Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy some tires

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a place on the web to buy some Schwalbe Marathon XR HS 359 700 40's? I google'd it but, wanted to see where other people get there's off the internet.

Thanks in advance,

monkd
Old 08-22-08, 07:59 PM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't mention where you are. So, if in North America try Schwalbe USA:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1320

If elsewhere try Schwalbes main site.

EDIT: Adding-Be wary of discounted Schwalbe Marathon's online. I ended up with 3 bad tires (700c) on my year tour. All 3 had sidewall failures after a couple thousand Km. The replacement tires shipped out by Schwalbe USA are still fine and dandy (~10K Km+).

Last edited by Camel; 08-22-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in North America. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-22-08, 11:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have said wallbike https://www.wallbike.com/tires.html but they're out of stock

Maybe Peter White Cycles https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp

or contact Schwalbe USA as per Camel
Old 08-23-08, 04:22 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT; Surly Ogre; Sekai 1970s classic; Old Trek Hard-tail Mountain Bike; Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkd
Can anyone recommend a place on the web to buy some Schwalbe Marathon XR HS 359 700 40's? I google'd it but, wanted to see where other people get there's off the internet.
I've been using these same tires, but in the next width down, on one of my bikes. I love the ride and performance, but I have been surprised by the number and frequency of flats, all of them in the rear tire. Am I just expecting too much of this tire?

A few weeks ago I swapped them front to rear. I'd give them another 2K miles. I would say that I have 3K on them already. Of course, my LBS thinks I should change tires more often but I am a good customer and they can live with my stinginess. I've been to a few third world countries where you would ride a tire down to the last of the tread, so I feel like I have to ride them further. So I have had about one flat tire every 400-500 miles. That's enough flats to really be annoying to me. Do you think I am expecting too much? Chicago is rough on tires. I ride with them at very high pressure. I keep them in the 90 lb range.

I find that Panracer's (my other road touring bike) don't get as many flats, and have a smoother ride sound, but they just don't feel quite as connected to the road. So I am wondering it I should continue with the Schwalbe's when I replace them.

Howard
Old 08-23-08, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting comments. I thought these tires were bomb proof. That's why I was considering them. I am a heavy rider 260 and have about 2500 miles on my LHT with Schalbe Marathons and have never had a flat. I've been on some pretty bad bike trails, chip and seal roads, dirt road, singletrack, and the C&O Canal trail. The loaded touring I have done is with a Bob but, I have put on a several 80 - 100 mile days. I run my tires about 80 psi and they are 32's.

I think that if I had change a flat every 500 miles, I might go crazy. In general I don't think your asking too much but, it all depends on how many holes/objects you hit and your particular type of bike handling.

Thanks for your reply,

monkd
Old 08-23-08, 09:03 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I live fairly close to you, and average a flat every other day, or about every 100 miles.

I'm getting really good at fixing tires!

Specialized Burroughs XC Pros.

I'm strongly considering Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700X40C.
Old 08-23-08, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Niagaracycle.com for Schwalbes. Great prices. They're located in Lewiston NY.
Old 08-23-08, 11:58 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
[B][COLOR="Green"]I live fairly close to you, and average a flat every other day, or about every 100 miles.

Yikes!

I think the 3 brands I see mentioned the most as being flat-resistant are the Schwalbe's mentioned above, Continental Gatorskins and Specialized Armadillos.

I've had the Gatorskins and had very good luck with them.
I also have stock Bontrager 32c's on a Trek 520 with zero flats after 2,500 miles of mostly commuter miles.

If I had a flat every other day I'd switch, pronto.
Old 08-23-08, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by monkd
I think that if I had change a flat every 500 miles, I might go crazy. In general I don't think your asking too much but, it all depends on how many holes/objects you hit and your particular type of bike handling.
A bigger factor might be where you live or ride. If for example there are goathead thorns the number of flats goes up a lot.

I don't find changing a flat once in a while to be a huge deal. Changing one as often as some here say they do would be too much though.

I am currently using Marathon + tires and they are pretty flat resistant, but I don't think I would buy a tire that heavy again.
Old 08-23-08, 01:37 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Yikes!

I think the 3 brands I see mentioned the most as being flat-resistant are the Schwalbe's mentioned above, Continental Gatorskins and Specialized Armadillos.

I've had the Gatorskins and had very good luck with them.
I also have stock Bontrager 32c's on a Trek 520 with zero flats after 2,500 miles of mostly commuter miles.

If I had a flat every other day I'd switch, pronto.
It is the Specialized Burroughs that are flatting all the time - Schwalbe is what i want to switch to - if I can find them in stock anywhere - waiting on Niagra to get back to me via e-mail

And, now I've got all these patches to use........
Old 08-23-08, 07:15 PM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't recall getting any flats due to puncture. My issue was with faulty Schwalbes which I bought at discount online-premature sidewall failure where the bead separated from the sidewall.

I conject that there was a bad lot or lots which were meant to be destroyed, but somehow some online dealers got there hands on them (and sold them at discount).

-For a big trip I would highly recommend that one does not try to save a few bucks on tires. It really was not worth the hassles involved. I spent gobs of time trying to track down suitable touring tires. I can now recommend a passle of bike shops from Romania to Kashgar thru Ukraine & a tiny bit of Russia , Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan. None had suitable 700c tires (great MTB kit though). In the end I had to wait for a few weeks in Kashgar (watching my Visa time tick down) for replacements to be shipped out from Schwalbe USA.

I likely saved 20$ on the 3 tires I initially bought.

The time wasted-just counting room & board was likely several hundred dollars. The delayed start Kashgar to Lhasa also meant it was colder, and I had less Visa Time. I was forced to hitch rides for ~2/3 of that section.