Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to Purchase Tools?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Where to Purchase Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where to Purchase Tools?

I was looking for a particular tool the other day at my LBS and they didn't have it, though undoubtedly could order it, and when I got home and looked at a few sites on the web, they didn't have it either. It could be because it is a new tool model replacing an old one I guess. My question is, based on your experience, which on-line locations are the best for purchasing tools (in stock, price, ease of navigation, etc). Don't just point me to a list of sites I can get from a search engine, tell me about your experience with them.
Old 02-10-04, 01:51 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What tools in particular are you looking for.
Old 02-10-04, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park CWP-6 Crank Puller is the item that I couldn't find. It is an update of the CWP-5 which I was finding almost everywhere.

After a little more surfing around, I found it at the LickBike.com site, and I actually liked thier site's navigation and prices too. Has anyone used this site?
Old 02-10-04, 06:27 PM
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ordered from lickbike.com before, they are fine folks. In fact, I think I had a 10% coupon they snail mailed me but I think it has expired and I tossed it.

Jay
Old 02-11-04, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought most of my tools from Lick. Their prices are quite good. They also carry the Ultimate line of stands at good prices too so ended up buying one from them too.
Old 02-11-04, 08:20 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going back to snobbish bike shops, some won't stock professional tools, just the consumer grade tools.
Old 02-11-04, 09:32 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't a snobbish shop only stock the high grade shop quality tools?
I am a tool snob and when I buy I only get Snap-On and Mac for general tools and bike tools I only use the Park shop grade(even at home) or Stein or the factory tools(Like Chris King hub tools or Shimano and Campy chain tools)
The only reason we carry lowend junk is because that is what the customers demands. They would rather have an $8 dollar chain tool that is a cast piece of crap than spend $30 on a Shimano chain tool that will last them the rest of their life. They hemorage over $20 for a pedal wrench, God forbid they should ever need to buy a quality tool, I've got fifteen to twenty times that in any of my torque wrenches.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 02-11-04, 10:34 PM
JRA...

Bikes: trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with the Rev, it's hard to convince most people to buy quality tools, so we have to sell lesser ones. And often, cheaper tools do make some sense, if you only do limited work on your bike. But, if you do a lot or everything, get the best you can, whether you get online or demand that snobbish bike shop to special order.
Old 02-12-04, 08:15 AM

Bikes: Atlantis, Bleriot, Waterford,Steamroller, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi for tools and miscellaneous repair parts. Prices are pretty good and their service is excellent.