Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bickerton Portable

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bickerton Portable

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 07:43 PM

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bickerton Portable

Just bought this Bickerton Portable with a 3 spd Sturmey Archer. I bought it from the original owner who is a fairly old guy who is selling it because he just bought a recumbent! He even had the manual and the bag that came with the bike!

Let me know what you think about it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0015.jpg (35.6 KB, 96 views)
IMG_0018.jpg (34.6 KB, 83 views)
IMG_0023.jpg (47.1 KB, 104 views)
IMG_0025.jpg (55.4 KB, 91 views)
IMG_0021.jpg (45.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-16-08, 03:03 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
These are fun bikes, if rather flexy. I'm 18 stone, and I think I'd feel a bit wobbly on one, but I still like 'em!
Old 08-16-08, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah i saw that on boston craigslist, looks cool.
Old 08-16-08, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah i saw this one Boston craigslist, looks good.
Old 08-16-08, 12:27 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like the 'made on my own workbench with salvaged billet from a Spitfire plane' look of the bickerton. Only english engineers with leather patches on their elbows can achieve this sublime look!
Nice bike - rare outside of the uk too I wouldn't wonder.
Old 08-16-08, 01:29 PM
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by deburn
Just bought this Bickerton Portable with a 3 spd Sturmey Archer. I bought it from the original owner who is a fairly old guy who is selling it because he just bought a recumbent! He even had the manual and the bag that came with the bike!

Let me know what you think about it!
Ohh, you've got the flash version! My Bickerton is only a single speed one without that bracing bar to the seat tube. I don't have the bag for mine.

As Sammyboy has said, it is rather flexy. It is like riding a wet noodle and not the most confidence inspiring ride, but they are quite fun. They take a while to fold but fold up to a nice small package.
Old 08-16-08, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it! This is my first folder, so I'm very new to it. I havent been able to ride it since I got it (definitely tomorrow!) but I must say riding a wet noodle doesnt sound appealing! But it does sound like fun! I read somewhere that the handlebars are designed to move while riding, which sounds odd.

i was going to ride it today, but I didnt mainly because with all the quick releases it seems like I'd be asking for someone to walk away with a part. Is this true? Or is it ok to leave it locked and parked on the street for an hour or two?
Old 08-16-08, 10:11 PM
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by deburn
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it! This is my first folder, so I'm very new to it. I havent been able to ride it since I got it (definitely tomorrow!) but I must say riding a wet noodle doesnt sound appealing! But it does sound like fun! I read somewhere that the handlebars are designed to move while riding, which sounds odd.

i was going to ride it today, but I didnt mainly because with all the quick releases it seems like I'd be asking for someone to walk away with a part. Is this true? Or is it ok to leave it locked and parked on the street for an hour or two?
I wouldn't leave the bike parked on the street for an hour or so. The simple solution is to bike where you are going with the bag attached to the hooks on the handlebars. When you get to your destination, loosen all those quick releases, fold the bike up, put it the bag and carry the bag inside with you.

You bike might be a bit stiffer with that extra bracing bar. Mine just is very flexy, but I have climbed a small hillock and descended safely. With the three speed, just always start in the lowest gear and spin your way up to speed, through the gears. If you spin rather than try and mash the pedals the bike is a lot less flexy.
Old 08-17-08, 04:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from my first ride on it! I'd hardly ridden 3 blocks when a kid (of all people!) shouted out "Nice bike!" The bike is a lot of fun to ride. It is very flexy like you guys have pointed out. I rode much longer than I intended - almost 20 miles - my butt was hurting towards the end, but that may be the saddle height or the saddle. I also found it tough going up hills with only 3 gears, but overall it was a lot of fun - the handlebars not only move back and forth but they also flex in and out! In other words the handlebars can be pulled forward or pushed back depending on your prefs but you can actually "open" or "close" them so they are more comfortable!

I did get another compliment later in the ride and plenty of puzzled and odd looks!

Gnome, I havent yet folded the bike (I have a sort of fear or reluctance to do some things I havent done, and this is one of them) but I will work on it this week!
Old 08-18-08, 01:42 AM
shaken, not stirred.

20 miles at once on a Bicketon! I doubt that you can safely raise the saddle higher than it already is. The seat on mine is as high as I am prepared to go for safety - I would prefer a slightly higher saddle height.

Because you sit very upright on a Bickerton you may want to change the saddle to a wider, maybe sprung, saddle designed for an upright position.

Have fun folding it. It doesn't take long. Just make sure that when you unfold it again to make sure the quick releases are as secure as they can be.
Old 08-18-08, 01:56 AM

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might find this webpage of interest :-
https://www.bickertonbicycles.co.uk/

I've spoken to Derek the spares guy in Poole before, he was very helpful.
Old 08-18-08, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gnome, I think I raised the saddle on mine to higher than what it was when I took the pics! This morning I was quite sore, partly because of my 20 miles on the Bick but I've been riding a lot lately, but I did notice while I was riding that the saddle wasnt that comfortable.

I also found it difficult going uphill (I know, weinie ) with "only" 3 gears, but the other 2 gears came in very handy for speed. I noticed it would take a second or 2 for the gear to change - does that mean it needs a tune-up or is that normal for an internal/Sturmey Archer?

Thanks for the link diode
Old 01-06-11, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bickerton bikes

Greetings,

I am trying to ready my 2 bickerton folding bikes for sale and I was wondering if you would mind telling me how much you purchased your bike for. They've been gathering dust in our garage for over 20 years now. Bought them from the original owner with the bag and manual. They are pretty wobbly things if I remember correctly. We rode them only one time. Bought them to bring on our small plane. They are in pretty good shape with the exception of the tires would need replacing and everything would need to be oiled or something.

Thanks
Old 01-07-11, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Raleigh Sportster,Downtube IXFS (RIP), Brompton S2L

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You realise this thread is two and a half years old?

If it's any help I paid £30 for mine in rideable condition (tires with tread and tubes that held air!), but without a bag (Ikea blue bags make an ideal substitute at just 40p).

R
Old 01-07-11, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have two Bickertons. One is the original style and the other is a later one with 20" wheels. Paid $25 for the older one and $100 for the 20" Worst riding bikes I own. Roger
Old 01-07-11, 04:08 PM
shaken, not stirred.

I paid NZ$80 for my single speed Bickerton without a bag.