Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

I need some helpful opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need some helpful opinions

I've just recently gotten into bike riding
i've done a few longer rides (nothing over 100 miles) but i'm wanting to go even further
im planning on riding from Fairbanks AK to Anchorage AK but i need a better bike
right now im just riding a $200 mountain bike from walmart but im looking to get a good quality bike
i need opinions on what bike i should look at that is good for long distances, can handle both the highway and some dirt roads, and in under $1,000.
if you could give me some recommendations that would be awesome

-baileybones101
Old 08-19-08, 01:40 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/180433-newbie-s-guide-touring-bikes.html

Old 08-19-08, 02:05 PM
This is Shangri La

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out https://bikesdirect.com/ You should be able to find a good deal on bike there. Also look at some of the newer Kona bikes coming out in '08. It will likely be hard to find them right now as they just came out but no facts to back that up. There is an entry level model with downtube shifters that looks really sweet and is good deal. I recommend getting a steel bike and keeping the parts group at the Shimano 105 level or above. A few select parts in the Tiagra range are okay (chain, cassette, front derailleur). Parts like rear derailleur, brake shifters (bifters), and wheels are where you should focus your money. Parts like seat posts, saddles, handlebars, stems, etc. are cheap enough to replace as you need. The parts I listed focus on are more expensive to replace. As for wheel keep with a more traditional wheel with higher spoke count and not the fancy aero, bladded spoke, with 18 spokes.

Given you requirment for dirt riding you might want to look at a XC or cyclocross bike. They will have a slightly larger tire and have a more relaxed geometry frame (read: more upright and comfortable for long days in the saddle). Furthermore considering you are riding in Alaska, a XC bike should have a better ability to attach fenders.

Good luck with your purchase and increasing your riding distances. Report back what you end up getting or if you have more questions.