has 27" wheels with skinny road tires and works well for commuting but not well at all on the trails. I want to get rid of the derailers and rim brakes on the bike. So what i have gotten is a rear 3 speed in the hub with coaster brake and front disc brake. I also have a set of Mavic 325 rims that look to be very nice quality, problem is when i bought them i thought they were 700c not 26" mountin bike rims. I also ordered cyclocross tires and tubes in 700c size. When i found out that the rims were the wrong size i went to a LBS and bought a set of alloy Ayra singal wall rims for $15 to get the bike up and running. At this point i have not bought any spokes for the wheels because i can't deside what size wheels to build.

On one hand i really like the Mavic rims and the smaller size i think would be good for my small 5'6" frame. on the down side i don't have tires or tubes that will fit on my frame and fork. If I'm to get tires and tubes for these wheels i can't spend more then $30 as money is a bit tight now. my frame and fork will not allow anything wider then 1.75" and even that is really tight. i would also need 72 spokes for this set up.

On the other hand i have everything to build the 700c rims minuis a few spokes and the larger wheel i think would be better for my commute. There are also many many tire options out there for this size wheel.

To be honest i'm leaning toward the 700c build and maybe use the Mavics on one of my mountin bikes.
what do you guys think?
also where is a good place to get spokes on the cheap?
Thanks
Old 08-15-08, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the market for a new commuter. I'm leaning heavily toward a (BikesDirect) Motobecane Cyclocross. I used to own the Fantom Cross but I think I'm going to get one of the higher end bikes this time. The 700c x 32 that came on my fantom cross were fine for commuting and offered plenty of speed for playing.