Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wide Winter Shoes

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Wide Winter Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 06:44 AM
Make mine lard...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wide Winter Shoes

I'm starting to gather stuff together for my winter commutes and need some winter cycling shoes. I need a fairly wide shoe. Anyone have any experience on the widths of the different winter cycling shoes? For reference I have tried several summer cycling shoes and found that Nikes and Addidas were too narrow for me and I'm riding a set of Lakes right now that seem to fit well. I would probably be commuting down into the teens for temps.
Old 08-21-08, 05:54 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
In high school, the swim coach said I had built-in flippers.

Lake's winter shoes come in wide. I own a pair. You have to order them online from Lake or Lickbike in Chicago since the wide sizes aren't carried through distribution (Read: QBP).

I also went with a size or two larger for extra sock and air space. I'm good to the mid-teens with one pair of socks.

Do also read the thread about the QC problem they had last year. I had a local shoe repair guy fix mine for a few bucks and had them back the next day. Seemed the easiest way. Others got in a big stink and sent them back to Lake and didn't see them for weeks.

Despite the QC issues, I was very pleased with them. I can't say I look forward to winter riding, but I know my tootsies will be toasty.

Last edited by tsl; 08-21-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 09:15 AM
Make mine lard...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing I'm between a regular shoe width and a wide. If I could get by with a regular width on the Lake winter shoes I'd actually be able to get a set at a pretty good discount along with using points at Perfomance. Anyone riding a regular width set of the Lakes?