Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Reflective Material called "sidelights"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Reflective Material called "sidelights"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-00, 08:30 PM

Bikes: ccm evox bent / 1992 yokota yosemite pro mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone out there know what happened to this reflective tape which would stick on to any material? I bought a set of 12- 1/2" * 1 1/2"strips from Nashbar about 10 years ago and it's disappeared from the market.The strips were made from the same material used on traffic signs,that is,a luminous chromey white,which was very visable when hit by lights at night.Great stuff! I had many comments from drivers that I was very visible on my bike.Thanks in advance for any info.....
Old 02-10-00, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, I think i had some of that stuff about 10 years ago, when i went trick-or-treating... good luck finding some. However, i just bought a vest from performance bicycle, It usese "illumiNITE" fabric, hmm, its hard to explain how it works, let me quote from there catalog....

"The illumiNite process embeds millions of microscopic sataLITE Dishes into the weave of the back to teh original light source - and because the dishes are emvbedded into the fabric, the garment remains machine-washable without losing any of its reflective properties. The illumiNITE process also helps to improvo the wind and water resistance of the fabric to which it is applied."

The vest was ~$39 +S&H. not to bad, i should be getting it sometime next week, i'll post a update of how well it works when i recive it

I just edit this becose i found out how to use italics! woohoo

[This message has been edited by RoadRash (edited 02-10-2000).]
Old 09-13-00, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haven't seen the tape for awhile but i have the illuminite vest, tights and shorts. wouldn't ride at night without it.
Old 08-31-05, 07:35 PM
ALL CITY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A.Hutchings
Anyone out there know what happened to this reflective tape which would stick on to any material? I bought a set of 12- 1/2" * 1 1/2"strips from Nashbar about 10 years ago and it's disappeared from the market.The strips were made from the same material used on traffic signs,that is,a luminous chromey white,which was very visable when hit by lights at night.Great stuff! I had many comments from drivers that I was very visible on my bike.Thanks in advance for any info.....
hi i found a site that might help...www.streetglo.net
Old 09-01-05, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how well this stuff works yet, but Jandd sells some reflective tape (adhesive or sew on). I noticed it when I was ordering a saddle bag and added it to my shipment. It's $1.50 for a 12 inch strip. I have seen reflective stickers at bike shops for like $6 so it seems a reasonable price. They don't overcharge for shipping either.

Here's the link: https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREF
Old 09-01-05, 11:19 AM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A.Hutchings
its out there 3M and ACR are two manufactures I know of. try safety supply stores they should carry it
Old 09-12-05, 10:35 AM

Bikes: '94 Trek 520, '00 Rivendell, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, Two '02 Koga Miyatas', '83 Fuji Touring, '64 Raleigh Sports, '05 REI Safari, circa '90 Schwinn Woodlands

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a copy of a blurb that I have on my website which includes the best source for reflective tape that I could find on the internet.
-----
"White tape is excellent for this kind of use and also for panniers and fenders. All which have curved surfaces, and in the case of the panniers also needs to flex without peeling. The tape is 3M SOLAS approved (used mainly at sea on lifeboats, life vests and rafts) and has a rubber base that allows it to stretch to a limited degree on compound curved surfaces, like a spherical or saddle shape. It has a really tenacious backing and will not come loose. Other metallic and cloth reflector tapes only curve in one direction, like around a tube, and does not conform to curved helmet surfaces as well. All my panniers have extra SOLAS reflector tape on them. A reasonable source of SOLAS tape is https://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html"
-----
This source also has all other kinds of reflector tape. I also have purchased some of their Reflexite brand tape (metalic backing) which is similar to what the highway depts use. It will not conform to compound curved surfaces as well as the SOLAS tape but comes in many colors and is great for bicycle frames forks, etc. that are cylindrical or flat in shape. See https://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm
Old 09-12-05, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do some work for truck and trailer supply company, and they gave me a strip of the red and white tape that outlines trailers. I think they sell it by the foot. It really reflects well.
Old 09-13-05, 12:40 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I second the Identi-tape site. Every type/color of reflective tape you can think of. Stick-on,sew-on,iron-on,you name it. I've bought from them several times with good results.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X