Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Ignoring Subject Areas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 10:05 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignoring Subject Areas?

Joe,

Is there a way to put an entire subject area on ignore? Preferably a way where the area doesn't even show up on my screen? Although I realize I have the option of opening each subject area, I don't like wading through the garbage after selecting the "View New Posts" option. :confused:
Old 12-24-01, 10:22 PM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm right there with you, Gus. Seems to be getting a bit out of hand around here.
Old 12-24-01, 11:03 PM
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto!

The other thing I was wondering about was if you could put an ignore post option right on a posters response or post instead of having to go to their profile and doing it from there. I notice that you can add them to your buddy list but cannot put them on the ignore list right from a post. I don't really want to have to go to too much trouble with some of these new posters to get rid of them. It really isn't worth my effort.
Old 12-25-01, 05:28 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I thought the "view new posts" option also showed the subject area of that post.

For the moment I'm giving dynokid/bluebmx the benefit of the doubt. Having read his posts, he does seem to have some useful advice to offer people. I just hope he can express it in the right way.

That is all.
Old 12-25-01, 11:38 AM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No doubt about that chris, i told him i would give him a 2nd chance as well. Im going to PM some of the other BMX folks and let them know of the situation.

In all honestly, i could do without the BMX forum, if this continues, i'll delete it *shrug*.

Gus, i'll look into a forum ignore feature. I dont think it will be to hard to code in.
Old 12-28-01, 09:43 AM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know Joe, I was think a "Beginner/Newbie" forum would be cool. It would be for people coming here for advice about buying a new bike or gear. That way, it( the beginner questions) would all be in one place. I go through all the threads looking for people in need of advice so I can try to help them out, and having all the question right in one place would be super. I wasn't going to say anything because we have a ton of forums alrwady, but you were mentioning deleting the BMX forum, so I figured we could put the beginner thread in its place.
Old 12-28-01, 02:14 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
originally posted by Joe Gardner
In all honestly, i could do without the BMX forum, if this continues, i'll delete it *shrug*.
I just visited the BMX forum for the first time. Your comments made me a little curious.
Judging by the few posts I read I wouldn't miss it. Course I ride road bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-28-01, 02:40 PM
0^0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just went and checked uot the BMX forum myself. I don't have anything against people who BMX, and I have nothing against people who want to talk about it. But the BMX forum (IMO) has become a place for little kids to argue, I saw only a few threads on the main page that were about BMX. The rest of it, I would say, is an embarrasment to the forums. Nowhere on this forum will you find such stupidity as in the latest threads in BMX. There are other forums where you can go to argue and spam,and not stay on topic, but not here. That is the way Joe, and all the other members want it. I will lose no sleep over the loss of the BMX forum.
Old 12-28-01, 03:21 PM

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Originally posted by fubar5
I just went and checked uot the BMX forum myself. I don't have anything against people who BMX, and I have nothing against people who want to talk about it. But the BMX forum (IMO) has become a place for little kids to argue, I saw only a few threads on the main page that were about BMX. The rest of it, I would say, is an embarrasment to the forums. Nowhere on this forum will you find such stupidity as in the latest threads in BMX. There are other forums where you can go to argue and spam,and not stay on topic, but not here. That is the way Joe, and all the other members want it. I will lose no sleep over the loss of the BMX forum.
I couldn't agree more if I tried.

That is all.
Old 12-28-01, 05:01 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There hasn't been much traffic over there in the last couple of days. I think they found a place that might have suited their needs better.

Old 12-28-01, 05:31 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup

I’m going to leave the forum there for now, I know a lot of us started with a BMX bike. I’m sure the forum has helped some riders, and has the potential to help a lot of other riders.
Old 12-28-01, 11:08 PM
0^0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
coolio.
Old 01-08-02, 04:55 AM
where's the summer!?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i had never looked at the bmx forum until i read this thread. so i went and had a look and i thought it was hilarious! sure they can't spell and their punctuation might be awful etc, etc but it doesn't really matter does it? it's the internet, it attracts all different types, be open-minded. if you don't like what they say on the bmx subjects why read it in the first place? i can't believe that their comments can get to some of you! i dunno maybe i'm more open-minded or not as easily offended as others around here...................

cabledonut.
Old 01-08-02, 07:23 AM
0^0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by cabledonut
well i had never looked at the bmx forum until i read this thread. so i went and had a look and i thought it was hilarious! sure they can't spell and their punctuation might be awful etc, etc but it doesn't really matter does it? it's the internet, it attracts all different types, be open-minded. if you don't like what they say on the bmx subjects why read it in the first place? i can't believe that their comments can get to some of you! i dunno maybe i'm more open-minded or not as easily offended as others around here...................

cabledonut.
The BMX stuff didn't offend me at all. My problem with it is that Joe has worked really hard to keep the site clean and free of stupid bickerings like the ones in the BMX forum. Plus many members donated money because they like the site, and they like the site BECAUSE Joe keeps it clean. That is why I don't mind if the BMX forum goes away. If this was just some board were the webmaster didn't care and the users didn't care, well, I wouldn't care.
Old 01-08-02, 09:57 AM
HomeBrew Master!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cabledonut.
My problem with it did not develop because I am not open minded. Rather it came about because of unwanted exposure to it when selecting the "View New Posts" option above. I (and everyone else who uses the option) had to wade through all the threads that I wanted to ignore to read the threads which interested me.

This is and has been a clean place to come too. It is usually free of vulgar language, and senseless attacks on the members and I appreciate that. Because some of the thread "titles" offended me or rubbed me the wrong way I asked for a means to put a section on ignore so that it's threads did not show on "my" computer screen when I selected "View New Posts".

With a capability like that, I could more effectively "ignore" them, which was my intention all along. I really couldn't care less if they were in the BMX section typing whatever they wanted to, I just didn't want to be an inadvertent participant to it.

Was this an unwarranted question? Did it make me close-minded?

It is pretty much of a mute point now anyway. There hasn't been much traffic in that section in a long while, I assume they found a BMX site that suite their needs better.
Old 01-10-02, 07:10 PM

well i had never looked at the bmx forum until i read this thread. so i went and had a look and i thought it was hilarious! sure they can't spell and their punctuation might be awful etc, etc but it doesn't really matter does it?
The only comment I'll make is that you didn't see the threads that were deleted. I personally wasn't offended (I simply do not get offended) but I can see how others might have been.

That is all.
Old 01-10-02, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope the BMX'ers behave well enough that their forum can continue. Face it - they are the bikers of tomorrow. Kids don't ride bikes otherwise these days.
Hopefully by staying on the forum they will pick up a little etiquette from the rest of us and learn a little bit about bicycling in the process. Personally I expect their section to be a little bit out of control. That's why I don't go there. While I respect Joe's right to censer any offensive poster I don't think harassing them and chasing them off to other forums serves our best interests in the long run.
Old 02-20-02, 10:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reading these posts and saw this one. i joined this for the bmx part and i think you should keep it. thats all i have to say