Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton Sturmey Archer Hub slips on 1st Gear

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton Sturmey Archer Hub slips on 1st Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 12:37 PM
Lyen

Bikes: Dahon 2007 Cadenza, 2006 Speed Pro, 2005 Helios SL, 2004 Roo El, Minimoto Electric Bike, USPD Currie Electro Drive Electric Bike, Schwinn Scooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton Sturmey Archer 5 Speed Hub slips on 1st Gear

Hello All! Today my old Brompton T5 (1999 model) with a 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub slips on the first gear when I pedal it with force even flat ground. Does anyone experienced the same problem with their Brompton? Would that be cause by the internal cog/gear damage or does it simply needs some kind of adjustment? If the hub is really defective, is it still possible to get a replacement for such an outdated hub? On the hub it has the following information "Made In 99-7 England, Sprinter". I heard read someone mentioned the 1st & the 5st gear uses the same cog or part. I then tried to see if the 5th gear slips with force but the 5th gear is good even when I step-up pedaling it. My other M3L does not slip at all. I appreciate your help. Cheers!

Last edited by lyen; 08-21-08 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Needs add more info.
Old 08-21-08, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you running the 2-cable or single-cable sturmey 5 speed?

If 5th works, but 1st doesn't, it means that 1st is not fully engaged. I suspect the return spring is not fully allowing 1st gear to engage. Try pedaling backwards a bit when shifting to 1st and let us know if it helps.

Last edited by K6-III; 08-21-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 03:12 PM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjustment?

I don't know the five speeds, but the cable adjustment is critical on all of them, especially the five speeds, I think.

That's your first port of call, anyhow, and by far the easiest to solve.
Old 08-21-08, 03:18 PM
Lyen

Bikes: Dahon 2007 Cadenza, 2006 Speed Pro, 2005 Helios SL, 2004 Roo El, Minimoto Electric Bike, USPD Currie Electro Drive Electric Bike, Schwinn Scooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a single-cable 5 speed hub. I could not locate the returning spring. Is it inside or outside the hub? I'd just tried to pedaling backwards when shifting to first gear and it is still slips on the first gear.

Last edited by lyen; 08-22-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 03:41 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It looks like your hub is the Sturmey Sprinter 5 speed.

Start by referencing the manual here and verifying that the cable is adjusted properly:

https://www.hadland.me.uk/spr5.pdf
Old 08-21-08, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Hon Solo, 2007 Dahon Curve D3, 1979 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the Sturmey Archers if the cable adjustment is dead-on and they still slip in low gears, the cones need a little adjusting with a cone wrench. Its risky to adjust the cones, but I found it was the only way to keep my SA 8 speed from slipping. Since yours is not the same model, I'm not sure if its set up exactly the same, but here's how I did it:
First, work up your nerve by drinking a beer or two. Then, with the bike in the highest gear, turn the left hand cone nut to the LEFT (towards the handle bars) in tiny increments. It will be in the right spot when you can just shift out of the highest gear. If its too tight, turn it back to the right a tiny, tiny bit until it can shift down. This stopped my slipping entirely.
Old 08-22-08, 08:02 AM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caaah
With the Sturmey Archers if the cable adjustment is dead-on and they still slip in low gears, the cones need a little adjusting with a cone wrench. Its risky to adjust the cones, but I found it was the only way to keep my SA 8 speed from slipping. Since yours is not the same model, I'm not sure if its set up exactly the same, but here's how I did it:
First, work up your nerve by drinking a beer or two. Then, with the bike in the highest gear, turn the left hand cone nut to the LEFT (towards the handle bars) in tiny increments. It will be in the right spot when you can just shift out of the highest gear. If its too tight, turn it back to the right a tiny, tiny bit until it can shift down. This stopped my slipping entirely.
STOP ---- DON'T Drink the beer.

There is no worse start to any job than drinking beer. I like beer, but it doesn't mix with anything other than sitting about. Whenever I have drunk beer and tried to do a job, I ruin the thing I'm working on.
Old 08-22-08, 08:25 AM

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Hon Solo, 2007 Dahon Curve D3, 1979 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beer helps me. But I'm just weird.
Old 08-22-08, 08:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Interesting, I think I'll try it. The cone adjustment, that is. If it doesn't work, have a beer and try it again. If it doesn't work, have another beer and repeat as necessary. Simply stop when you can't tell whether the gears are slipping, or don't care any more.
Old 08-22-08, 08:53 AM

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
Interesting, I think I'll try it. The cone adjustment, that is. If it doesn't work, have a beer and try it again. If it doesn't work, have another beer and repeat as necessary. Simply stop when you can't tell whether the gears are slipping, or don't care any more.
The owner's manual should suggest which beers go with which hubs, but as a general rule of thumb:

SA: Bass, Smithwicks...maybe Guinness.

Shimano: Kirin, Asahi

Older Sachs/SRAM: any unfiltered Hefeweizen.

Newer SRAM: Anchor Steam; Sierra Nevada...sometimes Hefeweizen will still work.
Old 08-22-08, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I wonder if the OP can swap out components with the current Sturmey Archer 5 speed?
Old 08-22-08, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try tensioning the cable a little bit. Had the same problem with a SRAM hub. Might be the same solution.