Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't get chain on all rear cogs by cable

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-21-08, 12:04 PM
0.o

Bikes: Raleight Pioneer Elite commuter (the cro-mo slo-mo), Giant ATX 890 mtb, Centurion road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any ideas why I can't get the RD to access the big AND little sprocket?

I messed around for at least half an hour (again) with cable tension, barrel adjusters and finally settled on the 'big hammer' approach of loosening and tightening the cable at the RD attachment point, holding the cable with locking pliers and using my thumb/eye to gauge the movement of the RD. I have looked from behind the bike and set the stopping points on the RD - the RD CAN get the chain on all the sprockets if the RD is pushed/pulled into position by hand, but the cable won't move it all the way from big to little sprocket. (have just replaced the cables and housings on this bike, it's an old flat bar 700c I use for commuting)

The best I've been able to get it to is start on the smallest sprocket and get it to shift to the second-largest, then adjust the tension with the barrel adjuster so the chain is rubbing quite a lot, but it still wouldn't get on the largest sprocket. At the moment I have it set so that it can't get to the smallest cog, which is OK because with the new cables I can finally access the big gear up front

Any ideas would be great. I'm getting more and more comfortable with adjusting the bike so I'll be happy to try just about anything.
Old 08-21-08, 12:34 PM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by krushgroove
(have just replaced the cables and housings on this bike, it's an old flat bar 700c I use for commuting)
How many cogs are on the rear?
Did you recently change the shifter?
Has it ever worked correctly and full range with the current shifter?
Is the shifter indexed and if so does it give an appropriate number of clicks?
Old 08-21-08, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Are you using 9-spd shifters/RD with 10-spd cogset?
Old 08-21-08, 12:38 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Sounds like the limit screws need to be backed out a bit. Go slow, like 1/4 turn at a time.
https://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53
Old 08-21-08, 01:01 PM
0.o

Bikes: Raleight Pioneer Elite commuter (the cro-mo slo-mo), Giant ATX 890 mtb, Centurion road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many thanks for the quick replies!

Originally Posted by treebound
How many cogs are on the rear? 7, should have mentioned this, sorry
Did you recently change the shifter? yes but I (maybe naively) don't think it matters because the RD can be pushed by hand to get the chain on all the cogs
Has it ever worked correctly and full range with the current shifter? no, and not with the old RD either but the old cables were pretty crap
Is the shifter indexed and if so does it give an appropriate number of clicks? yes and yes
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Are you using 9-spd shifters/RD with 10-spd cogset?
Nah, it's an old Raleigh with 3 chainrings up front and 7 speeds in the rear

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Sounds like the limit screws need to be backed out a bit. Go slow, like 1/4 turn at a time.
https://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53
right, I'll give this a try, thanks for the heads up!

edit - got it sorted out, printed the Park FD and RD adjustment guides and went through them step by step this time! I can get to all my gears now! awesome thanks for all the replies

Last edited by krushgroove; 08-21-08 at 03:02 PM.